Alan's Good Deed

Go down

Alan's Good Deed

Post  Richard on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Alan and I were the last two to leave camp on our group outing to Harrison Bay last month. Alan pulled out just before I did.

Alan, being the good guy that he always is tried to do the "pay it forward" thing for the next camper to use his site, whoever it might be. He left them a nice stack of firewood. (Now it may be that Alan just didn't feel like loading it back into the truck, but I'm going to assume it was being nice.) As I was pulling out I was thinking what a nice gesture that was, and how much the next camper would appreciate it. It reminded me that I need to do more of the same kind of thing.

As I passed by the office on the way out I looked over at the camp site once more, only to see the guys that sell firewood stop at Alan's site. They hopped out, loaded the wood Alan left up onto their truck and went on about their rounds selling firewood to the campers. Geezh Louise! Not everyone is a thoughtful good guy like our Abivens.

On behalf of the camper that you tried to do a service for, but that never had a chance to get it, Thanks anyway Alan! I'm still going to learn the lesson and find ways to do something nice for the next guy.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Alan's Good Deed

Post  abivens on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Your too kind Richard. I believe those guys who picked up that wood had probebly been praying for some help with their business (times are tough all over), and maybe this provided them some inventory to keep them afloat. Who knows? All I know is that I have been blessed way more than I deserve, so if I can do a little something for someone else, I jump at the opportunity. Perhaps we, as the Volunteer Campers, can do something for someone a little less fortunate than us this Thanksgiving or Christmas. If anyone has interest, I would be glad to organizesomething: perhaps a Christmas shoebox, or a Thanksgiving dinner basket. Nothing extravagant or expensive, maybe we all just donate a canned food item and I can create a basket. We could give it to someone who may otherwise not have much of a Thanksgiving dinner. I know everyone does lots to help others, especially on the holidays, so maybe its not such a good idea. Just food for thought. Feedback??
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:17 pm

I think that is a super idea! Count me in on helping out/donating.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:47 am

happycamper wrote:
I think that is a super idea! Count me in on helping out/donating.

Me too. I'm in. I'm pretty dense sometimes though, so tell me specificaly what I should do on the "providing Thanksgiving Dinner thing". The most practical solution would likely be to send you some cash to put toward buying food for someone. How much? and what's the mail address?

Maybe you are right about the guys on the truck. I'm betting all that firewood they already had on the truck was lonely, and they just wanted some friends for those local logs. Still, I picked up on what you tried to do, and was inspired by it. I'm not cannonizing you as a saint. I'm just saying that was a nice thing to do. It wouldn't hurt any of us to do random acts of kindness.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:03 pm

We do this locally - we will take a child about the same age as each of our girls and will buy Christmas for them.

When I was assigned to the school, I coordinated this program with the Lions Club, Social Services and several churches. (It was easier then, because it was just me and Butch and we had lots of expendable $$).

We always get the girls involved picking out the toys and clothes (coat, shoes and an outfit) for the little girls, and then the we bring them home and wrap them up.

Our church also does Operation Christmas Child and we all (4) do one shoebox and then the girls' Sunday School class, children's choir and other programs will do another one. Our Wednesday night children's programs are doing a food drive during the month of November so we can get the food stuffs to the food bank before Thanksgiving week.

We are all so blessed and we should all take the time to help out our fellow man (especially the children) that have nothing.

My preaching is over.

Peace and Love, Donna

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:33 pm

I ask the people next to me if they want it if so come and get it. Most of the time they get it if not it's who ever gets it. Very Happy
Crawford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:51 pm

My wife and I talked about this. We are going to do a Christmas dinner basket. This is a basket (box, or some container) that contains canned or dried foods, enough for a Christmas dinner. Usually there are cans of cranberry sauce, potatoes, yams, green beans, etc. We also try to put a canned ham in as a main course. I have seen where people put in dried fruits or can of nuts as well. All this goes in the container with other little items. Diane has materials enough for all the kids to make ornaments that can be placed in the basket. The kids can also make a Christmas card from the Volunteer Campers to the recieving family.
There is a place here in Bradley county that collects these baskets and distributes them to Bradley and surrounding counties. Those who would like can donate a canned or dry packed food item to the basket. Any of the kids that would like can come to our camper that wekend to make an ornament or two. We will have all the supplies.
This is a good way for our club to be involved in a charitable organization. It also allows the individuals to decide if theywant to participate or not.
Whatch guys think?
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Hey Alan, we wont be down there that weekend. Can I mail you some $$'s or send you a gift certificate from a local store you can use? Or, I can try and catch up with Richard down in Johnson City before hand and he can bring stuff along? Thanks for doing this!

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:27 pm

I will PM you my address, but if you see Richard, that will work too. Or you can just tell me what you want to get and I will pick it up and you can get back with me on one of the upcoming camping trips. Thanks
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:41 am

Betty, I can take your stuff. I'll be home the first week in November, and the week of Thanksgiving. Let em know the plan for getting the stuff. Maybe we can get our kids together to play at the same time. Maybe one afternoon at the Warrior's Path playground? I haven't take the kids up there in a couple of months now, so we are due to go. (I'll have to check with my wife on things like Piano, Karate, soccer, etc.) I know that Tuesdays and Thursdays are crazy at our house.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks for letting us all in on this good deed Alan.

Thinking about it, I was possibly too hard on the guys that picked up the wood. I recalled this week a similar time when I passed judgement wrongly on a situation like that. As a teen one of my jobs was bagging groceries. There was this well dressed guy that came into the store every week. He would buy several bags of groceries and pay for them with food stamps. I carried his bags out to his little fancy sportscar every week. He'd tip me a quarter (standard for the times). It used to burn me up that this guy that obviously had money was buying his groceries with food stamps. Well, until I learned that he went around and did the grocery shopping for several shut-ins. Geezh, I felt low. This could possibly be the same sort of thing.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Hey Richard, Warriors sounds great! Just let me know. We are really flexible around here. If not, we can figure out a meeting place in Johnson City.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum