Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

They didn't bite worms at Douglas Dam Tailwater

+3
KralCamper
fisherpal2k
Richard
7 posters

Go down

They didn't bite worms at Douglas Dam Tailwater Empty They didn't bite worms at Douglas Dam Tailwater

Post  Richard Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:08 am

We gave it several good try's and didn't get a nibble fishing along the rip-rap rocks that line the river at Douoglas Dam Tailwater campground. We tried it when the dam was flowing, when it was not flowing, when the water was high and when it was low. Nothing!

Either the fish were not there, not biting, or red worms were not a good menu choice.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

They didn't bite worms at Douglas Dam Tailwater Empty Re: They didn't bite worms at Douglas Dam Tailwater

Post  fisherpal2k Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Take along the old recipe( boom) and it works great. lol
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

They didn't bite worms at Douglas Dam Tailwater Empty Re: They didn't bite worms at Douglas Dam Tailwater

Post  KralCamper Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 am

fisherpal2k wrote:Take along the old recipe( boom) and it works great. lol

Might I inquire just what is the "old recipe (boom)" Fisherpal2k?
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Plead the 5th Ammendment Fisherpal.

Last edited by Richard on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Richard wrote:
KralCamper wrote:
fisherpal2k wrote:Take along the old recipe( boom) and it works great. lol

Might I inquire just what is the "old recipe (boom)" Fisherpal2k?

Plead the 5th Ammendment Fisherpal.

Expert advice Shocked
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fisherpal2k Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:23 am

Well, there is two different formulas that we used to use up in the mountains to make it go "boom"

First one is a little loud.. dynamite. cherry

affraid
The 2nd one was to use carbide in a baby food jar with a small rag poked thru a hole in the lid. Put rocks in it to make it sink and the carbide has a severe reaction to water and it displaces the water just a mite and the fish will float to the top.

Just a little mountain humor there. lol!

DISCLAIMER:::: Both of which are now illeagal...
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 am

Both of those were my grandaddy's favorite fishing "SECRETS". He always came home with lots of fish and until I was about 8, I thought he was the greatest fisherman that ever lived. He took me on one of his "night fishing trips" when I was 8 and I found out that he cheated. But, there was always lots of fish to eat at their house!

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Deleted, irrelevant.

Last edited by Richard on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:38 pm

fisherpal2k wrote:Well, there is two different formulas that we used to use up in the mountains to make it go "boom"

First one is a little loud.. dynamite. cherry

affraid
The 2nd one was to use carbide in a baby food jar with a small rag poked thru a hole in the lid. Put rocks in it to make it sink and the carbide has a severe reaction to water and it displaces the water just a mite and the fish will float to the top.

Just a little mountain humor there. lol!

DISCLAIMER:::: Both of which are now illeagal...

Are you just joking or is this really something that used to happen? I hope not my dad fished like crazy and I thought I fished like him...I like the fishing pole better
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Deleted, irrelevant.

Last edited by Richard on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

They didn't bite worms at Douglas Dam Tailwater Empty fishing

Post  Crawford Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:27 pm

The other was was frag them suckers we got a lot of fish in NAM at least 4 or more you may need to take out some metal pieces and you didn't need a fishing license LOL Crawford
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Sounds quite effective!

Last edited by Richard on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fisherpal2k Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:55 am

Yes Darlene, these were actually things used to get food for the table a few years ago. Illeagle maybe, but it was a way of life in the mountains.
I prefer the fishing pole myself. I usually use artificial lures instead of bait anymore, and have a grreat time doing it. But, I am not above going back to using bait if I need to get a few fish for food. Laughing

Things were different back years ago and game was not as accesible or as plentiful as it is now. Where I came from you had to depend on what you either caught or took from the field for a better part of your food source.

I would reccomend anyone to buy a fishing or hunting licence now as this is basically the main stay in the TWRA's use for replenishing game and to keep the deer herds and fish hatcheries going.

I used to would hide when a game warden was close by because they would usually have a piece of paper waiting for me if they caught me. Today things are a lot different. God has blessed me with a good family and a place to live. I have a decent job and can afford to put food on the table and even go out to eat sometimes. I can remember when times weren't as good and I now look back and thank God that he kept us together growing up and all my family has done better for themselves.

Even tho times have changed, I now persue the game for a different reason. Fishing is my favorite pastime but I still go hunting ever now and then. Its not always the excitement of killing. I haven't killed anything in years. It is just the enjoyment that I get out of being out and about, catch a few fish for food and release the rest. I found out long ago that catch and release does not work while hunting. So I just use the time to clear my head and try to get life straight before I come back into the real world.
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:51 pm

That was a great story Fisherpal2k, and I was just joking when I asked what "boom" was. I really did want to see what your answer would be and you did not disappoint. I understand where you are coming from back then.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down