Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas grill to charcoal

3 posters

Go down

Gas grill to charcoal Empty Gas grill to charcoal

Post  abivens Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:20 pm

I was wondering, can I safely convert an old gas grill to a charcoal? I have an old gas grill that is just about worn out, I was getting ready to trash it when I started thinking. Obviously I would need to get rid of all the gas structures, but my biggest question is: will the aluminum body hold up to the charcoal heat?
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Gas grill to charcoal Empty Re: Gas grill to charcoal

Post  Crawford Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:19 pm

If you put in a small grate to lift them to get air under them shouldn't be any problem.
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:22 am

Alan, I saw a really cool gas firepit made out of one on HGTV or DIY or CREATE or one of those channels. They ran the gas lines (not plastic, but metal) in through one of the side openings on the side, they filled it about halfway with gravel, dug a hole for it to fit into in the ground, down to the gas line, which was about 1" under, (to keep you from seeing it) filled the dirt back in. The tank was about 10' away, up against a fence. They ran the pipe underground. They used one of those round gas burners, which was laid on top of the gravel, then they filled in around it with glass rocks to cover the round burner. It was super cool. They had spray painted the outside with heat resistant paint.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down