Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restoration in progress

+4
KralCamper
Richard
coolbreeze1
seymourbass77
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Restoration in progress Empty Restoration in progress

Post  seymourbass77 Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:04 am

As some of you have heard my wife and I are doing a restoration of a vintage 1964 Shasta Airflye we rescued from becoming a gutted out concession stand. In doing so we decided to keep a photo journal of before and after pictures of our progress. One thing I have learned is locating original spare parts can be harder than the work itself. Luckily The camper was still in good cond. and moderately taken care of by the previous owners. I have been convinced by a few other members that some of you may want to see our photos of our mods and personal touches we have done so far. A great thanks goes to Chuck for helping me learn how to post a link.

Click this photo to see all the pictures.
Restoration in progress 4851297544_9dd284ccd3_m

We will be posting more pics. as time and money allows us to do future planned modifications.

seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Restoration in progress Empty Re: Restoration in progress

Post  coolbreeze1 Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 am

Great looking camper, and real nice work you have done. I really like the new counter top an new sink, are you going to put in a gas stove like was in the original?
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 am

Wow! I'm impressed.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:25 am

coolbreeze1 wrote:Great looking camper, and real nice work you have done. I really like the new counter top an new sink, are you going to put in a gas stove like was in the original?
Tim, My wife does not like any gas appliances so that was our reason for removing it. We have several other portable means to cook with though besides any grills that will be avail. @ the campsite. Glad you like it!! Very Happy
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 am

Richard wrote:Wow! I'm impressed.
Thanks Richard, So glad you like it. Coming from you it means a great deal being you have been named the mod king. I am always open to suggestions too. Smile
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:50 am

Didn't know about not liking gas appliances. In SouthwestyKim's camper, she has an electric hot plate.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:22 pm

I'm thinking that with such a great upgrade in that camper, the S on the magazine rack should now stand for seymourbass77 instead of Shasta. That countertop and sink/faucet are amazing. I also like the small freezer space in the new fridge.

Looking at the new table, it looks like you made it so that it still fits in the dinette area to make a bed. Did you use the old legs on the new tabletop, or get new ones?
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Richard wrote:I'm thinking that with such a great upgrade in that camper, the S on the magazine rack should now stand for seymourbass77 instead of Shasta. That countertop and sink/faucet are amazing. I also like the small freezer space in the new fridge.

Looking at the new table, it looks like you made it so that it still fits in the dinette area to make a bed. Did you use the old legs on the new tabletop, or get new ones?
You hit the nail on the head, we have been telling everyone that's what the S stands for. I used the old table as my pattern for the new table and also so the original alum. banding could still be used to keep it partially original. The leg is from the old table. I have some ideas though for a new one.You may know also that I was in the countertop buis. with Dave for many yrs. and the countertop I had here already in storage. Just had to modify it to fit the camper. The sink is a drop-in S.S. bar top sink I found at a flea market for 15.00. I decided to use that particular faucet because it was high enough and small enough to not overwhelm the sink. It was from an old reverse osmosis freshwater tank my sister replaced in her kitchen. I also like it because the spigot and handle are one pc. to save room. Exclamation
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Very nice mods and restoration work Bill! Love the way the new table fits right in with the "decor".

Yes, I've known you for a long time and have learned a lot from you about craftsmanship. You have always done outstanding work. Love the counter top and faucet. Can't wait to see it in person!!!
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Great looking re-do. How much more of that corian do you have laying around? I'd like to redo my counters, but what I want is just WAYYY too expensive for me.

Love the watermelon decor!!

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:45 pm

KralCamper wrote:Very nice mods and restoration work Bill! Love the way the new table fits right in with the "decor".

Yes, I've known you for a long time and have learned a lot from you about craftsmanship. You have always done outstanding work. Love the counter top and faucet. Can't wait to see it in person!!!
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the compliment. Got alot more to do to make it more personal. Might even do a little airbrush work. Idea
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:53 pm

merrykalia wrote:Great looking re-do. How much more of that corian do you have laying around? I'd like to redo my counters, but what I want is just WAYYY too expensive for me.

Love the watermelon decor!!
Thanks Donna, Really glad you like it. I do have more corian in a few diff. colors. Just depends on how much you need. My wife did all the curtains, she is great with a sewing machine. She also likes collecting frog memorabilia and I think you can see the frog pillows she made in one of the pic. with the table.
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthWestyKim Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 am

coolbreeze1 wrote:Didn't know about not liking gas appliances. In SouthwestyKim's camper, she has an electric hot plate.

