Water Leaks - ETERNABOND

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Water Leaks - ETERNABOND

Post  chuck on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:32 am

We may have discussed this before.. but with recent talk about leaks and RV roofs, etc.. I thought I would ask your opinions on ETERNABOND.

If you don't know what it is.. its a tape sealant that alot of people are using over caulking. some say it lasts for years and years.. Many say they have solved their leaking problems easily with ETERNABOND.. what do you think?

Read this thread for the low down:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f110/eternabond-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-11501.html

chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Water Leaks - ETERNABOND

Post  abivens on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:57 am

I have not used it yet, but when I spoke to a technician at Camping World, he said the stuff was great. He recommended keeping some handy at all times. Apparently the tape fuses to the seam and becomes part of the roof.
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:19 am

I have heard the same thing. Seems to be some good stuff for leak repair.
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:28 pm

We will be doing some roof work on the camper this spring before our first trip this year. We have looked at the caulking on the roof seams and found we need to do something to repair it. There have been several instances of leaks since we purchased our 21ft. 2000 Trail Lite Bantam HTT approx 2 years ago. These have usually been minor neusance leaks, usually at the front of the camper which would leave a few stains on the bunk end vinyl, sometimes on the bottom of the bunk end where the hinge is. But last year, we had started to feel a few soft spots on the floor right by the entrance to the shower/bathroom and possibly inside the bathroom on the outside wall. Thinking that the shower may have developed a small leak as well. I will also be looking at the front bunk end hinge itself because I feel the hinge is possibly "wicking" water to the inside of the bunk frame through it and we see rusty streaks on the outside of the camper from the ends of the hinge after it rains. We also get some moisture on the flat panel inside the bunk frame where the hinge is.

Dar will look for the same problems that others have had and their possible solutions by going to forums like RV.Net and a few others. I noticed that she kept coming up two products that people have used more than others.

After researching these two products for the last few days, I have placed an order for 1-50ft roll of Eternabond tape at http://www.eternabond.com/ to cover all of the roof seams and 2 gallons of Liquid Roof at http://www.buyliquidroof.com/liquidrubber.html to re-coat the rubber roof. Both Liquid Roof and Eternabond have links to several videos of customers applying the products as well as training videos.

I will be removing most of the current (cracking) caulk all around the roof perimeter, vents, air conditioner, and anything else I can find up there that needs to be repaired. Cleaning and prepping the roof for the new work. Then I will be ready to apply the Eternabond and new roof coating.

After that is done I will be looking into finding the leak in the shower and repairing the soft spot in the floor. After that we will be trying to find a fix for the shower walls without replacing them because the walls are not bad, but we would like to make them better if we can. Still trying to figure out what to do about the hinge issue...

We will try to take picks as we go this time (Richard, you know I usually don't take any pics of my mods...because I am thinking about the fix itself so i forget to take pics of the fix along the way). We will let you all know how it all comes out. We are hoping to give the camper new life and get some leak free camping as a result.

Lots of work to do before camping this year...but should all be well worth the effort.

Time to go Camping!
Nights camped in 2013 - Hoping for a lot!
Nights camped in 2012 - 5
Nights camped in 2011 - 33
Nights camped in 2010 - 34
Having adventures and making memories
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 pm

KralCamper wrote:After researching these two products for the last few days, I have placed an order for 1-50ft roll of Eternabond tape at http://www.eternabond.com/ to cover all of the roof seams and 2 gallons of Liquid Roof at http://www.buyliquidroof.com/liquidrubber.html to re-coat the rubber roof. Both Liquid Roof and Eternabond have links to several videos of customers applying the products as well as training videos.
anxious to hear how it goes with ETERNABOND.. If it works.. like most folks say.. it should be in every RV owners tool box. I have thought about ordering some.. and just going over all the likely places for leaks to develop.

One RV manufacturer (Forest River) has started using ETERNABOND around the windows in the roof sections of their "A" frame pop-ups. They apparently were having too many window leaks on new units.

