Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedding Question???

5 posters

Go down

Bedding Question??? Empty Bedding Question???

Post  Richard Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:11 pm

OK, this is for those of you with foam mattresses. Did you stick with what came with the camper, upgrade, add memory foam, use an air mattress, or what?

I've got a queen-size air mattress that I'm considering taking along. I could double up the foam on one end, or just leave it in the garage in lieu of the air mattress. I'd use the queen-size mattress on the king-size bunk end, which would leave a little room on each side for a lamp or anything else I wanted to have handy but not actually in the bed with me.

I can't really get thicker foam, because the top wouldn't go all the way down, plus I'd have to get a new mattress cover. PUP Camper beds aren't exactly the same size as regular home bedding. A deflated air mattress wouldn't cause the roof problem. I thought about using a one-inch memory foam topper, but that's kind of expensive for a king size, especially for occasional use in the popup camper. It still might cause a problem with the top not closing well. The refletix that I leave in the windows just adds to this problem.

PUPs are a pain when it comes to this kind of stuff. Everything has to fit in below the bunk level. Easy to tow, tough to fold and unfold. I'm still waiting for the Krals to decide to get the class a and go full-time. Then I can move up to the Hybrid with two tables!!! Dave may eve throw in the high -end coffee maker to close the deal!!! I figure if I'm gonna dream, dream big.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Bedding Question??? Empty Re: Bedding Question???

Post  ocb_dave_ocb Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey Richard I found a jayco kiwi hybrid on craigslist for $5,000 you might want to give it a look. When we were using the pop up we were going to remove both matterrsses and replace them both with air mattresses, however, as you know, we never got to that point because we sold it and moved up to a class a.

ocb_dave_ocb

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:09 am

Richard, Becky Lagow told me today that they were going to sell their hybrid. It is the same as the Kral's, except it doesn't have the second table. I know you wanted it, but if the price is good enough, you might want to consider it.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 am

It will be hard for me to believe that Richard will ever let go of that pup of his. It has a lot of memories. Smile
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 am

OK, back to YOUR question, before we started adding our own spin on things.....

We have a Tempurpedic at home and therefore, the TT beds were pretty uncomfortable. We did add a 3" memory foam topper to ours and it helps tremendously.

I know that with the pup, you have to be careful with what you have in there, but when we had ours, we were able to leave 2 eggcrate pads on top of each mattress when we put it down. (1 just wasn't enough). I left the under sheet on there - put a new clean one on when we arrived wherever.

I don't really have any recommendations, just that the memory foam is great. Sorry.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:13 pm

The problem is, I don't have $5000 right now, and won't have it anytime soon. I'm not going to finance anything. Sooooo, I'm stuck making Miss Danger a little better. I do really like Dave and Darlene's camper though.

My next big purchase will be another set of tires for my Suburban. These Firestone Wilderness tires only provide me with about 70,000 miles per set. I was never a fan of Firestone, but these tires and my truck seem to be a good combination.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthWestyKim Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:30 pm

What about just replacing your current foam with something of heavier density? When I had my popup I just took my foam mattress with its upolstery to a shop and they put in heavier foam. If you do go along with the air mattress route I hope you have better luck with them that I do..seems they always develope leaks at the seams and you wake up deflated....right now I have a 3" piece of heavy foam over my trailer bed cushions cause the stock cushions were flimsy and didnt hold up, only drawback to that is its a pain to roll up the foam and put the dinette back up so I leave the bed made and we use tv tables if we eat inside.
SouthWestyKim
SouthWestyKim

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Richard, I don't know if this would work, but here is a 6" memory foam mattress (surely you have 6" of clearance if you just replaced the mattress) from Walmart that is from $129 (twin) - $199 (King). Not sure which size your ends are, but they can be cut down. You just take off the cover, use an electric knife and make it whatever size you want.

Also, there is a company in JC that does memory foam. We got some for Jayda's twin beds - Butch built them a weird size and a regular twin wouldn't fit. I think 2 of them cost us about $80. 36" wide X 70" long or something like that.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks Donna, I'll look at them.

Lily and I camped in Camp driveway last night and I was pretty comfortable. I'm starting to think that maybe the mattress is fine, but my aging body is a little too stiff!
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down