Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your ideal campground...

+5
craigw
merrykalia
Darcamper
Richard
chuck
9 posters

Go down

Your ideal campground... Empty Your ideal campground...

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Everyone has their own ideas of what makes a campground perfect for them. Everyone has their own list of what amenities they like to have in a campground. What is your ideal campground?

For me, I like space between me and my neighbors. I like there to be plenty of space around the campfire for friends to join us. I like trees. I like cable and wifi. I like a nice pool for the kids and a nice playground. I like the campground, bathhouse, pool and playground to be clean, safe and well maintained. I really like to be situated on the banks of a rushing creek/river. I like it be peaceful and quiet. I dislike campgrounds that are similar to big parking lots.

For us, it looks alot like this...

which doesnt show up : ) Have to figure it out.
Here is the link though...

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2955186680089547720EgqBry

Last edited by happycamper on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : picture wont show up correctly)

Back to top Go down

Your ideal campground... Empty Re: Your ideal campground...

Post  chuck Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:50 pm

My likes are similar to happycamper.. I too like space between me and my neighbors,.. I like trees and grass.. that woodsy feel that I am always talking about.

I like WI-FI.. but I can live without it for a few days.. Since being able to pick up digital TV signals now,.. I am not as concerned about cable TV service. So far I have always been able to get at least two or three channels. I like to have the TV on late at night.. and when I first get up.. with a little news or something.

Hate the parking lot campgrounds.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Camping in a Wal Mart parking lot, now that's a little slice of paridise. No utilities, no hookups, nothing, and only stay a few hours. Don't "set up" just take a nap and be on your way. You can stay long enough to buy Gas and go in the store to shop. What could be better than that. Why nothing. Well, it could be blistering hot of freezing cold, and in a bad neighborhood. Now that's adventure!

Or, I could go with what Chuck and Brenda said.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 pm

I am really not the TV person, but Dave is, so night movies for sure. I like the woodsy feel and not the parking lot. I like to have room. other then that I am ok.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:04 pm

I can do without cable and wifi for awhile. I dont normally watch tv at all when camping. However, the kids appreciate cable and wifi. Happy kids = happy mom Smile

Back to top Go down

Your ideal campground... Empty RE: Your ideal campground

Post  merrykalia Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:14 am

I like trees (shade), more than a few feet from my neighbor, love having wifi but it's not a necessity, need water of some type (pool, lake, ocean, etc.) playground for the kids, really like having paved roads so the kids can ride bikes, scooters, etc., water, electricity and either sewer hookup OR a nice, clean bathhouse. Either good antenna reception on TV or cable or a good satellite signal.

If it has a good view and a fire ring, that makes it even better.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 pm

For me a campground that has not taken into considering what it takes to pull, back and maneuver our Rigs is a deal breaker for me. It doesn't matter how wonderful of a place it is but if you wear yourself out to get your camper in its spot then it's not a place I would want to return to . But thats me. It seems to me that when an owner of a campground was at one time or currently a camper it tends to show. I have thought of being an owner of a campground myself but it is a big long term commitment and the smallest thing can be financially a nightmare. I may do it one day but who knows.

Smile
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:12 pm

My new ideal campsite is one in the park Craig imagines building someday. I trust his judgment on this.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:59 pm

craigw wrote:For me a campground that has not taken into considering what it takes to pull, back and maneuver our Rigs is a deal breaker for me. It doesn't matter how wonderful of a place it is but if you wear yourself out to get your camper in its spot then it's not a place I would want to return to . But thats me. It seems to me that when an owner of a campground was at one time or currently a camper it tends to show. I have thought of being an owner of a campground myself but it is a big long term commitment and the smallest thing can be financially a nightmare. I may do it one day but who knows.

Smile

We have also put some thought into what it would take to own a campground and to set one up the way we would expect it to be if we were camping there, but it would definitely cut out our own camping experiences for several years (if we could even afford to do it).
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:05 pm

So very true...it would definatly cut into the camping time for ones self. As i've played with numbers I would say it would be shocking to most as to the cost involved. The ideal is to find one that is in trouble and or needs help and you can pick it up at a good deal with some work on the property itself.

