Richard's Pop Up Mods

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Richard's Pop Up Mods

Post  Richard on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Got good news today. A couple of weeks ago I was discussing small water heaters with one of the guys at our church. I was commenting that I would like to have a water heater but didn't want one $200 worth. I discussed a big coffee pot. He took me upstairs in the attic and showed me a 2.5 gallon 110 volt 1500 watt water heater (American brand) still in the box. He said it had been up there for years. It was bought to have hot water in the fellowship hall, but the 2.5 gallons wasn't enough, so they got a tankless water heater to put inline. The other one was stored and forgotten. I asked the chairman of the deacons what they would take for it. He told me to give him a day or two to see. He e-mailed me today to say it was mine at no charge. Woo Hoo, now to see if it still works, and if it does, to design my plumbing.

Then it's on to the MOD. I'll never get three trips without either a repair or a mod.

My possible plan is to get a heavy duty extension cord and plug it into the smaller 110 outlet at the campground. I only have 30 amps, and the AC unit uses half of that. Rather than trip breakers a lot, I'll have a seperate source of electric for the heater. If by some odd chance there isn't a standard 15/20 amp plug on the cmapground's electric box, I can always plug it into one of the outlets inside the camper. With a pup it's no big deal to run the cord under the side flap by the bunk end.

For plumbing, I've got a perfectly good bathroom sink faucet that I'll install by moving the "pump/faucet" over. I'll have both. If I dry camp, I can use the pump faucet to get water out of the tank. If I'm hooked to pressurized water, I will use the hot and cold on the bathroom sink faucet next to it. Only problem with a bathroom sink faucet is that it won't swivel out of the way. I may break down and start scrounging around for a discontued discount at Lowes/Home Depot or someplace. Or I might run across a working kitchen faucet after someone's remodeling project. I suspect a bar faucet would be ideal.

Now to figure out how to have one hose hookup on the camper that works with the above layout without having to turn valves and such. So, probably time to take cabinets apart again. I've got one drain hose with a duck-tape patch, so I'll likely replace that at the same time. I wonder if I can find a matching drain hose and supply hose at Lowes/Home Depot or if I'll have to hit camping world?
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Thats good news Richard. I hope that it works for you. If it does, I would make a small donation to the church.

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:46 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:Thats good news Richard. I hope that it works for you. If it does, I would make a small donation to the church.

Well, I donate to the church already, but an extra something in the plate is certainly in order if the water heater still works.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Wouldn't you also have to plumb it so that the pressure relief valve has a way to go?

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:54 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:Wouldn't you also have to plumb it so that the pressure relief valve has a way to go?

I hadn't thought of that, but yes indeed, that will be necessary.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Richard wrote:
coolbreeze1 wrote:Wouldn't you also have to plumb it so that the pressure relief valve has a way to go?

I hadn't thought of that, but yes indeed, that will be necessary.

I saw one at the Home Depot, and noticed that it had a pressure relief valve.

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:03 pm

you must be living right,Richard. Nice find.
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Richard,

Wherever you find to install it, all that needs to be done is to drill a hole in the floor near the HWH. Attach a hose of some kind (clear plastic or maybe a short length of garden hose) to the relief valve and drop the hose through the hole in the floor. You may also want to consider a similar setup if it also has a drain fitting like in TT's. You will have to drain it for winterizing. I'm sure your friends at Lowe's or HD can help with the fittings!

Time to go Camping!
Nights camped in 2013 - Hoping for a lot!
Nights camped in 2012 - 5
Nights camped in 2011 - 33
Nights camped in 2010 - 34
Having adventures and making memories
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:12 pm

Good ideal Dave, I had forgotten about the drain.

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:29 pm

I'll get the water heater tonight, so I'll report on the drain (pressure and regular) tomorrow.

Speaking of winterizing the PUP, I've made it ready for winter camping. I put Refletix in all the windows. Refletix is pretty much bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides. (Lowes Asile 17 with other insulation. Comes in rolls.) Now the furnace and heat strip keep it above 60 even in the bunk ends. The only downside so far is that it makes it dark inside. This will add privacy at night though, and I can always fold the top foot or so down to let in some light.

The kids and I spent about five hours out in it today. Lilia (7) gave me the best game of chess she has mustered so far. I won't be winning for long.

I've still got plans to replace the rubber fasteners under the sides of the bunks with velcro so they seal tighter.

