Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small check list....

4 posters

Go down

Small check list.... Empty Small check list....

Post  fisherpal2k Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:39 am

I have seen where some of us aren't getting to camp as much as we would like, and its getting that time of year again.
Thought I would drop a few reminders out there and post more as you think of them.

Closing up for the winter is a small task that is a neccesity. Just remember when you do that closing the door isn't all there is to it.

1. Drain the water systems completely. Some use air to blow out the lines and some use the anti freeze. (Just remember when you do it to use the pink kind and not the regular kind for a car.) Open all the taps and let the water drain out thru the drip legs or out the drains one. Don't forget to empty the shower heads inside and out. Put some of the anti freeze in the drains and in the toilet bowl to keep the seals from drying out.

2. If you have a camper that has canvas on it, be sure to clean the canvas good and let it dry completly. Then use some type of treatment on the canvas part to keep it plyable. Dry completely before storing it.

3. Clean the awning and treat it as well. Dry completely before storing it. During the winter water will still get inside the awning even if its rolled tightly. Make sure you get a good coverage on it before storing.

4. Charge the battery or batteries before storage. Make sure they are fully charged and topped off. If it is really bad where you live you may want to consider storing them in the basement or garage. If you do remove them from the camper put them on a board or something solid and flat. NEVER store a battery on concrete as it will somehow magically drain the battery and render it useless. ( Yes this has happened to me) Batteries are to darn expensive to just replace every year.

5. Use a silicone based spray and put on a towel or cloth and wipe down the seals around the doors and hatches. Lubricate the hinges also. This will keep the weather stripping from dry rotting and also keep them plyable.

6. Do a thorough cleaning of the camper. Be sure to remove all food products and any liquids that may freeze. We always try to mop the floors and wipe everything down so it is ready to go the next time we use it. There are many usefull ways of keeping out the pests during winter but I won't go into that. Always do a short check before closing the camper up to look for any new holes or places that rodents can get in at. Fill the holes with caulk or spray foam to keep the critters out. We put out a few dryer sheets inside to keep it smelling fresh also.

7. Clean the furniture and the cabinets good. Use some type of furniture polish on the cabinets and wood work to keep it from drying out too bad. You would be amazed at the build up of smoke and dust that occurs over the summer.

8. This is also a great time to change or remove the batteries from the smoke detector and carbon mon. monitor. Just leave a piece of tape over the cover to remind you to fill them again in the Spring! Check your fire extenguisher and make sure it has not leaked down.

9. If you have a refrigerator. Be sure to clean it good and leave the doors open to keep it from mildew and sweating.

10. Make sure the gas is off and check the tanks before leaving them. If mine are low or empty I try to get them filled during the fall when the gas guys have sales to promote their company for winter fillings. Make sure all the appliances are off and clean.

11. We always take the linens out of the camper and wash them up and store them in the house in the winter. Make sure you don't leave any small wash clothes or towels in there that are wet.

12. Check and do maintenance on the tires before storing. Fill them to proper capacity and either cover them or use some type of treatment on them to help fight dry rot.

13. Do a good check on the hitch. Make sure the bolts are all tight and that you clean the hitch out good. Install clean grease in the ball socket for storage. This is over looked by many. The sockets corrode up and have a lot of rust in them. This will wear the ball out and damage the surface of it.

14. Lubricate the hitch chains with a light spray of wd-40 or some type of water displacing oil.

15. Cover the electrical plug and keep it clean. I usually tie wrap a bag or something around ours to keep it dry. If it gets a lot of moisture in it the contacts will corrode and cause problems next trip.

16. Wash the camper down and it will stay clean a lot easier during the winter. Make sure the seals on the slides are treated and lubricate the jacks so they will not rust up.
So there is a small list of things to do during these nice pretty days that will help us out on into next year when the sudden urge hits us to go again!
Feel free to add to or change anything on here. Its just some of the stuff I try to get done before closing up completely.

fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Small check list.... Empty Re: Small check list....

Post  coolbreeze1 Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks for the advise. I thought you said a small list? Shocked
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Great checklist. I've been especially neglegent on the electrical connectors. But no more. Now that Miss Danger has had a bath, there's no telling what other maintenance I might do.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthWestyKim Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:37 pm

I really really appreciate this check list, as its my first winter with our rv. Thankyou

Kim Cool
SouthWestyKim
SouthWestyKim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down