Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

roof leaking

3 posters

Go down

roof leaking  Empty roof leaking

Post  jb_simerly Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 pm

I was cleaning out my camper today and found a soft spot in the roof and the wall paper was starting to bubble a little I tried to upload some pics but faint figure out how any way on.the top there is a thick grey putty like stuff that is starting to peel off where the rubber roof meets the fiber glass and then there was also a spot you can see the fiberglass edge because the calking has completely fell off all this is in the same area where the leak is any suggestions if I can get to a real comp in the next day or two I will try and upload some pics faint figure out how to do nothing on my phone lol
jb_simerly
jb_simerly

Back to top Go down

roof leaking  Empty Re: roof leaking

Post  merrykalia Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 am

YEp - seems you need to do some real caulking around there.

You probably need to get some Eternabond caulk. Remove the old, check for holes, bad spots, etc. Fill with the Eternabond, then put lots and lots on there and let it cure before it gets wet again. (In other words, do it today, so it won't be getting wet tomorrow.)

You should be good to go unless you find some holes, etc.

That dark gray, dirty goopy stuff is old caulking that has failed and needs to be replaced ASAP. It will only deteriorate more and cause more problems INSIDE.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

roof leaking  Empty re:

Post  jb_simerly Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 am

will that work for the sides to cause it looks like all the old grey caulk around the edges are starting to fail
jb_simerly
jb_simerly

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:26 pm

I think so, jb. I am passing along information that I have absorbed through reading on rv.net. We seem to trade before we ever have a problem with having to re-caulk!!! cheers According to most of the posters, Eternabond is da'bomb cherry Our new (to us) 5'er was re-caulked this year by the previous owner, so we will probably have another 5 years before having to re-caulk. sunny

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

roof leaking  Empty re:

Post  jb_simerly Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:50 pm

ok thanks
jb_simerly
jb_simerly

Back to top Go down

Post  Helmsey Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:50 am

Is it the seam that the roof material is pulling back? If so, the eternabond tape might work well to do the entire length of the TT. I used the tape to cover the seam where my front cap meets the roof. I just cleaned as described in the instructions and applied directly over the existing dicor sealant (that is probably the grey caulk looking stuff you see peeling). It has worked well for us, I know the eternabond tape has a stellar reputation for sealing/preventing leaks so I feel good about using it. I think you can get a 4" x 50' roll of the tape for about $70.

Helmsey

Back to top Go down

Post  jb_simerly Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:04 pm

I called eternabond today and they told me that something called mule Hyde was there off brand name they made faint find nothing on the internet about it any one ever heard this I called ABC supply and they had a 50 foot 4 inch of this or 25 6inch both for 53 dollars seems like this is a cheaper alternative. Any thoughts?
jb_simerly
jb_simerly

Back to top Go down

roof leaking  Empty re:

Post  jb_simerly Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Well I got the stuff to fix roof today and got IP started cleaning the area to be fixed and I think someone has put silicone on it. It is coming off with just my fingers and it.looks kinda clear and streatchy. I am thinking.o am going to have to take all that off just wandering if any one else has had to take off silicone and has figured out a easier way I was just.pulling a finger fill at a time off
jb_simerly
jb_simerly

Back to top Go down

Post  Helmsey Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm

jb_simerly wrote:Well I got the stuff to fix roof today and got IP started cleaning the area to be fixed and I think someone has put silicone on it. It is coming off with just my fingers and it.looks kinda clear and streatchy. I am thinking.o am going to have to take all that off just wandering if any one else has had to take off silicone and has figured out a easier way I was just.pulling a finger fill at a time off

If it is silicone you will need to take it all off before you do anything to it. Nothing will stick to it so you will not get a very reliable seal. I personally have not dealt with it so I can't help with the removal technique Smile

Helmsey

Back to top Go down

roof leaking  Empty re:

Post  jb_simerly Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Well started fixing about 9 this morning and at 5:30 I have a leak proof roof (I hope) one heck of a sun burn and a blister on my thumb and finger from picking silicone. Only took about 30 minutes to patch the roof the rest of the time I was picking and scraping the silicone off. Lol
jb_simerly
jb_simerly

Back to top Go down

Post  Helmsey Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 pm

At least you got it knocked out and won't have to worry with it anymore.
No go rest that thumb and finger Very Happy

Helmsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down