Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pie Iron Cooking

+4
Richard
mccains
fisherpal2k
chuck
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pie Iron Cooking Empty Pie Iron Cooking

Post  chuck Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:59 am

I finally used my camp fire pie iron last week. Works great.. very tasty eating too. I am looking forward to trying other ingredients soon.

This time.. I sprayed each half of the iron with PAM.. then placed a flour tortilla in one half of the iron.. added white meat chicken.. chopped green peppers, chopped onions and mozarella cheese. Topped with another flour tortilla.. and closed the iron. A couple of minutes in the campfire.. and you have a tasty, toasted chicken sandwich. Eat it with a fork.. or with your fingers! Next time I might add some kind of white creamy sauce to the mix... or have some ranch dressing or sour cream for dipping.

I bought the small tortillas.. and used two for each sandwich. I think next time I will buy larger tortillas.. and just fold them over.. using only one per sandwich.

As for different ingredients.. I am thinking about using pre-cooked hamburger meat, onions, peppers, cheddar cheese and some spicy tomato sauce. Sort of like a chili pie!
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Pie Iron Cooking Empty Re: Pie Iron Cooking

Post  fisherpal2k Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:20 am

Sounds like a great samich to me! Thanks for the ideas.
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:06 pm

another thought on the "Chili Pie" samich.. instead of using the crumbled (pre-cooked) hamburger and some kinda sauce.. I think I will pre-prepare the "SPICY" MANWICH.. and keep it in the fridge.. Then spoon a few scoops of the MANWICH into the tortilla shell.. add peppers, onions, cheese.. and maybe a few corn chips.. close up the pie iron and into the fire!
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mccains Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

We usually make pizza with them. We take and spray them with PAM and then add bread, pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. I have also put in apple, cherry and blueberry pie fillings inside the bread (great fried pie)

mccains

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:58 pm

I have wanted to buy a couple of pie irons for awhile now and definitely plan to do that asap. Those are great ideas on what to make!

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 pm

I've got my pie iron and my big tortillia Chuck, you'll have to show me the ropes at Smokey Bear.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Richard.. maybe we can do some PIE IRON campfire cooking on Saturday night..
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm in!
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm in too!! We have two and I've only done a few things in them. I may heat up the dutch oven and fix something in it, too.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 pm

So now it's Chef Chuck, king of the pie iron Shocked
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 pm

"merrykalia" said: I'm in too!! We have two and I've only done a few things in them. I may heat up the dutch oven and fix something in it, too.------------------

I've never had anything out of a Dutch Oven that wasn't yummy and more yummy. We used to make a peach cobbler with cake mix and canned peaches back in my Boy Scout days. That was a popular dutch oven dish.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Chuck, I seem to remember that we had planned to do Pie Iron night once before but we got rained out. I bet we have quite a few that have pie irons. Who all is in?
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:43 pm

for those who might want to get in on the "Pie Iron" night at SMOKY BEAR.. but ya don't have one. WAL-MART sells them for about $10 (maybe less).
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:16 pm

We're in too! Try bread applesauce, cinnamon and some brown or regular sugar. Nice dessert.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:18 pm

We also do cinnamon "rolls" on a broom handle over the fire - might have to remember to bring our handle with us. I'm not sure where it is - haven't seen it in a while.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 am

This is a re-run post from the etncc board, but it fits. I had forgotten about it.

I got this from Ron in Emmett, Idaho. I can't wait to try it out.

Ron Writes:
CAMPFIRE PIZZAS: These are a great meal not only because they are delicious, but they also bring the family around the campfire. By preparing the sausage ahead it is a very easy meal for the cook. Use paper plates and most of the cleanup is done by burning on the fire.

bread
soft margarine
pizza sauce
mozzarella cheese (we get the bags of pre-shredded cheese)
whatever you like on pizzas (we use pepperoni and pre-browned Italian sausage)

Butter one side of two pieces of bread. On the dry side of one piece of bread spread on the pizza sauce. Spread it evenly. Add your toppings, pepperoni, Italian sausage, etc.

