Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to camping with Dogs

+5
merrykalia
coolbreeze1
KralCamper
chuck
Darcamper
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New to camping with Dogs Empty New to camping with Dogs

Post  Darcamper Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 pm

I know several members take their dogs with them to camp. Dave and I want to bring our dogs on the next trip we do. What suggestions do you have for us to make sure a great trip with our dogs. We are planning a trip where we can fish and no plans to leave our camper alone. At night we will bring the dogs in the camper.
So for a bringing trip we will stay in the back yard one night to see how they act.

Thanks
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

New to camping with Dogs Empty Re: New to camping with Dogs

Post  chuck Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 pm

I think the "trial run" in the back yard is probably a good thing.

On the actual trip.. keep a good supply of small shopping bags or buy some of those poop bags.. Always carry one or two in your pocket. A few times I have walked my dog.. I get on the other side of the campground and he decides it's time to do his business. I have to walk all the way back to the camper and get a bag.. then return to the scene of the crime for pick up.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Great advice, Chuck.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 pm

At least Chuck is a responsible pet owner, he picks up after his pet Razz
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Tue May 04, 2010 10:18 pm

Before my labs got too old, they both LOVED to camp. When we would start adding stuff to the camper, they would bark, jump, run, etc. for HOURS. If we started toward the camper without them, they would HOWL! (I didn't know that labs could HOWL like a basset house, but they can!) We always took a bowl exactly like the ones at the house for water and food, took the food in a big rubbermaid tote to keep away from raccoons and weather.

We always had and may still have a screw-down tether to attach them to, but we used the steps of the camper more than anything else. That way they could get under the awning or camper for shade.

I really miss not taking the one remaining, but she's 15 years old and doesn't get around too well. The ride would probably kill her.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Donna, that brings me to the question of transporting the dog(s) to the campground. Were you able to fit the 2 dogs and the girls in the back seat of the truck? That is one of my issues. Where to put Teddy when traveling to the campground and back home from the campground. I know Teddy would love to camp with us. He is the best boy. But, he probably weighs in at about 90 pounds now.

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Tue May 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Ours both weighed in about 85-90 pounds and love to ride in the vehicle, but HAVE to have a window. It didn't work real well with both dogs and girls, but we only have the 1 dog now.

Before the girls, the 2 dogs rode in the backseats with THEIR own window down to hang their heads out.

Funny story, well....it is now! We were heading out camping and our niece was with us so she was in the backseat and both dogs were trying to hang out the one window and the oldest, Ebony PUSHED Merry, the youngest out!! Yeah, out the window. She hit the asphalt and rolled, but got up and ran back toward the vehicle. She was running beside us before I could get stopped. She got back in and NIPPED Ebony, but the fight was over. I was really worried about her, but when we got to the campground, she was fine.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 05, 2010 12:15 am

Poor Merry!! Teddy loves to ride in the car as well. Just not enough room. I had thought of buying the kind of kennel that you put dogs in to go on an airplane and then put it in the back of the truck for the drive. He would probably be scared. I will have to figure it out. We have a great boarding kennel we use if everyone goes camping. It is by the hospital in Bristol and they are great. David is normally home though due to his summer job..

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Wed May 05, 2010 1:22 pm

We will put the dogs in the backs seat since, they are used to that when we take them to the dog park. One dog sets still, the other will run back and fourth from window to window. I am wonder how they will be if we are outside of the camper. I just don't wont them to bark at everything coming and going.....
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 05, 2010 1:58 pm

"Darcamper" said: We will put the dogs in the backs seat since, they are used to that when we take them to the dog park. One dog sets still, the other will run back and fourth from window to window. I am wonder how they will be if we are outside of the camper. I just don't wont them to bark at everything coming and going.... -------------------

How are they now when it comes to barking? If they are out and people go by, do they bark? I think that would be a pretty good indication of how they would be. Is there a park you can go to and hang out with them for a bit and see how they react to people?
Do they bark when they see people? See if they quiet quickly if they do bark? Also, are they used to going in the camper? If not, you may want to get them used to going in the camper while your at home. And, once they seem comfortable in the camper at home, see how they do if they are alone in the camper. If they are alone in the camper and are quiet, then make noise outside while they are alone in the camper. Do they bark?

Sounds like they have the car riding part down : ) Getting them introduced to the camper prior to the trip (if they are not used to it) might make the first trip easier.

