Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What advice for someone buying a camper?

+2
coolbreeze1
Richard
6 posters

Go down

What advice for someone buying a camper? Empty What advice for someone buying a camper?

Post  Richard Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:58 pm

What two or three pieces of advice would you give to someone that is considering buying their first camper?

Mine would be:
1. Rent something similar to what you are planning to buy, so you'll know first hand.
2. Consider buying one slightly older that was used only a little to save some money.
3. Make REALLY sure that your vehicle can tow the thing, without just taking the camper dealer's word for it. Ask abivens or Butch on this board if you aren't sure.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

What advice for someone buying a camper? Empty Re: What advice for someone buying a camper?

Post  coolbreeze1 Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Richard wrote:What two or three pieces of advice would you give to someone that is considering buying their first camper?

Mine would be:
1. Rent something similar to what you are planning to buy, so you'll know first hand.
2. Consider buying one slightly older that was used only a little to save some money.
3. Make REALLY sure that your vehicle can tow the thing, without just taking the camper dealer's word for it. Ask abivens or Butch on this board if you aren't sure.
Would agree with #3. Make sure that you can tow it first. I would say go a look at as many different rv's that you can. Check out there spec's and sleeping arangements that you would need. Join different rv'ing sites and ask as many questions that you can think of.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

What advice for someone buying a camper? Empty Re: What advice for someone buying a camper?

Post  Crawford Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:52 pm

1 ask yourself do you really want to tow if so look for a large enough unit for you and family. 2 has it enough storage compartments 3 are you going to use bath room, is it large enough for you to shower in. yes by all means do you have a good size truck to handle load. I find many have just marginal trucks to do the job. I myself did pull TT in the past but I find older I more my wisdom comes forward. I drive a C Class coach for me it's great and in today's market you can get a great deal. I would tell anyone to try both then go for it. Boy a class A looks better all the time to me. Very Happy Sad
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:50 am

After making sure you can tow safely.. buy a camper bigger than what you think you want at the time of purchase.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Have to know what floor plan they are looking for: like making sure the people have the room to move around, cabinet space, and how many beds.

Where are you going to store the camper when not in use.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Darcamper wrote:

Have to know what floor plan they are looking for: like making sure the people have the room to move around, cabinet space, and how many beds.

And if it's Dave and Darlene, "You should think of how long you want to keep that HTT camper before selling it at a bargain rate to Richard, and moving up to something you would want to full-time in."
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Richard wrote:
Darcamper wrote:

And if it's Dave and Darlene, "You should think of how long you want to keep that HTT camper before selling it at a bargain rate to Richard, and moving up to something you would want to full-time in."
I am thinking that Richard wants to up-grade but he has to find the bargain price. Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm actually seriously considering buying all new lift system parts for the current PUP. About $500 and a bunch of work would put me in good shape.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Richard, when we were having problems with the truck, I was ready to junk it and get a "new to me" one. I just couldn't see putting much more $ into it. Butch's reasoning was - "would you pay $500 (or whatever the cost is) for this truck?" If yes, then let's fix it. So......would you pay $500 for Ms. Danger? If so, go ahead and put that $$ into it. I am sure you will get at least $500 worth of use out of her after the lift system is installed and just think how much easier it will be AND you will feel much, much safer.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Hey what would be the challenge, if Richard got the lift kits he would have nothing to post about Mods LOL . After all the work Tim been trying to get him to buy another LOL
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:43 pm

merrykalia wrote:Richard, when we were having problems with the truck, I was ready to junk it and get a "new to me" one. I just couldn't see putting much more $ into it. Butch's reasoning was - "would you pay $500 (or whatever the cost is) for this truck?" If yes, then let's fix it. So......would you pay $500 for Ms. Danger? If so, go ahead and put that $$ into it. I am sure you will get at least $500 worth of use out of her after the lift system is installed and just think how much easier it will be AND you will feel much, much safer.
Donna, don't be putting figures into Richards head. You just give him more ideals of what to do next.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:45 pm

I am actually thinking that Richard is trying to hold onto the pup, to show his grand kids how we use to camp. Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Yep, yep and yep to Donna, Crawford and Tim.

