Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metallic blankets

+2
Richard
Darcamper
6 posters

Go down

Metallic blankets Empty Metallic blankets

Post  Darcamper Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Does anyone know were to find metallic blankets. A large one like the metallic window covers for windshields. The kind that will prevent the car from getting to hot in the sun.
Anyone?
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Metallic blankets Empty Re: Metallic blankets

Post  Richard Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:45 am

I got space blankets from Chuck to go over my bunk ends. They aren't stiff like the ones for the windshield though. For stiff ones you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get refletix insulation board. I'm not sure I answered what you asked, though.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:22 pm

Richard wrote:I got space blankets from Chuck to go over my bunk ends. They aren't stiff like the ones for the windshield though. For stiff ones you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get refletix insulation board. I'm not sure I answered what you asked, though.

Yes you did Richard, thank you so much. I thought for a minute no one knew what I was asking. I should have known Auto Zone or Peep boys wasn't the place to look.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:41 am

there's a story behind those space blankets that I gave Richard.. (Dave knows... ssshhh)

anyway.. I ordered them from Cabela's: SPCAE BLANKETS

You can attach them with bungee cords.. or other mechanisms. I used bungees.. then I changed to boat tarp clips.. you can get them at WAL-MART.

Last edited by chuck on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:25 pm

You're right Richard, she was talking about the Reflectix from Lowe's or Home Depot (I should have known that you would know their entire inventory and store layout by now).
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:09 pm

KralCamper wrote:You're right Richard, she was talking about the Reflectix from Lowe's or Home Depot (I should have known that you would know their entire inventory and store layout by now).

sad, funny and true. I buy the rolls of the stuff for easier storage. I set it up all around the king-size bunk end (benind the bunk end support bow). It really seems to help. The kids like to sleep in the beds under the roof in the winter, so I keep the curtains closed on the other smaller (back end) bunk, which we mostly use to pile the enormous amounts of things that we bring but don't use much. I'm thinking of taking the curtains down and either sewing some thicker insulating stuff onto them, or just replacing them with thicker insulating stuff. Space blankets instead of the curtains would probably be ideal for summer, winter and visual privacy. All the curtains, not just the ones used to block off the end bunk. I also want to put the velcro on the flaps on the bunk ends like Darlene did. That would cut the drafts and speed setup.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:07 pm

The more I think of getting space blankets and making curtains out of them, the more I like the idea. santa
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:01 am

Richard wrote:The more I think of getting space blankets and making curtains out of them, the more I like the idea. santa

So would these be Quilted Curtains?

For me personally the Alum ones would not exactly go with my Decor plus Jen may not approve Smile
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:52 am

I have curtains,several in the camper, I wanted the blankets to put over the mattress, but i found the foam blankets to add. I read that not only would they be warm but we would not feel the folded seams. The mattress in the camper folds three ways, so each mattress has three seams the fold up when the bunk closes.

I got what Chuck has for his mattress in his camper. In order to make sure the foam does not get the same fold as the mattress, I will have to leave them off the beds and roll them up and store them in the camper.

Later we will look into the Cabela's space blankets for the outside of the bunks, we plan to camp much more and learn ends ans out of a HTT, then start a need list.

We still are not sure now to fold the bunk ends up Embarassed
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 am

craigw wrote:
Richard wrote:The more I think of getting space blankets and making curtains out of them, the more I like the idea. santa

So would these be Quilted Curtains?

For me personally the Alum ones would not exactly go with my Decor plus Jen may not approve Smile

Craig, I wasn't thinking of quilted curtains. Then again, I don't have a Decor to speak of. I was even possibly thinking of taping the single-use space blankets to the back of the curtains. They'd be rather crinkley though. I also thought about the drapery liners they sell at wal-mart. I'm looking for something the won't add a lot of weight to the roof going up. Thus the space blanket idea. I'll probably get the ones from cabellas with the polly reinforced backing. Quieter, and would add a bit of privacy.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:32 am

When we had the hybrid, I bought the quilted space blankets from Bass Pro Shop, one for each end and used clips to hook it to the outside of the bunk ends. They were red on one side and silver on the other. When we sold the HTT, they were still attached.

They were thick enough to really block the heat/cold, but were pliable enough that you COULD make curtains from them and they wouldn't crinkle.

I believe they were about $15 each.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:56 pm

Hmmmm, Chuck gave me two Cabellas space blankets that are red on one side and silver on the other to use and bunk end covers, but they weren't quilted. I'll have to slide over to cabella's website and take a look. I've pretty much decided to cut refletix and put it inside the windows (between the inside pannel and the screens where practical. Just too much trouble to sew curtains by comparison. But, these would be dandy for the bunk end close off curtains.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:38 pm

I put Refletix in all the windows. Plenty warm. I'm going to use the leftover to put under the mattresses on the bunk ends. Worth every penny. See pictures under the My Pop Up thread.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum