Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible ultimate fix for my lift system

+2
merrykalia
Richard
6 posters

Go down

Possible ultimate fix for my lift system Empty Possible ultimate fix for my lift system

Post  Richard Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:29 pm

I got this e-mail this week. I'm seriously considering it.

To: classifieds4us@hotmail.com
Subject: Pop up camper hydraulic roof system
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 06:53:51 -0400

Last October you contacted us about a camper roof system, which was not available for you at that time. We have developed a hydraulic pump that will power 4 cylinders to move the roof EXACTLY at the same speed and distance to raise and lower the roof. We are now looking for a "victim" to install a prototype unit on a real camper. It looks like the cost will be between $800.00 and $950.00. We do not charge for installation or engineering time, only for the system. If you are located within driving distance, you could deliver your camper to us for "winter storage". We have just completed the 2nd Roof Jenie system on a Fleetwood camper for a family from Eastern Pennsylvania, and have installed the standard version on campers from Nebraska, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, and all of the surrounding states.

Grover Taylor
859-744-5544
Custom Cylinders International, Inc.
Winchester, KY 40391

Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Possible ultimate fix for my lift system Empty Re: Possible ultimate fix for my lift system

Post  merrykalia Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Wow and that's just a quick drive - just over 2 1/2 hours from us, so I guess about a 4 hour drive. There is also a really nice campground just this side of Winchester, about 15 minutes - Natural Bridge State Park in Slade.

You know, any system you get is going to cost you quite a bit, so decide if you want to keep that thing like it is and just hope you have somebody that can help you when it starts to fall or if you are gonna fix it.

I vote for a completely new camper, but.........I know, you like the CHALLENGE of it.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Possible ultimate fix for my lift system Empty Re: Possible ultimate fix for my lift system

Post  KralCamper Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:09 pm

I would say go for it! Sounds like it would be a good investment for the camper. The system should pay for itself in value, peace of mind, and safety. Especially to keep it in good working order should you decide to trade or sell it to "Upgrade"...eventually...

jm2c worth.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:54 pm

sounds good.. If u are gonna keep the POPUP for awhile. If u think there might be a TT in the near future.. (year - 18mos) the $$ might be better spent on the newer unit.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Sounds cool, a bit pricey though. I agree with Chuck, it depends on if you want to keep the camper. I have looked at several used pups and the resale is not great. I would hate to see you get too much in the rig than you can ever get out of it. I have fallen into that with my pup. If you plan on keeping it, then go for it. Who know Richard, if you have a working prototype and your winning sales personality, you may become a rep for this area!!
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Here is an ideal Richard. File a claim for your storm damage. Get the money for the repair, then do it yourself. Whatever is left over from that use it to pay for this improvement to your pup.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 am

Donna, I think you nailed it. I think I was impressed by the challenge of the thing. That price includes installation, but I'd have to leave it with them all winter. I camp in the winter. It took them a year to get back to me, so how long will it take them to install this. Plus, it's $900 or so for something they have never actually installed. I'd worry that perhaps it might be like some of my lift system repairs. Works good at home, then I drive an hour or two to the campsite and it somehow doesn't work as well after things bump around a bit. It would be cool, and I think hydrolics have got to be the ultimate way to lift a PUP roof.

Still, I'm already too deep into this PUP to ever get my money out of it. It's likely too customized to ever be able to sell it. (You gotta admit, I've done some odd stuff to it.) I really want a setup like Dave and Darlene's. It seems the perfect compromise to me. Room inside, fairly quick setup. Few moving parts. Stores in less space. Doesn't weigh much. As much as I hate to admit it, Chuck is right. I need to wait and buy the cmaper I want and stop investing in the PUP. I'll just keep it patched up until then.

The good news is that my business is picking up and I may be in a position to buy something next summer if the trend holds (Hope! Pray!). I've got work for the next four months, and good leads on projects after the first of the year. I need to put back a little bit of emergency money, but at least I will soon not be depleting my IRA for monthly expenses anymore.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:19 pm

Well, as I told you when you were here - Todd and Becky are talking about moving up to the TT, so they will have their hybrid for sale. I look for them to really start looking come spring time. She wants a new one, so...............

It will probably be in the $5000 range. It has the 2 beds like the Kral's, but it only has the U-shaped dinette, not the other dinette. The one is a queen, dinette is a King and the other is a regular. It should have plenty of room for the 4 of you, even if you bring an extra 1 or 2.

I'll keep you in mind and tell Todd and Becky to give me a heads up if they decide to sell.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Richard, if you do decide to buy a hybrid, let your wife do the dickering on the price. If she can sell her dishes and make a profit, well she might even get you a great deal on a hybrid. Shocked Shocked
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down