Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AAA or Good Sams ?

+3
Priscilla
coolbreeze1
abivens
7 posters

Go down

AAA or Good Sams ? Empty AAA or Good Sams ?

Post  abivens Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Do any of you guys subscribe to triple A or Good Sams or maybe some other organization? We are planning a pretty big trip this summer and I would like to get the peace of mind. From what I have researched, it looks like Good Sams is cheaper and offers more than AAA. Are there any other options?
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

AAA or Good Sams ? Empty Re: AAA or Good Sams ?

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 pm

I was a Good Sams member but let it expire. They offer alot of extra stuff if you pay extra for it. They have good insurance for your rv. I just got it to get the discount at there cg's.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Priscilla Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Good Sam with out a doubt. AAA had let me down so many times I couldn't count. Everytime I called Good Sam, I have never been let down.

Thanks
Priscilla
Priscilla
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:22 pm

abivens wrote:Do any of you guys subscribe to triple A or Good Sams or maybe some other organization? We are planning a pretty big trip this summer and I would like to get the peace of mind. From what I have researched, it looks like Good Sams is cheaper and offers more than AAA. Are there any other options?

Nope - have not had either of them - well, we do belong to Good Sam's, but that is just for the campground discounts. I know they send lots of junk mail.

Anyway, where is your pretty big trip this summer?

We were looking to head to the UP of Michigan, but again, that depends upon whether we have any $$$.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:22 pm

kind of depends on what you are looking for. I was a GOOD SAM member.. mostly for the CG diiscount.. it just isn't worth the $$ for me since I tend to camp mostly in state parks. My GEICO ins policy, on the camper, includes road side service. If I have a problem,.. they will send someone to tow the camper or change a tire.. or whatever.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Donna, I think that Alan mentioned that they were going to Fort Wilderness at WDW.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:56 am

Yea, I'm going to Fort Wilderness for 6 days then driving up the coast to Crooked River state park in Georgia.
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:58 am

chuck wrote:kind of depends on what you are looking for. I was a GOOD SAM member.. mostly for the CG diiscount.. it just isn't worth the $$ for me since I tend to camp mostly in state parks. My GEICO ins policy, on the camper, includes road side service. If I have a problem,.. they will send someone to tow the camper or change a tire.. or whatever.
I didn't even think about my camper insurance policy that I already have. I need to dig out the policy and see what it will cover.
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:28 am

even if you don't have roadside service on the policy.. you can usually add it for something like a dollar a month (maybe less). I have it on all my cars too. We have used it for flat tires a couple of times.. well worth the 10-12 dollars a year.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:55 am

abivens wrote:Yea, I'm going to Fort Wilderness for 6 days then driving up the coast to Crooked River state park in Georgia.

I hope you love the Fort! We will arrive there May 24th and head home on June 8th. Unless something happens with Craig's job...

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:48 pm

We get there on the 25th of May and leave on the 6th of June
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 pm

abivens wrote:We get there on the 25th of May and leave on the 6th of June

Yay... anybody else want to head to the Fort?

We need to figure out whats covered by our insurance and see if we need to add some sort of roadside coverage as well...

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:32 am

I don't have insurance on my PUP. Explain why I need it? Doesn't the truck insurance cover the trailer. I don't even have a tag, as it's not required. If the PUP was destroyed, no great loss. I have a spare tire and a jack.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:54 am

maybe you don't need any insurance on your camper.. I don't know. I have to have it.. because mine is financed. I think I would have it anyway. If my camper ever comes off the hitch and slams into someones house or car.. I wana be covered. and its pretty cheap. My policy is only about $15 a month.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Priscilla Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:19 am

I have all my campers, cars, home, and boat covered. The insurance is very pricey, But I need it. Our Motor Home burnt about 2 years ago and if it wasn't covered I would have lost it all. My insurance also covers all I have in it. Its higher but it replaced everything. If you have replacement cost on your insurance, It will pay replacement of everything. My daughter is an agent and help me with what I need to know. I cant afford insurance at her place, But she does help me with what I need to know. Insurance isn't worth a dime until you need it, then its worth every cent.
Priscilla
Priscilla
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:43 am

I'm pretty sure my auto coverage covers a trailer in tow. Plus I have a blanket liability policy with my homeowner's insurance that might cover it. Replacing the camper wouldn't really be an issue. It couldn't be too expensive to get a PUP in the shape mine is in. Plus, I'd have to start over on all my mods either way.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:46 am

A friend of mine "Scotty" was a member of www.passportamerica.com/ when he was full-timing. He said it saved him a bundle. I didn't join because the only campground they have around here is Lakeview, and I won't be camping there enough to make it pay off.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 am

just a thought.. If my auto insurance covers a "trailer in tow".. why do they sell RV insurance? maybe just to take my money? Does the "trailer in tow".. mean a work trailer or something like that.. does it include a travel trailer/camper?
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 am

chuck wrote:just a thought.. If my auto insurance covers a "trailer in tow".. why do they sell RV insurance? maybe just to take my money? Does the "trailer in tow".. mean a work trailer or something like that.. does it include a travel trailer/camper?

Well stated. Yes, Chuck, that's exactly what I'm wondering. Especially since the PUP is in the same class as a small utility trailer, not requiring a tag in Tennessee.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Our auto insurance covers a trailer in tow, but without the camper insurance it does not cover the camper. When the camper is no long being towed my the truck and it gets damaged by flood waters, tree falling on the camper, for example, it will not be covered. But if the truck is still towed at the time the example happens, then it is covered.

I asked my agent all these questions, because I thought if the truck has trailer in tow insurance, why do I need it for the camper. It's like having a second home!!

Check with your insurance company and ask just that question Why?
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Darlene makes a good point. My auto insurance covers towing but the rv insurance covers the rv when not being towed. If my rv should catch fire, while I was way from it the rv insurance would cover it. Check your policy, and if your still not sure, talk with your agent.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Priscilla Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 pm

We may need to ask our agents. I was told once that it will only cover trailers you barrow. I ask my agent at that time why would it not cover my Travel trailer? He said to be honest, "They want to make more money, and if you can afford a camping trailer or something like that, You can afford the insurance to cover it." Its a crazy, mixed up world. And we are all stuck in the middle of it.
Priscilla
Priscilla
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down