Child labor force

Why they get paid so little

With Refletix in all the windows, plenty warm. Furnace cycles off (yes the thermostat has been relocated)
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

So what your saying is that your help is always laying down on the job No

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:42 pm

I have to give props to you Richard.. for doing so much with your pup... for going out in this COLD.. and for having such cute kids!

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Thats a good looking crew you got there, you must be mighty proud.
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Lilia joined us to play. Jon played the whole time. Caroline actually helped me measure and install the Refletix, so she got a dollar. I drive a hard bargain. Caroline was surprised to get the dollar.

As for going out in the cold to work on the camper, the inside is nice and tosaty. Outside Mods will have to wait a while. I may try some glue-backed velcro, but anything that involves sewing and tacking will have to wait for spring.

I gotta keep the old girl patched up! She's the only thing I've got that's not tastefully decorated, and I'm a country boy!
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Very nice Richard, Very nice. I'll bet the kids just love it! It's good to see The PUP back in action. cheers

By the way, we stapled the velcro to the underside of the bunk ends. I think Dar sewed the other half to the canvas with a sewing machine...

Time to go Camping!
Nights camped in 2013 - Hoping for a lot!
Nights camped in 2012 - 5
Nights camped in 2011 - 33
Nights camped in 2010 - 34
Having adventures and making memories
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Well done Richard, she looks fantastic along with her 2x4's. The kids made the pup the best place ever to play, I can see it in their beautiful eyes.

I went to our Lowes and Home Depot for the Refletix and either store sales it here. neither in West town or East town of Knoxville. So I am in a bind.

Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey Darlene, I'm really surprised that they don't have it. Ours stocks it in three sizes. 18", 24" and 48". I think the 48" was around $40 or so for a 25 ft. roll. I can check the other prices. Sales tax here is 9%. I can pick some up for you and bring it to the RV show if you like. I'm really surprised they don't have it.

Better yet, I'll look up the item number. They'll be able to find it with that.
I've got the receipt right here. It says,

13358 Foil INS.4'X25'ROL REFLEC $42.00

The number on the packaging is BP48025
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Just wait until he teaches them to use power tools. He will get twice the work out of them for little to no money. No No No

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Darcamper wrote:I went to our Lowes and Home Depot for the Refletix and either store sales it here. neither in West town or East town of Knoxville. So I am in a bind.

Darlene.. it's been awhile.. but I bought reflectix at the Home Depot or Lowes (not sure which one) near the WALMART on Clinton Highway. When you go in.. find someone that looks like they know something.. and ask them for "double reflective insulation" or "foil radiant barrier" they may not know it by "Reflectix".. Every HOME DEPOT and LOWES should have this in stock.

I think REFLECTIX might be a brand name.
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Darlene, Our Lowes had the Refletix brand name. It's easy to miss on the Insulation Isle. In ours it's on the right near the end of the isle that's near the center of the store. they don't have tons of it. It's on the bottom (floor) shelf. Their entire stock takes up only about 4 feet of shelf space.

Tim, I'll rent the power tools to them.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:20 pm

I can't believe it, Richard is going to rent out his tool for the cost of child labor Shocked

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:43 pm

It's too cold to fool with plumbing, so I've been pondering and looking at my new water heater. I'm going to have to put this thing in in such a way that it can easily be unhooked and removed. The only drains are located on the top, even the overpressure relief valve is on top. I can't leave water in it in the winter, so I guess I have no choice.

I thought about comming up with a way to force air in to force the water out, but I'm kinda doubtful that that would work. This project will mean having to learn to winterize. I better go re-read those posts.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Richard you would be doing the opposite of everyone else when winterizing. Everyone else by-passes their water heater, while you would be antifreeze into your hot water heater. Idea

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:36 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:Richard you would be doing the opposite of everyone else when winterizing. Everyone else by-passes their water heater, while you would be antifreeze into your hot water heater. Idea

That's what I'm thinking, Tim. And I'm not convinced that antifreeze (pink stuff) is a good idea in the water heater. It weighs 16 Lbs empty, and holds 2.5 gallons of water. I'm thinking it may be easier to just take it out, turn it upside down and dump it. But that job has very little appeal. I can see me putting it off, hoping to get in one more trip, and forgetting. Even worse, I'm working in California when a freal early freeze rolls through. My wife and kids won't be able to disconnect, remove and dump the tank. I wonder if I could syphon the water out? Or, blow it out?
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:58 pm

My one ideal of what to do if an early freeze should happen while your out of town. Have wife to just plug in the water heater to power, it would keep the water from freezing in it.

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top