Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richard's Pop Up Mods

+8
merrykalia
KralCamper
abivens
craigw
Darcamper
chuck
coolbreeze1
Richard
12 posters

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Richard's Pop Up Mods - Page 11 Empty Re: Richard's Pop Up Mods

Post  Richard Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:33 pm

My wife told me tonight that I should think about returning the parts I've got on order, and consider buying this camper instead. http://tricities.craigslist.org/rvs/2237141218.html

Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Hey Richard, we are right down the road if you need any help!

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Cool camper!! But 500 bucks is less than 3000
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am

abivens wrote:Cool camper!! But 500 bucks is less than 3000
Yes it is, but it could be considered a $ 2500 upgrade for Richard. Smile
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 am

Wow!! If Lisa suggested it, did she find it, too?

If that's the case, she may have a point, Richard. Setup on a small camper is so much easier than a popup. Then again, it's not like sleeping under canvas, either.

Whatever, you will still enjoy it and the kids will, too!

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Lisa did find it. She says she still isn't going to camp with me in it, but that it sure looked like it wouldn't require the maintenance that Miss Danger does. (I'm betting she has other projects she'd like me to tackle instead of working on the camper all the time. 16 ft is pretty small for all the Clarks. I'd be constantly setting up the beds, and taking down the beds. If it was a HTT I'd be on it. That way we could sleep under canvas, have an easier setup/takedown, and actually have four more feet of floor space than we have now. If it's still for sale when I get back in town next week, I'll likely go have a look at it. I'm still leaning heavily toward fixing Miss Danger instead, because Alan has it right... $500 is a lot less than $3000.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Richard wrote:My wife told me tonight that I should think about returning the parts I've got on order, and consider buying this camper instead. http://tricities.craigslist.org/rvs/2237141218.html

Richard, me being a mom I understand were Lisa is coming from. Look it is fun and great to camp, but safety first, after your last episode. Just think about the below:

A new air conditioner, tires, and stove. It sleeps 6, has a bathroom, shower, and closet space, also has new curtains and pillows
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:54 pm

And it's clearly old style. I could do mods on it. I'd have walls! If it's still for sale next week, it may be an omen.

I wonder if I could convert a window to a HTT Bunk, naaaaa. Better not start mods unless I buy it.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 am

Richard.. its none of my business.. but since its on a public forum.. I will share (LOL). I think.. becuase of the great joy and fun you and your kids get from camping.. you deserve a "step up." Its clear to everyone.. you and the kids get so much from camping.. While the kids still wanna go.. still look forward to every trip.. and still wanna spend a weekend with their Dad.. make the most of it. There will come a time in their lives when it wont be cool to spend quality time with you.. boyfriends, girlfriends and other things will take your place. They will come back.. eventually.. but believe me.. this time.. right now.. is the most precious.

Anyway.. if it were me.. I would buy a new (or at least new2you) camper. something safer and more dependable. So when you set up.. you are secure. You are always warm, cool, dry.. enclosed. However.. I think the one that your wife found would not be what you want. You wouldn't be happy with the space inside. You mentioned taking down and putting up beds all the time.. that would get real old, real fast.

But still.. be on the lookout for the HTT that you really want.. put a couple more thousand with that 3 grand and get what you really want. They are out there.. I know they are. I know you like doing mods.. but you can do them to a new camper. Spend your time and money having fun with the kids and doing "Modifications".. not "Repairifications."

my 2 cents.. friend.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:26 am

OK, since Chuck did it, I'll throw my $.02 in here, too. If Lisa is OK for you to purchase a new-to-you camper, and you have always wanted a hybrid, and it doesn't look like Dave and Darlene are going to give theirs up for several more years, go out and find yourself a new-to-you hybrid. I did a quick search on craigslist for the tri-cities and came up with one in Greeneville. Now, it's several thou above the $3000 for the other one, but, it seems to be a pretty good deal and he does state OBO. Your OBO may be $5200 or whatever. Never hurts to ask.

Here you go:

2003 Sportsman Hybrid -

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10 pm

merrykalia wrote:OK, since Chuck did it, I'll throw my $.02 in here, too. If Lisa is OK for you to purchase a new-to-you camper, and you have always wanted a hybrid, and it doesn't look like Dave and Darlene are going to give theirs up for several more years, go out and find yourself a new-to-you hybrid. I did a quick search on craigslist for the tri-cities and came up with one in Greeneville. Now, it's several thou above the $3000 for the other one, but, it seems to be a pretty good deal and he does state OBO. Your OBO may be $5200 or whatever. Never hurts to ask.

Here you go:

2003 Sportsman Hybrid -
That is a nice looking hybird. It would be just about the same size as my 5'er when popped out. Shocked
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Now THIS is a hybrid!! Bunkhouse with 4 beds for the kids in the back, a queen fold out in the front for dad, then a couch and a dinette that can also be used as beds if needed. Full bathroom with shower/tub. It also has the OBO!

