Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WINTERIZE 2010

+2
KralCamper
chuck
6 posters

Go down

WINTERIZE 2010 Empty WINTERIZE 2010

Post  chuck Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:28 am

This information was first posted last year.. but I wanted to put it up again.. just to help. My first time winterizing.. this helped alot. I actually printed it off and took it out to the camper with me. Yes there seems to be a lot of stuff here.. but it really is just detailed (I like that).. the actual process was simple and easy. You will discover that a few of the steps (or items needed) are also optional.

(article courtesy: http://www.koa.com)

Before you get started there are a few items you will need to have. These items can be found in most RV parts stores (or WAL-MART):

•Non-toxic RV antifreeze (The amount depends on the layout and length of your plumbing lines. Two to three gallons will normally do).
•A water heater by-pass kit, if not already installed.
•A wand to clean out holding tanks.
•A water pump converter kit, or tubing to connect to the inlet side of the water pump.
•Basic hand tools to remove drain plugs.
Now we can winterize the RV water system to protect it from freezing. Be sure to read your owners manuals for unit specific winterizing guidelines. Follow the steps below that apply to your RV.

•If you have any inline water filters remove and bypass before starting.
•Drain the fresh water holding tank.
•Drain and flush the gray and black holding tanks. If your RV doesn’t have a built in tank flushing system clean the black tank out with a wand, or use a product like Flush King that allows you to clean both the black and gray tanks. Lubricate the termination valves with WD 40.
•Drain the water heater. Remove the drain plug and open the pressure relief valve. CAUTION (never drain the water heater when it is hot or under pressure)
•Open all hot and cold faucets; don’t forget the toilet valve and outside shower.
•Locate and open the low point drain lines. There will be one for the hot and cold water lines. Using the water pump will help force water out, but turn it off as soon as the system is drained.
•Recap all drains and close all faucets.
•By-pass the water heater. If you do not have a by-pass kit installed the water heater will fill up with antifreeze before it goes through the water lines, wasting six gallons of antifreeze.
•Install a water pump converter kit, or disconnect the inlet side of the water pump (the line coming from the fresh water holding tank). Connect a piece of clear tubing to the inlet side of the pump and put the other end into a one gallon container of non-toxic RV antifreeze.
•Turn the water pump on and pressurize the system. Starting with the closest faucet, slowly open the hot and then cold valves until antifreeze appears. Replace the antifreeze container as required.
•Repeat this process on all faucets from the closest to the farthest away. Don’t forget the outside shower, if equipped.
•Flush the toilet until antifreeze appears.
•Turn the water pump off and open a faucet to release the pressure. Go outside to the city water inlet. Remove the small screen over the inlet and push in on the valve with a small screwdriver until you see antifreeze. Replace the screen.
•Pour a cupful of antifreeze down each drain. Pour a couple of cups in the toilet and flush into the holding tank.
•If your water heater has an electric heating element make sure it is turned off. This will protect the element if the unit is plugged in while being stored.
•Make sure all the faucets are closed.
•Consult your owner manuals for winterizing icemakers and washing machines.
•The unit is winterized.
This checklist is a basic guide that was intended to assist you in winterizing your RV. As with many other checklists it would be impossible to cover every RV. It is extremely important that you read your owner’s manuals for unit specific winterizing guidelines.

chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

WINTERIZE 2010 Empty Re: WINTERIZE 2010

Post  KralCamper Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks Chuck it's a good reminder and good information.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:32 pm

My TT is winterized!!! ready for anything!
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:07 pm

yep I just blow out line and a cup pink stuff down each drain and ready for Thanksgiving and pine mountain rv park. Got camper ready except for food.
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Need to do this, but would like to camp one weekend before closing her up.
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:26 pm

I went ahead and winterized.. but I can always flush out the pink stuff if a camping opportunity comes up. But with work schedules and other things.. Looks like I wont be camping any time soon. I am so dissapointed in the number of trips this year.. hope its better in 2011.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 am

I didn't get my PUP winterized. It got below freezing Friday night. I called my wife and had her plug in the water heater, thinking that it wouldn't freeze if it was warm. Also, with the pup down, it would keep the whole inside a few degrees warmer. The outlet she plugged Miss Danger into was not on, due to a ground fault switch being popped out. I corrected this, and it's still plugged in. I can't wait to see if I have a big mess or not. I won't know till I get home again the week of Thanksgiving. Oh well, I've had floods in there before! That's what the drain in the middle of the floor is for!.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:37 am

Well after this next trip, I plan on winterizing the 5'er. I will blow out my water lines with air, then add the pink stuff.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:26 pm

Hey coolbreeze you are only putting pink stuff down drains right?
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Crawford wrote:Hey coolbreeze you are only putting pink stuff down drains right?
No, I will completely add the pink to the lines after blowing out.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down