Back to top Go down

Post  fisherpal2k Wed May 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Weusually have a pet kennel with us when we travel. Our dog is a bit smaller than that tho! If we leave for anything we can put the dog in the kennel box and go away for an hour or so and he does fine. No barking or anything until you start to open the camper door. Then he wants to be petted.
We have a larger dog that we sometimes take also and we use a kennel box for her too. She does well with it and like has been said before, if you have a problem in the park, just think of what will happen around a crowded camp ground.
We have times that there are kids around and they always want to pet the dogs. If the dogs are in any way aggressive, I would not reccomend taking them to a camp ground. There was a lady that had a dog at Hornsby Hollow last trip and it done real well as long as no one was around but her. If someone came to talk to the lady the dog went ballistic. That is a no no..
We always carry bags and a little scoop like you work in the flower bed with for the nasty jobs. Keeping things clean makes a lot of difference in the camp ground.
I think a BY camping trip with the dogs would tell the tale. Just stay one night out there and let the dogs stay inside with you and see how it goes. But be careful!!!! Our dogs have already laid claim to the couch and the part under the table for their area. Very Happy
My wife lets the dog run around in the camper and we went to the shower house and back. When I came back he was snuggled up in the bed and had pulled the cover over himself and would not come out till we found him. His idea of hide and seek. lol.
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 pm

The dogs are great at the dog park. they have never barked, but one has growled before but that was because another dog was pushing her buttons and got her mad. People can pet them and they don't mind, as long as it is short and sweet. I guess it's because the park is pretty big and the dogs can just stop to say hi and then go in another direction. We have done some backyard camping and the dogs will stay around the camper with us or not very far away, but we have never had them stay with us in the camper overnight.

They are outside dogs, but we have had them in the house before when the temps get too cold outside. They spent 4 or 5 nights in the house this last winter, and never had an accident. They did fight once the first time they spent the night in the house last year, but that was because one had jumped up on the couch and when I put her down the other saw the weakness and went after the other. but it didn't last long.

I think they will do fine camping. We are just wanting to get some ideas from people on what they do for their own pets when camping. this has been a very good thread and I have seen a lot of great suggestions.

Thank you all (y'all) for the great input.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 pm

We are going to dogs a try in the camper tonight. We were able to get them to come in, but Roxy hesitated so I had to put her in. We will let them sleep in the camper tonight and see how that goes. More information in the morning....
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Sat May 08, 2010 3:22 pm

The dogs did great late night in the camper. So we are ready to take them camping...
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sat May 08, 2010 6:51 pm

GOOD! We will look forward to meeting them on an upcoming trip.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fisherpal2k Mon May 10, 2010 9:26 am

Glad to hear that it went well! Hope you have fun with them. Just remember when you are camping and the dogs take a swim they will head straight for your bed when they get in the camper! lol.
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon May 10, 2010 1:39 pm

My beast, um, dog, errr, Labradoodle got to go into my camper once. She tinkled on the floor, and now she isn't welcome in there. She barks at stranger that come up to the house, and she's big. That's enough to keep her, but not enough to take her camping.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Priscilla Mon May 10, 2010 4:25 pm

We take our Doberman and Chihuahua. That is a mix. The Doberman (Meghan) is just 10 months old, The Chihuahua (Gracie) is 4 years old. We have fun with the dogs. We never leave our dogs outside the camp when camping, and never never at Big South Fort.
Priscilla
Priscilla
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Darlene, glad the babies did well overnight in the camper! Priscilla, I envy you.. I have always wanted a Doberman! Hope to see you and meet Meghan sometime. What is her temperament like?

Back to top Go down

Post  Priscilla Mon May 10, 2010 7:44 pm

happycamper, She is very sweet. She is young and loves people, we are trying to get her used to other dogs. She is a little aggressive to other dogs. Our other Doberman stays home. He is a 100 pounder. He is to care for the house and things.
Priscilla
Priscilla
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Tue May 11, 2010 10:52 am

Hey Priscilla.....we have both of your dogs rolled into one!!! We have a miniature pinscher!! She weighs about 6.5 pounds, but thinks she weighs at least 150#!! She is 3 years old and is way too rambunctious (sp?) for us to take camping. She is the guardian of the household. Nobody moves in or out that she doesn't respond to - which is good, but can also be BAD.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Priscilla Wed May 12, 2010 5:39 am

merrykalia, Those little dogs are so cute. Yes the are both in one. We like the look of them. Our Chihuahua weights 7 pounds. She will stand her ground with the Dobermans. All 3 are like kids, part of the family.
Priscilla
Priscilla
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthWestyKim Wed May 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I have a little dog named Sam that is 20lbs.She is a jack-a-bee (jack russell terrier and beagle) I took her camping last fall and this spring, she is a great camper. She is small enough to fit in the front seat, I attach her harness to a doggie seatbelt. I was using a long chain tie up at camp but she kept "clotheslining" my ankles with it so with this new TT I will be getting a collaspable wire pen that you can free form in a circle , square ect.
SouthWestyKim
SouthWestyKim

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Wed May 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the help, we are leaving right now for Indian Mountain State Park for four nights with the dogs. I hope all goes well for us and the dogs....
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Just wondering, Who tastes Dog Food when it has a "New and Improved Flavor?"
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member