Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beach Camping

+3
chuck
Darcamper
bluebird
7 posters

Go down

Beach Camping Empty Beach Camping

Post  bluebird Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:12 pm

I'd like to hear some feedback on beach camping.

This is something that's always been a dream of mine, but although I've done about every other imaginable kind of camping, this is a dream that remains unfulfilled.

For some reason, I just can't get my family on board with the idea! They are convinced that the hassle will be more than it's worth, what with sand everywhere etc., plus we are not exactly close to a beach! They think if we have to travel that far, we would be happier in a motel or condo.

Anyone care to share the pros and cons of beach camping from their own personal experience? Any tips for keeping things clean and relatively sand-free?

Also, what are some of the closest beaches to this area? (We mostly camp in Tennessee, North Alabama or North Georgia.)

Thanks for any info!

bluebird

Back to top Go down

Beach Camping Empty Re: Beach Camping

Post  Darcamper Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:07 pm

Bluebird, we have camped at the Beach (well close to the Beach) we would walk about 500 feet and we would be there. We camped the first time in tents, brought electric cord and fans, it only rained once. The second time we had the pop up. Over all we ate at the site and enjoyed the fact that we were that close to the beach... We love it and plan to do it again
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 pm

I would like to have a caravan of campers.. headed for Myrtle Beach.. Maybe 5 or 6 (or more) campers in tow. We could meet somewhere and travel together. Stopping along the way for food and rest stops.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:17 pm

I am always ready to beach camp. It is so different then camping around private camp grounds.
Dar
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebird Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:20 pm

That would be a blast, Chuck!

Dar, may I ask where you camped? How far did you have to travel?

Were you cleaning out sand forever?

bluebird

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:24 pm

Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina.
Darlene
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebird Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Darcamper wrote:Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina.
Darlene

I've heard it's really nice there!

bluebird

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:36 pm

I drove through Huntington Beach SP while I was in Myrtle Beach last month. I also toured Myrtle Beach SP.. Huntington would be my choice... much nicer.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:39 pm

if you CLICK HERE, zoom in on the map and click a site.. you can see a pic of that site.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:49 pm

bluebird wrote:I'd like to hear some feedback on beach camping.

This is something that's always been a dream of mine, but although I've done about every other imaginable kind of camping, this is a dream that remains unfulfilled.

For some reason, I just can't get my family on board with the idea! They are convinced that the hassle will be more than it's worth, what with sand everywhere etc., plus we are not exactly close to a beach! They think if we have to travel that far, we would be happier in a motel or condo.

Anyone care to share the pros and cons of beach camping from their own personal experience? Any tips for keeping things clean and relatively sand-free?

Also, what are some of the closest beaches to this area? (We mostly camp in Tennessee, North Alabama or North Georgia.)

Thanks for any info!

bluebird,

pros...
Depending on the campground, The pros are all there. Sun, fun, beach, camping, campfires, did I say Camping?? It is also much less expensive to camp than to stay at a hotel/condo. Especially when you are camping AT the beach.

cons...
Other than the sand, which can easily be controlled by simply rinsing your feet off at the spigot at your campground or, keeping a pan with some water in it right by the camper to step in before you go into the camper. At Huntington Beach State Park, SC (approx 17 miles south of Myrtle Beach) the sites are grassy. Just like most other campgrounds, there is not a lot of sand at the campsites.

Dave
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:52 pm

chuck wrote:I would like to have a caravan of campers.. headed for Myrtle Beach.. Maybe 5 or 6 (or more) campers in tow. We could meet somewhere and travel together. Stopping along the way for food and rest stops.
I'm with you on a caravan.

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:22 am

coolbreeze1 wrote:
chuck wrote:I would like to have a caravan of campers.. headed for Myrtle Beach.. Maybe 5 or 6 (or more) campers in tow. We could meet somewhere and travel together. Stopping along the way for food and rest stops.
I'm with you on a caravan.

Ditto
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Beach Camping Empty RE: Beach Camping

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:57 am

We could all get CB's and have us a convoy Smile Sorry flashback's from the 70's What a Face

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:50 am

coolbreeze1 wrote:We could all get CB's and have us a convoy Smile Sorry flashback's from the 70's What a Face

CB (no pun intended) as 70's as that is we could and it could be a good way to keep in touch. Breaker Breaker One nine LOL
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:57 am

craigw wrote:
coolbreeze1 wrote:We could all get CB's and have us a convoy Smile Sorry flashback's from the 70's What a Face

CB (no pun intended) as 70's as that is we could and it could be a good way to keep in touch. Breaker Breaker One nine LOL
Go there Breaker, you've got the Coolbreeze on your backdoor, with the hammer down Shocked

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:06 am

coolbreeze1 wrote:
craigw wrote:

Go there Breaker, you've got the Coolbreeze on your backdoor, with the hammer down Shocked

afro
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebird Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:25 pm

KralCamper wrote:
bluebird wrote:I'd like to hear some feedback on beach camping.

Thanks for any info!

bluebird,

pros...
Depending on the campground, The pros are all there. Sun, fun, beach, camping, campfires, did I say Camping?? It is also much less expensive to camp than to stay at a hotel/condo. Especially when you are camping AT the beach.

cons...
Other than the sand, which can easily be controlled by simply rinsing your feet off at the spigot at your campground or, keeping a pan with some water in it right by the camper to step in before you go into the camper. At Huntington Beach State Park, SC (approx 17 miles south of Myrtle Beach) the sites are grassy. Just like most other campgrounds, there is not a lot of sand at the campsites.

Dave

Thank you for all the good information. Definitely sounds like more pros than cons!

bluebird

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:47 pm

We should defiantly put this on the list for next year. I think it would be a blast to go with a group and caravan there.

Smile
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Beach Camping Empty Beach Camping

Post  KralCamper Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:57 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention about Huntington Beach SP,SC is that they have open air showers at the boardwalks as you come off of the beach so you can rinse the ocean water and sand off.

Dave
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Beach Camping Empty Sorry I'm late on this one

Post  merrykalia Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Just my comments on camping at the beach - I wouldn't have it any other way.

We have camped at the beach for the last 12 years...1st time was by accident, kinda. We had experienced a REALLY cool, wet spring and we wanted warmth, sunshine and sand. Stopped at the SC welcome center and one of the hostesses had just returned from Hunting Island, SC. She asked if we liked to camp and we told her we always had 2 sleeping bags, propane lantern/stove and a flashlight. She sent us there. We got there after dark, but next day checked it out and stayed for 12 days (in a tent). We have camped in our popup, our hybrid and now our TT.

We can go to the beach and camp for less than $600/week. Can anybody else do that?

If you haven't, check out Hunting Island SP on the web. The entire island is a state park with 200+ campsites, about 4 miles of beachfront, water/electric at each site with 2 dumpstations, about 10 bathhouses spread out among the campsites, a campstore, playground, picnic pavilion, volleyball on the beach. Lots of fishing - surf and pier, crabbing pier, 8 cabins for rent, a saltwater lagoon for fishing and a lighthouse that you can climb.

It is one of my most favorite places on earth. The only bad thing about the place are the number of mosquitoes. They are horrible. You HAVE to wear LOTS of bug spray, use citronella and anything else you can find. No

It's about a 20 minute drive from Beaufort, SC, 45 minutes from Hilton Head, hour from Charleston and about an hour from Savannah.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down