In Bedford, VA

Or this one:

Knoxville 24' w slideout

Or even this one:

22 ft TT Knox 5000

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Chuck, Boyfriends, Girlfriends, say it aint so! But you are right. Mods and repairs are different things. I'll have to check some of these leads out when I get back to Tennessee. (I'm in Iowa and Nebraska on this trip)

I'll have to pay cash, since my tolerance for debt has vanished, but I'm a bit ahead right now. I'm gonna have to fix Miss Danger anyway, as I wouldn't want anyone else to use her in her current condition. Until she's up and fully braced, she's not safe at all.

I'd definately camp more if I had something easier to set up. More quick one of two nighters. The 16 foot one that my wife found would be a lot smaller than the PUP, and the PUP get's crowded. Converting the table and such to beds would be almost as annoying as the PUP setup.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Richard wrote:Chuck, Boyfriends, Girlfriends, say it aint so! But you are right. Mods and repairs are different things. I'll have to check some of these leads out when I get back to Tennessee. (I'm in Iowa and Nebraska on this trip)

I'll have to pay cash, since my tolerance for debt has vanished, but I'm a bit ahead right now. I'm gonna have to fix Miss Danger anyway, as I wouldn't want anyone else to use her in her current condition. Until she's up and fully braced, she's not safe at all.

I'd definately camp more if I had something easier to set up. More quick one of two nighters. The 16 foot one that my wife found would be a lot smaller than the PUP, and the PUP get's crowded. Converting the table and such to beds would be almost as annoying as the PUP setup.
I haven't said a thing lately about you upgrading No
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Still waiting on my lift system parts. The popupparts.com website shows that my order was shipped today via UPS Ground! I'm only home for a couple of days this week. but they should certainly be here for me to install them when I get back in town week after next. Maybe the weather will cooperate then. I'd love to go up and down without a hassle (and without a fear factor). That would be a new experience.

Heck, I might even fall in love with Miss Danger again and forget this business of looking at travel trailers. I'd like to take her out on a local camping run before the trip to Smokey Bear.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Richard's Pop Up Mods - Page 11 Empty Question for Dave

Post  Richard Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Question for Dave, since he knows my lift system all too well. Dave, when you lowered your roof, were you always careful to leave a little tension on the system to keep the cables from coming off the pulleys? I was reading in a Yahoo Groups board for viking PUP owners that this should be done. They all had manual winches. Since you had an electric winch, I wondered if you did this? If so, how did you determine how to put "a little" tension on the cables.

I've been lowering my roof till it stops going down, and not worrying about keeping any tension on the system. The way the pulleys are made, I don't see how the cable could come off, but I suppose it's possible that a cable could force it's way between the disc and the guard.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Richard wrote:Question for Dave, since he knows my lift system all too well. Dave, when you lowered your roof, were you always careful to leave a little tension on the system to keep the cables from coming off the pulleys? I was reading in a Yahoo Groups board for viking PUP owners that this should be done. They all had manual winches. Since you had an electric winch, I wondered if you did this? If so, how did you determine how to put "a little" tension on the cables.

I've been lowering my roof till it stops going down, and not worrying about keeping any tension on the system. The way the pulleys are made, I don't see how the cable could come off, but I suppose it's possible that a cable could force it's way between the disc and the guard.

Yes! I would always put some tension back on the cables after the roof was down...

Once we lowered the roof and set the clamps, I would just jog the winch switch a few times until I could here a SLIGHT difference in the motor. Just enough to tighten the cables a little. I had heard that was what was needed to be done also. While I was rebuilding the lift system, I also noticed that in certain spots, like at the wheel wells, the cable would look like it wanted to slip between the guard and pulley, after that (and actually seeing it happen) I always put some tension on the cables. Having the cables all evenly raise the roof will help with this process so one cable does not have any more tension than another.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:24 am

That makes sense. Thanks Dave.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

Well, I got some of my parts. Popupparts.com says the parts were "shipped direct from the supplier" and that they will contact them to get the lift arms shipped. I wonder how many weeks that will take. I was really hoping to get all this put together while I'm home next week, so I can be ready for the Smokey Bear trip. I'll get it working somehow. If the parts don't get here, "somehow" may be my tent! I sure would rather use the camper.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:02 am

Richard wrote:Well, I got some of my parts. Popupparts.com says the parts were "shipped direct from the supplier" and that they will contact them to get the lift arms shipped. I wonder how many weeks that will take. I was really hoping to get all this put together while I'm home next week, so I can be ready for the Smokey Bear trip. I'll get it working somehow. If the parts don't get here, "somehow" may be my tent! I sure would rather use the camper.
Well I hope that you get your parts soon, and get a chance to work on "Miss Danger". If, for some reason you don't get her fixed in time for the Smokey Bear trip your always welcome to stay with me again.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:20 pm

There you go Richard. Tim to the rescue again.
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 am

Tim the RV man will be at my house any time now if you wanted to stop by im on Zirkle rd off old ranken rd or 25/70
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Crawford wrote:Tim the RV man will be at my house any time now if you wanted to stop by im on Zirkle rd off old ranken rd or 25/70
Sorry didn't get this until it was to late. Sad
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks Tim, Surely they'll send them before then. I'd love to get them tomorrow so I can work on it over the weekend, but I can't make them get here any sooner than they get here.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 am

Richard, you are welcome to bring the clan anytime. I enjoyed having you at our last camp out. Just hope the parts come and you have the time to do the repairs before then. Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next