Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its that time of year again!

5 posters

Go down

Its that time of year again! Empty Its that time of year again!

Post  fisherpal2k Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 pm

I know everyone is in a hurry to go camping and getting ready for a good trip. But after making the first trip and getting our feelings under control lets don't forget to
check a few things out.

Batterys:
Make sure and check the water level in your battery before you try to charge it too much. If the level is low be sure to add distilled water to them and top them off. Then use a regular battery charger to get a full charge on them and don't depend on the camper charging system as they only maintian and charge to around 85% level.

Roofs:
Check your camper top regularly and if you can,wash it and give it a good UV treatment. If it is a rubber roof as most are now, be sure to check the seams and around the edges and all the joints at the pipes and other fixtures protruding thru the roof. Use self leveling caulk to cover these if neccesary. Leaks can damage the interior walls before you can find them and it is costly to repair.

Tires:
Be sure to check your tires and make sure they are road worhty. No cracks or dry rotting. Make sure the air pressure is up to the manf. specs and keep them covered during storage if possible. Also check the spare!

Wheel Bearings:
Every year the wheel bearings need to be checked and lubed. Most pop-ups and some travel trailers have the lube hubs on them. Jack the camper up and rotate the tires to check the bearings. Grasp the top of the wheel and the bottom of the wheel and try to shake them. If there is movement from side to side, or top to bottom, adjust the tightness of the axle nut to keep the bearings smooth and operational. Repack the bearings as needed.

Lights:
Always before each trip hook up the camper lights and check them before traveling anywhere. Replace any bad bulbs and check to make sure the turn signals as well as the marker lights works.

Brakes:
If your camper has brakes on it, you need to have them checked annually. Most are electric with some being hydraulic. If hydraulic make sure the fluid level is good and check it often. Check the brake shoes and hook the camper up and check to make sure the brakes work properly before a trip.

Awnings:
Awnings need to be washed and treatment applied to keep them from molding and mildew build up. Check the edges for rips or tears and mend as needed. Be sure to check the awning posts to make sure they work properly and lube the moveable parts as needed.

Tongue Jacks:
Whether you have an electric jack or a manual jack, read the paper work on them and lube them accordingly. It will make for a better time camping without having to worry about a sprained back or pulled muscle. Check the wiring on elec jacks and make sure there are no nicks or cuts in the wiring.

Canvas:
Pop-ups and Hybrids both rely on canvas to protect us from the elements. When you wake up in a soaking wet bed it is absolutely no fun! Wash the canvas and let it dry. Then use either Scotch Guard or a good silicone treatment to water proof them and keep them healthy.

Slides or pull outs:
Inspect the rails and drive screws and lube as needed. On pop-ups where the beds slide out, make sure to lubricate the rails with small amounts of oil to aid in better sliding.

Doors:
All campers have a door of some type on it and its nice if it works correctly. Use a light oil such as 3 in one oil or some type of light machine oil to lube the hinges on the entrance and the cabinet doors. The exterior access doors need oil on the hinges also. Just use caution and don't over lube them as this becomes a great dust catcher. Also check the gaskets around the door and if its not sealing replace the gasket.

Fresh water tanks:
Be sure to sanitize your fresh water tank before using! Add water to the tank and add 1/4 cup of bleach to it. completly fill the tank and let it sit for a couple of hours or a day and then drain. Flush the tank with fresh water and drain. Its ready to go!Just fill and enjoy!

Grey water and Black water tanks:
Always completly empty the tanks after each use and add some type of deoderizer to the tank. Make sure you add some water back to the tank to keep it from smelling. Use caution as to what type of additive you use! Make sure to use the formaldihydefree type as this can cause some to have severe headaches. Be sure to add some water back to the sinks and drains to fill the sink traps to keep the smell in the tank and not in the camper before storage.

I guess thats enough for now... lol Everyone please have a safe and happy camping season!!!!
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Its that time of year again! Empty Re: Its that time of year again!

Post  abivens Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks for your post, I know that took some time. I have a few things to do to get completely ready. This is one of the good things about being in a camping club!!
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Great list, except for the part abut washing stuff. I like to think the dirt is part of my PUPs charm.

I did silicone seal the canvas after sewing the broken stitches (took 4 needles as I kept breaking them). I figured I was wasting time checking my tires, as they are still pretty new. Good thing I didi it anyway. The spare was flat, and the two on the ground were at 28-29 lbs instead of the 50 lbs that is called for. I also had too much heavy stuff toward the back and had sway issues on the way out. I packed the heavier stuff forward and that pretty well corrected the problem.

I've not used the freshwater tank, and was thinking of taking it out to add storage space.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:47 pm

That just made me tried from reading all that should be done. Thanks fisherpal No

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Very informative post! Thanks!
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down