KralCamper wrote:
craigw wrote:For me a campground that has not taken into considering what it takes to pull, back and maneuver our Rigs is a deal breaker for me. It doesn't matter how wonderful of a place it is but if you wear yourself out to get your camper in its spot then it's not a place I would want to return to . But thats me. It seems to me that when an owner of a campground was at one time or currently a camper it tends to show. I have thought of being an owner of a campground myself but it is a big long term commitment and the smallest thing can be financially a nightmare. I may do it one day but who knows.

Smile

We have also put some thought into what it would take to own a campground and to set one up the way we would expect it to be if we were camping there, but it would definitely cut out our own camping experiences for several years (if we could even afford to do it).
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:12 pm

craigw wrote:So very true...it would definatly cut into the camping time for ones self. As i've played with numbers I would say it would be shocking to most as to the cost involved. The ideal is to find one that is in trouble and or needs help and you can pick it up at a good deal with some work on the property itself.

KralCamper wrote:

Smile

At one point I was thinking of finding a few acres to buy up in the mountains someplace, and set it up as a permanent campground. I couldn't leave much there for fear of vandalism (a drive in the mountains on the backroads show too many broken windows and other trouble to the cabins that are somewhat secluded.). Still, I could have electric with the power box locked up tight. It would be great, but fo the fact that I'm a social camper. I suspect we'd get to feeling dull up there by ourselves.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm

craigw wrote:So very true...it would definatly cut into the camping time for ones self. As i've played with numbers I would say it would be shocking to most as to the cost involved. The ideal is to find one that is in trouble and or needs help and you can pick it up at a good deal with some work on the property itself.

Agreed, Doing the work involved would be the easy part.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:39 am

I have also had the same thought of wanting to own a campground. If I had the finances I guess now would be the time to buy, while the real estate market is down. I just remember seeing one for sale in Gatlingburg, when we camped at Smoky Bear.

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:40 am

Diane and I have thought it would be cool to own a CG with 1 or 2 other owners. If that were the case you could take turns being on the premises running the CG. If there were three owners then you could each schedule a 4 month block to take responsibility. Of course then you have to split earnings three ways as well. Maybe a good retirement project..
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:39 am

I think the CG business requires much more than any of us could imagine.. That is probably true of anything we look at from the outside. It's always different when you have it, own it.. run it.. or whatever.

I am sure there are many successful CGs.. and many more that struggle. A whole bunch of factors go into making sure it turns a profit.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:43 am

chuck wrote:I think the CG business requires much more than any of us could imagine.. That is probably true of anything we look at from the outside. It's always different when you have it, own it.. run it.. or whatever.

I am sure there are many successful CGs.. and many more that struggle. A whole bunch of factors go into making sure it turns a profit.

Also, with all that many of us might not realize it possibly could take the fun out of camping.
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Your ideal campground... Empty a nice campground is

Post  Crawford Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 pm

A place to meet nice people space between campers,some shade trees,Hot tubs,place you can ride you bikes,cable would be nice and water,power,sewer,WiFi to keep up with family. Crawford
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:59 am

Crawford wrote:A place to meet nice people space between campers,some shade trees,Hot tubs,place you can ride you bikes,cable would be nice and water,power,sewer,WiFi to keep up with family. Crawford

Hot tub... I wish more campgrounds had them. In fact, I sure wish I had one!

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:49 pm

happycamper wrote:
Crawford wrote:A place to meet nice people space between campers,some shade trees,Hot tubs,place you can ride you bikes,cable would be nice and water,power,sewer,WiFi to keep up with family. Crawford

Hot tub... I wish more campgrounds had them. In fact, I sure wish I had one!

Hmmmm, now that would be an interesting mod on a pop up...
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:06 pm

No more mods Richard

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:No more mods Richard

Don't worry Tim, the closest I'll get is the bottom of the little shower. If I get that far.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:18 pm

You've got to get the hot water working before anything else.

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 pm

I'm doubting it's going to be enough hot water, but the price was right.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:19 pm

I have been looking at some new campgrounds and I was wondering if before it became a CG, if there were trees before. It appears that the land was cleared so I would think there was trees before. Just don't get them not keeping the larger trees Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:14 pm

Darcamper wrote:I have been looking at some new campgrounds and I was wondering if before it became a CG, if there were trees before. It appears that the land was cleared so I would think there was trees before. Just don't get them not keeping the larger trees Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
I would say that there was trees before the CG was built. I am guessing that alot of trees had to be removed to fit the layout of the CG. It is much easier to clear the land and then layout your spots. You can then plant trees in the spots that you want. Just my 2 cents.

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down