Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Much per night... to stay in your camper?

5 posters

Go down

How Much per night... to stay in your camper? Empty How Much per night... to stay in your camper?

Post  chuck Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:28 pm

I have been thinking.. and sometimes thats dangerous. I have come up with this little formula for determining how much it costs me to stay in my camper one night. I am not talking about food, site rent or anything else.. just how much it costs, as compared to staying in a hotel room,.. etc. I understand there are variables.. and all that. Its just a simple thing.

Figures needed:
How much I paid (or am paying) for my camper.
How many years I think I will have this camper.
How much I can sell (or get on trade) for my camper for when I am ready to quit camping or replace it.
How many nights a year I camp (estimate, average).

Here are my figures:
Cost for camper: $7200
Keep the camper: 5 years (it will be paid off)
How much I think (realistic $ number) I can sell it for (or get in trade) in 5 years: $4000
Average number of nights per year camped: 25 (conservative)

$7200 minus $4000 = $3200 (cost to own)
25 (nights per year) X 5 years = 125
$3200 divided by 125 = $25.60 per night

I tried to be honst and conservitive in my estimates.. So it might actually cost a little less per night. Also.. keep in mind.. if you owe anything on your camper at the time you sell it or trade it,.. that amount will need to be deducted from your "cost to own".
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

How Much per night... to stay in your camper? Empty Re: How Much per night... to stay in your camper?

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:52 pm

The first sentence of Chuck's post is the most accurate Very Happy First off, by not including the other things, like site rental, would actually mean the cost of your trailer just sitting at home. Shocked

Sometimes it is better not knowing & enjoy your get aways. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

How Much per night... to stay in your camper? Empty Re: How Much per night... to stay in your camper?

Post  Richard Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Using Chuck's formula, I'd have to say that Miss Danger would be unsellable, and I'd have to estimate the cost of my mods and repairs to add back in. Still, camping is a bargain for me.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:47 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:First off, by not including the other things, like site rental, would actually mean the cost of your trailer just sitting at home.

that isnt correct.. to find out how much it costs to sit at home.. you would divide the number by 365 days a year. Minus the nights you camped in it.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:38 pm

I would not travel like I do if I did not have the camper. With that I feel with the cost of our camper is around Chuck's estimate. Now this is just an estimate of the camper and not what is spent while camping. Even if you get a hotel room, you still spend for food and other needs.

I feel good about the cost of our camper and fun that comes along with it. It's like home on wheels.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:22 pm

this post.. and my formula.. really isnt meant to make people feel discouraged about camping. I believe that the $$ spent is also for "CAMPING".. the great outdoors.. the campfire.. the adventure, etc etc. I was just thinking about the RVs I see that never move. Maybe they have them out once a year. Imagine spending 20,000 - 40,000 dollars or more and using it 10 nights a year.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Crawford Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:26 pm

I don't think of it that way yes would like to camp more often but other things I use it for guests who show up can stay in it if no room in house this sometime help get them on road sooner then later, When Karen had knee replacements stay in parking lot over night when she was in Hosiptal of course they did agree to let me stay, What happens if you need to evacuate in case of pedding storm or what ever, also my pets are family never have to wonder were to put them because they are also home.So remember it not just a RV it's a second home were ever you are.
Crawford
Crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Crawford, you crack me up with the part about guests not staying as long if they have to sleep in the camper!

Last edited by Richard on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Crawford wrote:I don't think of it that way yes would like to camp more often but other things I use it for guests who show up can stay in it if no room in house this sometime help get them on road sooner then later, When Karen had knee replacements stay in parking lot over night when she was in Hosiptal of course they did agree to let me stay, What happens if you need to evacuate in case of pedding storm or what ever, also my pets are family never have to wonder were to put them because they are also home.So remember it not just a RV it's a second home were ever you are.
In other words, if Crawford gets sent to the doghouse. He has got a nice place to stay Shocked
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down