While my business has been better lately, I'm still in cautious mode. I can go ahead and fix the lift arms and pullies and keep on camping. I can't see financing anything right now. I also can't see paying cash for a camper when I might need it soon to pay the morgage. I would certainly give $500 for Miss Danger with a working lift system. I will have much less chance of getting hurt during the pop-up and pop-down parts of the operation. It's plenty safe once it's up and the braces are clamped in place. I'll always keep using the braces as a Just In Case feature. On the pop-up specific boards that I read, there is a steady stream of people buying old jayco and coachmen/viking PUPs that have all the exact same problems I've had.

The floors get weak in the corners, the pully is no longer braced well, something binds a cable or lift arm, then everything winds up snapped, bent and broken. That replacement parts are so readily available for 1996 and older lift systems is testament to the fact that they frequently need to be overhauled.

Could I have bought a small HTT for what I've poured into the PUP plus what I'm about to put in it, very possibly, but that money's gone. I can't imagine not getting my money's worth out of the PUP just by using it. If the lift system is functioning properly, I will be able to set-up and take down quicker as well.

Besides, I sure couldn't sell it without fixing the lift system. I've got more options on it now than a fully loaded Sedan DeVille. The kids love it, so I might as well keep it. Besides, it's easy to tow to farther away places like Cove Lake.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:09 am

Keeping and fixing the popup sounds like the best thing for you.. And whats best for you.. is all that matters. I had a brand new PUP.. and didn't want to keep it.. go figure.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm

I recall how ready you were to get rid of that PUP Chuck. I'd rather have a small HTT, but smarter economics say stay with Miss Danger. I'd have to put a lift system in to sell it anyway.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Richard wrote:I recall how ready you were to get rid of that PUP Chuck. I'd rather have a small HTT, but smarter economics say stay with Miss Danger. I'd have to put a lift system in to sell it anyway.
I thought you said you would probably give it away. Shocked
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Exactly Tim, I'd have to give it away if I didn't put a lift system in it.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 am

I guess we miss all those mods for sure if you do, Hey maybe give it away and get new person on here and get him going on them his cost LOL
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 am

Crawford wrote:I guess we miss all those mods for sure if you do, Hey maybe give it away and get new person on here and get him going on them his cost LOL

Now that would just be wrong toward someone. Naaa, I'll keep her for awhile.

I'm gonna try to wait Dave and Darlene out. I like their camper.

It's amazing how campers drop in value from new to 10 years old. So many people buy campers, and then don't really use them very much. If one is patient, one can find a deal. I want to get the PUP in good enough shape that I can be really patient. It's when one gets "the fever" for a new camper that they spend too much. I want to be more like the car lots that sell a few campers. Get that deal of a lifetime, or don't take the deal. I'm not going to buy something that takes a special vehicle to tow. As much as Tim keeps trying to get me to jump off the cliff, I'm not buying much of anything beyond necessities right now.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 am

Now, Richard. I am not trying to get you to jump of a cliff. I am just thinking about your health. You get so hot, an tired when popping up. Your girls are getting older and probably want more privacy than having to use your porta potty.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:38 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:Now, Richard. I am not trying to get you to jump of a cliff. I am just thinking about your health. You get so hot, an tired when popping up. Your girls are getting older and probably want more privacy than having to use your porta potty.

All true and valid points, I have to admit that.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Richard wrote:
coolbreeze1 wrote:Now, Richard. I am not trying to get you to jump of a cliff. I am just thinking about your health. You get so hot, an tired when popping up. Your girls are getting older and probably want more privacy than having to use your porta potty.

All true and valid points, I have to admit that.
Wow, I am going to have to print this out. Who would have ever thought that Richard would say that I have a valid point? Twisted Evil
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down