Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas about camping.. maybe changing.

+4
Richard
Gregg
coolbreeze1
chuck
8 posters

Go down

Ideas about camping.. maybe changing. Empty Ideas about camping.. maybe changing.

Post  chuck Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:04 pm

With the extreme heat wave.. I think I am changing my thoughts on camping. I might well do most of my camping in the early spring.. and then from September through November. I really don't think I like going in the heat. I am so looking forward to cooler days and nights.

chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Ideas about camping.. maybe changing. Empty Re: Ideas about camping.. maybe changing.

Post  coolbreeze1 Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 pm

chuck wrote:With the extreme heat wave.. I think I am changing my thoughts on camping. I might well do most of my camping in the early spring.. and then from September through November. I really don't think I like going in the heat. I am so looking forward to cooler days and nights.

I'm with you Chuck. The weather now is just to dang hot. I can always stay at the house for ac, and not pull the trailer to sit in it's ac. I like being able to get out an walking and checking out other peoples sites.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Ideas about camping.. maybe changing. Empty Re: Ideas about camping.. maybe changing.

Post  Gregg Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:48 pm

This also has been an unusually hot summer..but dry camping at elkmont in June was very comfortable since most sites are shaded

Gregg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:45 pm

I like camping year round, but extreem heat or extreem cold will keep me home. I don't go camping to sit in the camper all day.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:49 pm

I like to camp pretty much whenever I can get a chance to go in the spring, summer or fall! There's nothing else quite like it. The extreme hot will slow me down a little, but I still enjoy it. Rain permitting...

I just don't like to camp when the temps drop below 40f!!!
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Yep been saying that right along can't wait till end of Sept
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:46 pm

I like to camp about anytime!!

We have camped in all four seasons (down south during the winter), but I love it when the leaves start turning those beautiful, glowing colors and there is a slight chill in the breeze so you have to wear a sweater. Yep, the fall is MY time of the year!!

We have camped when we awoke with snow on the ground and it got down into the 20's at night. With our electric heater and the thermostat sat on 60, we made it through fine. It warmed up into the 60's during the day, so that was pretty perfect for me.....makes you want a good roaring fire in the fire pit.

We love to camp at Thanksgiving - used to always go to Hunting Island to the beach, but the last 2 years, we have gone to Pigeon Forge, Pine Mountain RV Park.

We have gone to Hunting Island after Christmas and a friend and I went down there in January for a 1/2 week trip. Left after work on Wed, and came home on Monday. The weather was perfect while we were there - you could get out on the beach with shorts and T'shirt during the day and with a jacket/pants at night. There were very few people around, so that made it even better.

Summertime camping is usually vacation time for us, so we head where it's even hotter, but we spend time on the beach and at the pool and very little time outside the camper. We usually get out 1 chair (for smoking) and that is it outside. If we do camp, it's usually at Flag Rock where the temps can get rather chilly no matter what the day temps are. Last weekend, we all had to have jackets on Thursday evening - it wasn't just chilly, it was pretty cold with the wind. (yeah, it was 95 degrees here in town during the day and we had jackets on in the early evening). We may take a trip to Natural Tunnel, also, during the summer, but the temps there seem to be a little lower than in town.

We start out our spring time with camping for spring break/Easter break and we sometimes stay close to home, sometimes head for the beach at Hunting Island or Gulf Shores or Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. No specific place, but we do want water to be around.

So, fall is my favorite time, followed closely by all the rest.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Well my ideals of camping the rest of this may have come to a complete halt. I got a job, it starts this Monday. The bad part is, that it starts at 3am in the morning Shocked
It is Monday thur Friday. Will have to see how things work out. Sad Sad
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 pm

That's wonderful, Tim. Is it the job you were talking about while camping with us on Flag Rock, the daily Knoxville to Atlanta run?

As for camping, you will be joining the ranks of most of us and have to leave when you get home on Friday afternoon, then leaving out on Sunday to get home to bed in time to get up EARLY Monday morning. You will just be about 4 hours ahead of everybody else.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:24 pm

merrykalia wrote:That's wonderful, Tim. Is it the job you were talking about while camping with us on Flag Rock, the daily Knoxville to Atlanta run?

As for camping, you will be joining the ranks of most of us and have to leave when you get home on Friday afternoon, then leaving out on Sunday to get home to bed in time to get up EARLY Monday morning. You will just be about 4 hours ahead of everybody else.
It is not the job we were talking about, but it is with the same company. I will be going from Knoxville to Kingsport, with 5 different stop off's. The company does off paid time off days. I maybe able to work out something for next year.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:14 pm

I can camp any time, less clothes in the summer, a lot of clothes in the winter, the spring and fall I can remove or add to either keep me warm or cool. For me comfort is the key. I like to sat outside most of the time I camp so I am always prepared to what weather comes my way. As of today I can camp tonight and next weekend. Problem is time off from work.

It was real hot last trip we had to Ohio, but I can swim or dance in the rain while looking for four leaf clovers.

A trip to Cove lake I could camp Thursday to Saturday and still make it to work on Friday. Sounds good to me.

Last edited by Darcamper on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved comment)
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:42 am

Darcamper wrote:
I can camp any time, less clothes in the summer, a lot of clothes in the winter, the spring and fall I can remove or add to either keep me warm or cool. For me comfort is the key. I like to sat outside most of the time I camp so I am always prepared to what weather comes my way.

Darlene, sounds like you may have to get Dave his own Snuggie so he can go with you if it's getting below 40 degrees.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:22 pm

As long as we have propane for the furnace I'll probably be okay. I have lots of cold weather clothes...and company to keep me warm...
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Dave, I'm guessing that means we won't see you around the campsite in a snuggie then?

I have one, but It hasn't been camping yet.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:42 pm

I would probably be wearing a flannel AND be wrapped in a blanket. Not really a snuggie kind of guy...
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down