Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking Roof

+2
chuck
Darcamper
6 posters

Go down

Leaking Roof Empty Leaking Roof

Post  Darcamper Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:58 pm

How often do you check your camper roof for leaks?

I went and checked our camper after the rain Thursday, because I read on another post that the air conditioner can leak around the seal. No soft spots or any black streaks were found.

Pulled out the bunks and everything looked ok, After reading about a camper that had to replace the roof on their camper which cost $5000, got me to looking closer at ours.

Scary

Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Leaking Roof Empty Re: Leaking Roof

Post  chuck Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:13 pm

I actually bought some sealent (both kinds).. and have been meaning to get up on a ladder and take a look around. I know some people will re-seal at least once a year. I have a friend who does it every 2 years.

I do periodically look up in the cabinets,... etc.. for any wet spots.. so far.. always dry!
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 pm

I usually just check all area's in the camper for signs of a leak. I have gotten on the roof a few times to look at the caulking, it still looked fine.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 pm

For me... i check real close when i am up on the roof cleaning it in the spring. Then a few times a year i check the condition of the caulk. I then to get up on the roof about every other time i camp. I know i may do things a little much but for me a little time here and there is cheap insurance compared to having to replace things. Plus a tube of self leveling caulk is not that expensive. I think its about 6-8.00 a tube. If it makes a difference i tend to raise the height of the front end when I park for storage so most of any rain will run off the back end. I figure level is fine but anything to help get the water off the roof is probably a good thing.
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:18 am

The leaks reveal themselves most every trip. I'm hoping I have them all at this point.

I buy lots of seam sealer. My hard top hasn't leaked, but the canvas is another story. The threads that hold the vinyl together seem to fail at the stress points (corners) where the bunks pull out.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Just got back from Jellystone where it rained one day (and all the night). No leaks but the travel trailer beside us said they hade bowls set out everywhere. I think their problem was mainly with the slideout. I installed a slideout awning on mine so I think that has helped keep rain pressure off the seal around the slide.
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:17 am

That could be one reason. I believe that a lot of leaks occur around the a/c unit and the skylights.
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down