Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about fishing.

+2
KralCamper
chuck
6 posters

Go down

Thinking about fishing. Empty Thinking about fishing.

Post  chuck Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:05 am

I am not much of a fisherman.. long story I'll share with you someday.. but anyway... I have been thinking about getting a little fishing rod and reel and some tackle.. to keep in the camper in case I wanna go. I guess I also would need to get a license (at least in Tennessee).

Looked at a rod and reel combo at K-Mart the other day.., a ZEBCO 202.. and a 404. Are these decent for the "part time - occassional" fisherman? Do you prefer the "open" or closed reels? any suggestions.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Thinking about fishing. Empty Re: Thinking about fishing.

Post  KralCamper Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:09 pm

chuck wrote:I am not much of a fisherman.. long story I'll share with you someday.. but anyway... I have been thinking about getting a little fishing rod and reel and some tackle.. to keep in the camper in case I wanna go. I guess I also would need to get a license (at least in Tennessee).

Looked at a rod and reel combo at K-Mart the other day.., a ZEBCO 202.. and a 404. Are these decent for the "part time - occassional" fisherman? Do you prefer the "open" or closed reels? any suggestions.

Dar prefers a closed reel, I prefer an open reel, Aaron will use either one. I guess that goes to show that a lot of it is personal preference. All were under $40 bucks. As you know Chuck, we love to fish, but still fall under the "occasional" label. That being said, I would find one you like, at a comfortable price, and go for it. I feel that most affordable rods, reels, or combo's will satisfy your fishing needs.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:41 pm

The closed reel just has one button to push as you release, the open reel you will need to flip the spring down while one finger holds down the fishing line before release. That is what I didn't like.

The close reel is what I used as a kid when dad and I would go fishing. I like the open reel but it's not the same.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Thinking about fishing. Empty fishing

Post  Crawford Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:54 pm

How about a pocket fisherman by Ron Popell I've was thinking about getting one just incase and takes no room
and if anyone know any store in area selling them pipe in thanks. Crawford Very Happy Question
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Thinking about fishing. Empty fishing

Post  Crawford Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:18 am

Just went on line punch in Ronco.com found it 29.95 plus shipping 4.95 total 34.90 guess I got another gagat for coach this I can hide this from DW LOL Crawford Very Happy Laughing
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  fisherpal2k Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:21 am

Chuck, I use both and it really depends on what your preference is. I have a travel rod that I bought at wally world and keep it in the truck. I carry a few small items of tackle and it keeps me happy from time to time. lol
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:59 am

Hey fisherpal.. what do you mean by "travel rod"?
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fisherpal2k Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:06 am

Its a four piece rod that breaks down into a pack about 18" long and has a spinning reel and a small tackle box with it. I keep it behind the seat of the truck and usually have it around somewhere all the time.
I have another short rod that I keep to take along to fish in the small creeks around here also. It is small and works pretty well. I used it on a trip to Neveda and fished in Lake Pyramid with it. I have caught some good sized fish with it and even some small ones too. lol Very Happy
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 pm

I've got one of those that lives in the camper, Fisherpal. I wonder if mine's shorter. Probably is.

Then again, men shouldn't start talking about who has the shortest rod.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Chuck have you found a fishing rod? We hope to do some fishing a Bandy. I also hope to do the train ride, but Aaron is excited about fishing. We always have a extra rod or two if you haven't found one, that's if you would like to go fishing. Hey why not!!!
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:08 pm

I haven't bought a rod and reel yet.. I probably will soon. I probably won't fish at BANDY CREEK.. I will have Max.. and will probably just hang around the camp site with him. Besides.. I need to get a license too.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 pm

chuck wrote:I haven't bought a rod and reel yet.. I probably will soon. I probably won't fish at BANDY CREEK.. I will have Max.. and will probably just hang around the camp site with him. Besides.. I need to get a license too.
Chuck, for the occasional fisherman, I suggest a zebco 33 combo. Cheap and good. I keep a little mini "travel rod" in the camper. It's always there, remind me to show it to you sometime. I need to replace the line on it, come to think of it. After a few years fishing line can become brittle.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Richard wrote:Chuck, for the occasional fisherman, I suggest a zebco 33 combo. Cheap and good.

I have seen the ZEBCO 33 combo.. That's kinda what I am looking at.. just not sure if I want a closed or open reel. I should be able to get a rod and reel at WAL-MART or K-MART for less than $30.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down