Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round Mountain in Newport

2 posters

Go down

Round Mountain in Newport Empty Round Mountain in Newport

Post  Richard Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:41 pm

Tim, this is in your neck of the woods. Have you ever been there? I want to take the kids to a less campgroundy campground. Would this be a good choice?

Round Mountain Campground
[Fig. 44(20)] Hikers and campers are attracted to this scenic site near the top of Round Mountain. In the summertime it is a naturally air-conditioned spot to pitch a tent or park a trailer. At 3,100 feet it is one of the highest campgrounds in the CNF. Altitude, dense vegetation of rhododendrons, and a small mountain stream lower temperatures.

Hikers come here because the Appalachian Trail (AT) is nearby. The Walnut Mountain Trail (#135) runs 2.07 miles along the AT between this campground and the Walnut Mountain shelter. The popular 7-mile AT hike between Lemon Gap and Max Patch is only 10 miles away. This scenic stretch of trail features spectacular high-elevation vistas and outstanding wildflower displays in spring and summer.

This is a remote campground accessed by a winding, narrow, two-lane gravel road. All camping is on a first-come first-served basis.

Directions: From Newport, travel south on TN 25/70 approximately 11 miles. Turn right onto TN 107, and follow camping symbols to the campground.
Activities: Camping. Hiking nearby.
Facilities: 12 campsites (some are trailer sites) and 2 picnic sites. Each campsite has a picnic table, fire ring, and lantern post. Campground features a hand-pumped water well and toilets.
Dates: Usually open from mid-Apr. to mid-Dec.
Fees: There is a charge for camping and day use.
Closest town: Newport, approximately 11 miles.
For more information: Nolichucky/Unaka Ranger District, 124 Austin Street, Suite 3, Greeneville, TN 37745. Phone (423) 638-4109.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Round Mountain in Newport Empty Re: Round Mountain in Newport

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Sorry Richard this maybe in my neck of the woods but I haven't a clue. To many bad things have happened in Cocke Co. That part of the county is know to be quite rowdy at times. Shocked
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Ha! and what part of the county doesn't have that reputation? None that I've heard about. We'll have to take a field trip one day and check it out.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Richard wrote:Ha! and what part of the county doesn't have that reputation? None that I've heard about. We'll have to take a field trip one day and check it out.
Well it is one part of Cocke County that I do not venture in at night.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down