Keep us posted.

and if you need any help.. let me know.

chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:53 pm

It works very well as long as your rubber roof isn't chocking which mean white power. If you see this sign it won't stick for long. If you have this is wash roof very well and Get Liquid Rubber roof, mix the the bottle in gal that comes with it and spread it on it turns white and rubber looks like a new rubber roof. They say it should last 8 to 10 years mine been on for 2 years and still looks great and NO leaks. Its not cheep about 79.00 gal my roof was so bad it took 3 gals and they tell you to apply very heavy. Then take the tape and go around all vents and skylights. Like I said my was leakier for the last couple of years not bad but had some stains in ceiling. Now nice and clean. Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
Crawford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Crawford wrote:It works very well as long as your rubber roof isn't chocking which mean white power. If you see this sign it won't stick for long.

I have read that too... The places you apply ETERNABOND must be clean. If not.. the tape will start curling up on the edges. They sell a cleaning compound.. but I think there are other solutions that will clean the surface just as well.

chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:27 pm

chuck wrote:
Crawford wrote:It works very well as long as your rubber roof isn't chocking which mean white power. If you see this sign it won't stick for long.

I have read that too... The places you apply ETERNABOND must be clean. If not.. the tape will start curling up on the edges. They sell a cleaning compound.. but I think there are other solutions that will clean the surface just as well.

They have a cleaning solution or also recommend lacquer thinner or acetone to clean the roof. I will try some lacquer thinner on a small section to see if it has any adverse effects.

You have to buy from a distributor. Was looking at $62.00/roll plus 10.00 for shipping. I found it on Amazon.com for a 4" x 50' roll, $55.25 and free shipping.

Time to go Camping!
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 pm

I need to reply remember even if you clean and rubber is chocking it will still do so went tape is applied after time it will fail. Once the rubber has total failure ,it just best to scrub the rubber off and hit it with liquid rubber roof coating it sinking into the fabric which is left after old rubber is removed and new coating sinks in to replaces the old. IMO this is the only way to be sure it will not leak unless you replace it with new roof. I just hate any roof leaks and if I get another coach with would never have a rubber roof. Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
Crawford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  afob3 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Eternabond is so easy it is crazy not to try it. I used it on a tiny roof tear on my slide. When I spoke to the manuf. about the tiny tear we chose this route instead of removing the whole slide & replacing that roof.

From everything I have read, the surface needs to be clean and when applied it takes lots of pressure. I used a test piece on the side of my tool box & squished it down with my thumb until the black sealant started to ooze out the edges. It is solid & not going anywhere. I had the same experience when I applied it to my tiny tear.

afob3

View user profile http://www.familyobrien.net

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:52 pm

some folks use a roller to apply.. maybe thats a good idea.

chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 pm

afob3 wrote:Eternabond is so easy it is crazy not to try it. I used it on a tiny roof tear on my slide. When I spoke to the manuf. about the tiny tear we chose this route instead of removing the whole slide & replacing that roof.

From everything I have read, the surface needs to be clean and when applied it takes lots of pressure. I used a test piece on the side of my tool box & squished it down with my thumb until the black sealant started to ooze out the edges. It is solid & not going anywhere. I had the same experience when I applied it to my tiny tear.

Thanks for the advice! What did you use to clean the area before applying the Eternabond?

Chuck,
I have a small roller that will be used on the edges of the tape. It wouldn't be practical to use on the tops of the tracks with screws that hold the roof in place.

Last edited by KralCamper on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added content)

Time to go Camping!
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  afob3 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:14 pm

I didn't use anything other than a little soap & water on a damp sponge. The roof was so new at the time there wasn't any grime.

afob3

View user profile http://www.familyobrien.net

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:25 am

Well, We received the Liquid Roof already and the Eternabond tape shipped yesterday. Now all I need is a few nice rain free days that happen to fall on my days off so I can get this project started...

Time to go Camping!
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Pics of the roof work is coming soon in a new thread...

Time to go Camping!
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content