Nope, my camper has a two burner propane stove in the countertop. Fridge is also electric/propane. When the electricity at the campground on the fourth of july went out for a couple hours it sure was nice having that backup propane to keep fridge cold.

I love what you've done to the shasta, its gonna be a real beauty when you get done. Cant wait to see it in person. Very Happy

Kim Cool
SouthWestyKim
SouthWestyKim

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:51 pm

SouthWestyKim wrote:
coolbreeze1 wrote:Didn't know about not liking gas appliances. In SouthwestyKim's camper, she has an electric hot plate.

Nope, my camper has a two burner propane stove in the countertop. Fridge is also electric/propane. When the electricity at the campground on the fourth of july went out for a couple hours it sure was nice having that backup propane to keep fridge cold.

I love what you've done to the shasta, its gonna be a real beauty when you get done. Cant wait to see it in person. Very Happy

Kim Cool
Thanks so much Kim, It has definitely been a job but I'm sure it is gonna be worth it in the end. I should be posting more pics. soon. We have had such a positive response from everyone looks like we are gonna have to give a tour at the next outing.LOL!!! Smile
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Will there be snazzy graphics on the outside, like the class-A rigs have? Chuck posted some great pics a while back that showed how nice a travel trailer can be with the right graphics. I think it was coolbreeze's "other camper". rabbit
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Richard wrote:Will there be snazzy graphics on the outside, like the class-A rigs have? Chuck posted some great pics a while back that showed how nice a travel trailer can be with the right graphics. I think it was coolbreeze's "other camper". rabbit
I wouldn't wish that on anyone Mad
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Richard wrote:Will there be snazzy graphics on the outside, like the class-A rigs have? Chuck posted some great pics a while back that showed how nice a travel trailer can be with the right graphics. I think it was coolbreeze's "other camper". rabbit
Richard, My wife collects Frog memorabilia and has made curtains, throw pillows and a quilt for the camper. Because of the semi-round shape of it I told her I was going to paint it to look like a big frog. (you should have seen the look I got.)So I guess that idea is out. I don't want to be a copy-cat though. I have seen a few other restorations but they are all almost the same. Gonna have to do some more pondering on it. Rolling Eyes
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Good job, I have always wanted to take on a project like that except I don't really have the proper tools, or materials, or know-how, or ability, or confidence, or money, or patience, or etc... But if it were not for that stuff, I'd build one too!!!
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:53 am

abivens wrote:Good job, I have always wanted to take on a project like that except I don't really have the proper tools, or materials, or know-how, or ability, or confidence, or money, or patience, or etc... But if it were not for that stuff, I'd build one too!!!
Thanks, Glad you like it. It has definitely been a challenge but that is what I like. Keeps the mind sharp. This is really our first real camper so I am learning alot about them. Alot diff. than just trowing a tent in the back of the truck.
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:05 am

Have you camped in the SHASTA yet?
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:35 am

Chuck,
When we first got the Shasta we were so excited about it I wanted to take it on the road and test everything out. So I grease the wheels and away we went. I have an Uncle that lives in Al. and he wanted to go with us so we chose Big Bear lake in N. Alabama. We brought the camper and he brought the boat. I have those pic. also if you want to see them. That was our first and only trip we have taken so far in it. Very Happy
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:38 am

I think a big Frog would be cool. Here's a link to the graphics that Coolbreeze used on his other camper.
https://volunteercampers.forumotion.net/funny-stuff-f25/new-camper-t374.htm?sid=637aff7507a5833793877d84dce04db2

He tried to hide it from us, but Chuck seems to have spotted him at a campground and got this photo. Tim's paint job makes a big Frog seem downright classy.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Richard wrote:I think a big Frog would be cool. Here's a link to the graphics that Coolbreeze used on his other camper.
https://volunteercampers.forumotion.net/funny-stuff-f25/new-camper-t374.htm?sid=637aff7507a5833793877d84dce04db2

He tried to hide it from us, but Chuck seems to have spotted him at a campground and got this photo. Tim's paint job makes a big Frog seem downright classy.
WOW!!! I think I would have tried to hide it too. Don't think I want to got to that extreme. My wife said the pink was definitely " OUT " . affraid
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  seymourbass77 Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Put on some new photos of our restoration project. Before and after inside of exterior door, polishing wings, grinding,sanding and priming hitch. Boy has it been hot for this kind of work. sunny Go to www.flickr.com/seymourbass77 and they are in the Shasta restoration set.
seymourbass77
seymourbass77

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Great looking polish job on those wings, that will make it slip down the hwy easier. Smile
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum