Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Family Camping

+3
Richard
chuck
Darcamper
7 posters

Go down

Family Camping Empty Family Camping

Post  Darcamper Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:29 pm

We sometimes go camping just us, but we will camp this year with family members. Those that have camped with family, do you make sure there is something to do at the campground or park?
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Family Camping Empty Re: Family Camping

Post  chuck Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 pm

If it were me.. I would try and make sure I had something to do.. to get me away from the family members. Very Happy
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 am

Darcamper wrote:We sometimes go camping just us, but we will camp this year with family members. Those that have camped with family, do you make sure there is something to do at the campground or park?

Generally, yes. But not necessarily. I like Warriors Path for that very reason, but sometimes it's nice to go someplace new. Mine are young and pretty easy to entertain, so they can ride bikes, or scooters, or play games and be pretty happy. Even a pretty poor playground can entertain them.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm

I'm kinda like Richard....we look to see if there is something (for mine, it's a pool) for the kids to do, but if not, we take some things for the kids to do. We usually take bikes, trikes, scooters, strollers, wagons and anything else that moves. Sometimes we look like a circus has come to town. Only thing we need is an elephant or two.

For one of mine, a couple of dolls and a wagon is several hours worth of entertainment. For the oldest, a craft project will keep her busy for hours.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:55 pm

It goes to show that camping with family and friends is a good thing. The kids get out of the house and are encouraged to use their imagination while playing. They get the chance to meet new children and create new games with one another.

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:51 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:It goes to show that camping with family and friends is a good thing. The kids get out of the house and are encouraged to use their imagination while playing. They get the chance to meet new children and create new games with one another.

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I couldn't have said it better Coolbreeze Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:53 pm

I normally choose a campground that has atleast one thing to offer Meghan... a playground or a pool. For the older two, they appreciate wifi Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm

I may be wrong.. but I think Darlene might be asking more about adult family members.. maybe people who don't camp as much.. What kind of things would you have planned for them... or would just camping be enough?
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:37 pm

If some of my family came into town and I wanted to take them camping, I would definitely plan the trip around them and their likes and dislikes. In fact, I am trying to entice 3 of my sisters to come visit. Since 2 of them haven't been to the area, I would set up camp in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Townsend area. Hopefully a nice peaceful site on a rushing creek for one sister who likes to relax and read, plenty of restaurants to choose from, plenty of places to drive and sightsee (Cades Cove & Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail to name two) for my sister who has trouble with walking too far... wifi for the sister who can't stand to be away from her laptop for too long, etc. I definitely would not plop them down in the middle of nowhere and expect my sisters to be real happy. Atleast not for long Smile Hopefully they would have a good enough time that they would either want to come back once or year or decide to buy a camper of their own.

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 pm

chuck wrote:I may be wrong.. but I think Darlene might be asking more about adult family members.. maybe people who don't camp as much.. What kind of things would you have planned for them... or would just camping be enough?

Chuck is right, i have a sister that is coming with us this year, but never camped. If you had someone that has never camped and had no idea with to do, what tips would you give them for first timers?
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:35 pm

Darcamper wrote:
Chuck is right, i have a sister that is coming with us this year, but never camped. If you had someone that has never camped and had no idea with to do, what tips would you give them for first timers?

Bring clothing that is "camping clothing" (no high heels, no silky fabrics, no dry clean only) and limit what you bring. Pair of jeans, 2 t shirts, undies, pj's, maybe a robe for running to bath house, flip flops (bath house shower), shorts and a lightweight/medium weight jacket. Good comfy shoes to do lots of walking.

That's basically what I keep in the TT all year long, adding a long sleeve shirt and warm socks for early spring/late fall camping.

Bring a good book/magazine or handheld game, ipod or CD player for fav music.

Tell her to think of some good stories to share around the campfire (i.e. stories of some things YOU did when you were young and don't really want others to know about you!!!)

Make sure she knows that camping requires NO MAKEUP, a quick hairbrushing, washing of the face and other NEEDED parts, brushing of the teeth and she's ready to go.

Last edited by merrykalia on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added more)

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 am

I talked with my sister about camping last night and she was excited and could not wait for spring. She said some of her husbands family will be in tents. This should be fun.... Shocked
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:22 am

Darcamper wrote:I talked with my sister about camping last night and she was excited and could not wait for spring. She said some of her husbands family will be in tents.

when you lay down in that comfortable... air conditioned RV.. Remember the "tent people." (especially if its raining) Very Happy
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:49 pm

chuck wrote:
Darcamper wrote:I talked with my sister about camping last night and she was excited and could not wait for spring. She said some of her husbands family will be in tents.

when you lay down in that comfortable... air conditioned RV.. Remember the "tent people." (especially if its raining) Very Happy

Maybe What a Face
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fisherpal2k Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:10 am

We have camped with some of our family and some other friends as well. Sometimes we take cards and maybe a board game for the occasion that it is raining. I am sure you will find things to remember about when ya'll were younger and can tell tall tales on each other to the wee hours of the morning! Very Happy
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down