Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Propane Tank Weight

4 posters

Go down

Propane Tank Weight Empty Propane Tank Weight

Post  chuck Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 am

Instead of making a trip to the propane dealer.. and hoping they only charge me for the actual amount of propane I get.. I decided to weigh my tanks at home. I found this useful information.. maybe someone else can use it too.

How much should the tank weigh?
38 lbs. for a full 20 lb. size propane tank, 18 lbs. if empty.
54 lbs. for a full 30 lb. size propane tank, 24 lbs. if empty.
70 lbs. for a full 40 lb. size propane tank, 29 lbs. if empty.

What size is my propane tank?
18 inches high and 12.5 inches diameter for a 20 lb. propane tank
24 inches high and 12.5 inches diameter for a 30 lb. propane tank
29 inches high and 12.5 inches in diameter for a 40 lb. propane tank
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Propane Tank Weight Empty Re: Propane Tank Weight

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:07 am

Chuck where did you find this info at? When I took one of my tanks to be refilled they weighed it before filling it. The guy that filled it, had a chart to tell him how much propane the tank would hold.

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:Chuck where did you find this info at? When I took one of my tanks to be refilled they weighed it before filling it. The guy that filled it, had a chart to tell him how much propane the tank would hold.

I googled "propane tank weight" and found this somewhere.. not sure exactly where. Keep in mind it isn't an exact science.. and ordinary bathroom scales may not be exact. But.. I weighed my tanks today.. one weighed 44lbs.. and the other weighed 45lbs. So at least I know I am in no danger of running out. (I have 2 - 30lbs tanks)

I filled them both last year when I first got the camper.. and mostly just used propane for the hot water heater. However.. I have switched back and forth and wasn't sure which one I had used moire. Now I will use one until it runs out.. switch over to the other and re-fill the empty as soon as I can.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:44 pm

chuck wrote:
coolbreeze1 wrote:Chuck where did you find this info at? When I took one of my tanks to be refilled they weighed it before filling it. The guy that filled it, had a chart to tell him how much propane the tank would hold.

I googled "propane tank weight" and found this somewhere.. not sure exactly where. Keep in mind it isn't an exact science.. and ordinary bathroom scales may not be exact. But.. I weighed my tanks today.. one weighed 44lbs.. and the other weighed 45lbs. So at least I know I am in no danger of running out. (I have 2 - 30lbs tanks)

I filled them both last year when I first got the camper.. and mostly just used propane for the hot water heater. However.. I have switched back and forth and wasn't sure which one I had used moire. Now I will use one until it runs out.. switch over to the other and re-fill the empty as soon as I can.
That's what I do, just use one until it runs out, then switch to the other one.

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  afob3 Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks Chuck for posting this. I couldn't remember if I have ever switched tanks & thought I should check since Saturday looks a little chilly. Googled 30lb propane tank weight or something like that and bam, I landed here. Very Happy By the trusty bathroom scale, one was 25 something pounds and the other 45. I never realized how the bathroom scale is so handy for RVing. Last time I used it was to check tounge weight.

Twenty Seven bucks later, I shouldn't run out of propane.

afob3

http://www.familyobrien.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:33 pm

That tank weight is really important in cold weather. When it gets down in the low 30's or less, the cold air can chill the tank enough to drop the pressure. The smaller the tank, the greater this effect is. Even though you have propane in the tank, if it is around 1/3 or less full, the pressure can drop enough that the furnace won't work. I have had this happen to the point that the stove would not stay lit. When it warmed up a bit the next day, the stove and furnace both worked fine. The lesson, have full or nearly full propane tanks when winter camping.

I thought my stuff was malfunctioning until I read an article on winter camping in Trailer Life last year.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down