Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food Left in Camper

3 posters

Go down

Food Left in Camper Empty Food Left in Camper

Post  Darcamper Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Do a lot of you leave food in your camper for weeks or stock the camper right before you leave?

Funny thing happen to me, two weeks ago we had plans to go camping close by and the weather was not looking great but I packed the camper anyway. On Wednesday night I put all the clothes and food needed for that weekend trip, well Thursday was cold and rain was sating in. So by noon time Thursday I just could not go camping. I even toke time off from work and still did not go camping, instead I just went back to work and saved the vacation time. I will end this by saying, I went out to the camper to check it out today and open the cabinets and OMG found four black bananas..so bad..everything else was still ok.
I never leave food in the camper but I forgot!
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Food Left in Camper Empty Re: Food Left in Camper

Post  merrykalia Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm

I always leave food in the camper!! Not bananas, or anything that will rot, but the basics, such as flour, sugar, peanut butter and other such things. They even stay in during the winter months, but if we run out in the house, I just go get the camper stash. These are kept in tupperware containers (not p-nut butter) and are replenished when needed. I put canned goods in there in the spring and if not used, bring them out after our Thanksgiving trip. Most of them are used and replenished throughout the summer months. These are basics for us, such as spaghetti o's with meatballs (Jayda's favorite), chicken and noodle soup, mac 'n cheese (for Elora), green beans, pork 'n beans (for Butch) and chicken stock, beef stock and other soups for cooking for me.

I keep a hefty supply of different types of noodles, cereals and rice, also in a tupperware containers, that is used quite often and replenished when needed.

When we plan to camp, I just add the other stuff such as meat and fresh veggies and we are ready.

This works for us, but might not work for others.

I did leave a bag of potatoes in there ONCE!! Won't make that mistake again - let's talk about stinking!!!!

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:45 am

This was the first time I left food in the camper. I always put the food in before leaving. Most of the stuff is still good, other then the bananas, I forgot they were in there.
I am leave a few items in there this season.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:11 pm

One year I stocked provisions so I could take off at the last minute. It was nice to have choices and not to have to plan. That food box was heavy. Last year I primarily did menus, and threw in a few extras. The menu method seemed to work better, and that's what I'll start with this season. I'll probably stock a few "open the can and serve" things for those "just in case" situations, but they will be few. My goal is to haul less things around, thus being less disorganized, yet still having the things I like.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down