Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheap way to convert to LED Dome lights

4 posters

Go down

Cheap way to convert to LED Dome lights Empty Cheap way to convert to LED Dome lights

Post  Richard Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:28 pm

I have the delusions that I will do some dry camping (no hookups) and that conserving battery power will be important. Still, I find the prices of 12-volt LED bulbs that will go into the 1156 socket in my dome lights to be way too high.

I picked up a LED array in Lowes (in the light bulb isle) for $8.99 plust tax. It is designed to replace a halogen bulb in landscape lighting. It is 12-volt, though the package doesn't say so.

I took the old 1156 bulb down to just the brass, and did a little engineering to create a two-prong socket within it. I put the base in, and the LED array plugs right in. Almost as much nice white light, and no heat. I love it.

Here's the engineering. I had a female CATV outlet in my junk box. This one wasn't a double female, but instead had a lead in the center to attach the center wire of the coax. I trimmed this down to a small nub. I covered the bottom with a disc of electrical tape, with the nub sticking through the center. I reamed out the hole in the bottom of the 1156 brass and inserted the female CATV outlet end. The nut that came with it went on inside the brass to hold everything tight.

One leg of the LED bulb/Array plugs into the center hole, and the other rubs against the threads of the female end. It works great and stays in place.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Cheap way to convert to LED Dome lights Empty Re: Cheap way to convert to LED Dome lights

Post  merrykalia Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:22 pm

pictures, please!

I am a visual learner and reading that had my brain going in circles - now, if I see it, that is a different story.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Cheap way to convert to LED Dome lights Empty Re: Cheap way to convert to LED Dome lights

Post  Richard Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:33 pm

OK, the simple version. I jerry-rigged a way to make the LED bulb plug into the old bulb base, then plugged all that into the 12-volt socket.

Nice white light and no heat.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TEllis Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:33 am

Cool... I need to change mine but I too was not enjoying the prices that I was seeing.

TEllis

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:50 am

TEllis wrote:Cool... I need to change mine but I too was not enjoying the prices that I was seeing.
Maybe the prices will come down. One cannot really justify switching out all of their lights in their RV. Maybe when the RV manufactures start using led's in their new product lines the prices may drop.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:50 am

I'm not going to change out the tail-lights, but if the experiment holds up for a road trip or two, I'll change out my two other dome lights, the porch light, and the bunk end fan that Mr. Trimmer and Crawford gave me.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down