Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Campground

5 posters

Go down

Favorite Campground Empty Favorite Campground

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Do you have a favorite campground? Is there a campground that stands out above all others for you? One campground you judge others against? If so, tell us about it.
(okay, it's cold and I have cabin fever and I want to camp.. so.. why not atleast talk about camping Very Happy )

Back to top Go down

Favorite Campground Empty Re: Favorite Campground

Post  abivens Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Diane and I love Vogel State Park in Ga. Probebly one of the most beautiful places in the south. It is at the foot of Blood Mt which has the Appalachian Trail across it. Absolutely georgeous. Check it out: http://www.gastateparks.org/Vogel
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 pm

What a nice place! I mapquested it and it came out a bit over 4 hours. It doesnt look too terribly far from Franklin, NC? Craig wants to camp near there.. Thanks for sharing a link. I would love to camp there.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:44 pm

We have a few favorites. Fort Wilderness at Disney is at the top of the list and I imagine it will remain that way. It's hard to beat Disney. For a nice relaxing weekend with Meghan, it would be Jellystone in Gatlinburg. We love how peaceful it is, the rushing creek and the abundance of great family activities. However, Elkmont has pushed it's way right up to the top as well. We also like Ocean Lakes in Myrtle alot. And, we really love James Island County Park in Charleston.

Worst campground we have been to was the Mayberry Campground. Uggh.. hated every moment of it.

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:54 pm

My favorite is BANDY CREEK.. at Big South Fork near Oneida..

here's some pics and info: http://www.hometownsitedesign.com/bandycreek.html
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm

chuck wrote:My favorite is BANDY CREEK.. at Big South Fork near Oneida..

That looks like a great place. I mapquested it and it is a bit over 3 hours. Definitely want to go there.

I think I would like to figure out a week or so itinerary to hit a couple of nice campgrounds down in that area.

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:23 pm

I hope this will be our first trip of 2010, hoping around March 31st to April 3rd.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:30 pm

Darcamper wrote:

I hope this will be our first trip of 2010, hoping around March 31st to April 3rd.

How long does it take you to get there? The girls have Spring Break from April 12 - April 16. That might be a good place to go. We are still trying to figure it out. David wont be able to go as his Spring Break time at ETSU is different than the girls.

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:33 pm

happycamper wrote:
Darcamper wrote:

How long does it take you to get there? The girls have Spring Break from April 12 - April 16. That might be a good place to go. We are still trying to figure it out. David wont be able to go as his Spring Break time at ETSU is different than the girls.

From Knoxville it is about 1 1/2 hours, right Chuck.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:38 pm

My favorite is good old Warrior's Path in Kingsport. Just so much for the kids there. I go even when I'm not camping.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Darlene.. I would say Bandy Creek is about that far from you. It's a little over an hour from me (Clinton, TN).
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Darcamper wrote:
happycamper wrote:
Darcamper wrote:

Thats not too bad. I just went to mapquest and plugged in Bristol to Knoxville and it said 1:53. The furthest down we have camped so far is Little River (now a KOA) and I love the Townsend area.

I think we are going to camp a little further this year. We definitely want to try and get to Fall Creek Falls and we would like to go to Chattanooga as well.

Last edited by happycamper on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because I can't spell : ))

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:05 pm

happycamper wrote:
Darcamper wrote:
happycamper wrote:
Darcamper wrote:

Thats not too bad. I just went to mapquest and plugged in Bristol to Knoxville and it said 1:53. The furthest down we have camped so far is Little River (now a KOA) and I love the Townsend area.

I think we are going to camp a little further this year. We definitely want to try and get to Fall Creek Falls and we would like to go to Chattanooga as well.

We really enjoyed Fall Creek Falls last year, we hope to go camp in Chattanooga this summer.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Reading these threads this time of year is like gonig to the Grocery Store when you are hungry. It all looks too good to resist.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Richard wrote:Reading these threads this time of year is like gonig to the Grocery Store when you are hungry. It all looks too good to resist.

Would have to agree with Richard Smile

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Richard wrote:Reading these threads this time of year is like gonig to the Grocery Store when you are hungry. It all looks too good to resist.

I agree. I am sitting here looking at the snow falling outside. Really wanting to camp and wishing I had lots of extra $$'s to make lots of reservations right now.

We have a heated underbelly on our camper. I just asked Craig how warm it has to be at night to go camping and he said anytime. He doesnt like to hang around inside the camper though. So, it needs to be warm enough to actually spend time outside of the camper a bit.

So, SOON we are going. Maybe to Warriors. I will let you know when we are going Richard...

Last edited by happycamper on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell today)

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:13 pm

happycamper wrote:

I agree. I am sitting here looking at the snow falling outside. Really wanting to camp and wishing I had lots of extra $$'s to make lots of reservations right now.

We have a heated underbelly on our camper. I just asked Craig how warm it has to be at night to go camping and he said anytime. He doesnt like to hang around inside the camper though. So, it needs to be warm enough to actually spend time outside of the camper a bit.

So, SOON we are going. Maybe to Warriors. I will let you know when we are going Richard...

Craig is right, if you are going to stay inside the camper, you might as well camp in the dirveway and save the money and hauling.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Richard wrote:
happycamper wrote:

Craig is right, if you are going to stay inside the camper, you might as well camp in the dirveway and save the money and hauling.

Unfortunately, we are unable to driveway camp. It is against the subdivision laws and our next door neighbor tends to be a "snitch" on things like that. We have to keep it in storage down on 321 heading towards South Holston lake.

I would love to move where we have more land and more freedom to do what we want. When Craig interviewed with King, they flew us out and set us up with a realtor for a day. The day flew by as she showed us home after home until they all ran together in our minds. She was very pro Bristol City schools. So, we ended up here. Atleast it is close to Craig's work. He goes to Meg's school and eats lunch with her every couple of weeks or so, so that makes it handy. I do, however, really really want to find some land.

Richard, they keep a loop open at Warriors all winter? What about water? I know that Roan is open. However, it is for self contained campers only. They have no water turned on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down