Add the shredded mozzarella cheese and topoff with the second piece of buttered bread with the butter to the outside of the sandwich. For the first sandwich of the meal, spray the inside of the iron with Pam. Clamp the sandwich in the iron. Usually part of the bread is pinched on the outside. Place the iron in your campfire over some hot coals. Check it often by opening the iron and peaking at the sandwich. (They are easy to burn) Turn it over when the first side is almost done as it will continue to cook. When the bread is browned on each side pop the pizza sandwich out and let it cool a little. Be careful; they are usually very hot! ENJOY!

Italian Sausage:

1 pound of mild pork sausage
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. dry parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. fennel seed

In a fry pan combine the pork sausage with the seasonings and cook until brown, stiffing often and breaking up sausage. Drain well on paper toweling. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Thanks for sharing Ron.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:50 am

For the PIE IRON campfire cooking on Saturday at SMOKY BEAR.. I'll bring these ingredients for making a chili pie:

Pre cooked MANWICH (Bold and Spicy)
Chopped green peppers
Chopped onion
Cheddar cheese
soft tortillas
sour cream for topping after baking

Should have plenty for anyone who wants to try one.. it doesn't take very much Manwich to fill the little pie iron.. especially when adding other things.
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Can I get one of these pie irons at Wal Mart or somewhere like that?
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Yes Alan, we see them there all of the time. You could probably go online to walmart.com to check them out I think.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:13 pm

they have them at my local WAL-MART.. in the camping supplies aisle.. Looked at them this week.. I think they were $9.88
chuck
chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:09 am

This is going to be a yummy trip! I may need to get a second pie iron. I gotta remember to get some PAM. The one I got at wal-mart is supposedly non-stick, but a bit of PAM couldn't hurt.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue May 18, 2010 4:43 pm

I just posted a bunch of pie iron recipes in the post about the river plantation trip. They should have been posted here. Oops.

Anyway, I plan to experiment with my electric sandwich maker between now and the river plantation trip by cooking some of those recipes that are posted in the other thread. if I hit any sure-fire winners I'll let you know.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia Tue May 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Try using a tortilla, sprinkle it with a small amount of sugar and cinnamon, put a piece of Hershey's chocolate bar in it (small piece) and a marshmallow, fold the tortilla over and them smash it down - sandwich type of Smores.

My kids love them - I will make them occasionally during the winter on my sandwich maker.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Who would have thought it. There is a www.pieiron.com. Here's what they have:

RECIPES
The great thing about pie iron cooking is that it's easy for anyone to get involved which makes it all the more inclusive and fun when cooking in a group or with the family. Although the learning curve is slight for basic sandwiches and pies, the complexity can be taken up a notch or two for those so inspired.

Every pie iron from Rome Industries ships with tips, ideas and recipes to get you started.

if you want to dig deeper into Pie Iron cooking, be sure to check out the two cookbooks that we publish.

Basic Instructions
1. Place slice of bread, butter side down, on lower half of cooker. Spoon fruit, meat, or other filling on center of bread (see recipes).
2. Place second slice of bread, butter side up, on top of fillings. Latch hand; trim off excess bread if necessary.

3. Toast over campfire, fireplace or bbq until golden brown on both sides. A delicious snack in 4 to 6 minutes.

Aluma Fruit Pie
Use any canned pie filling; apple, cherry, and peach are delicious. Place filling between your choice of bread as per our basic direction. Grill until golden brown. Sprinkle with sugar and serve.

Don's Square Pie Sauerkraut
This is a favorite recipe of our Cleveland based sales rep Don Schuller.

2 slices white bread
Leftover mashed potaoes (tip - when making potatoes substitute mayo for milk)
Sauerkraut
Shredded cheddar
optional ingredients - Leftover spareribs, deboned & chopped into 1" strips.

Place slice of bread, buttered side down, into cooker. Fill with ingredients, cover with remaining slice of bread buttered side up. Close cooker, latch handles and grill until toasted.

Cornbread
Prepare cornbread mix according to direction on package. Into a well greased cooker, fill cavity about one third with mix. Close, latch handles and bake over very low heat until done.

Rocky Road Treat
Spread peanut butter on 2 slices of bread. Add one large marshmallow and one chocolate bar square between buttered bread slices/ Toast in cooker until bread is golden brown.

Fried Potatoes
Place sliced potatoes in cooker, add butter, salt and pepper (to taste) and close. Grill on both sides over low heat.

Tuna Melts
Mix canned tuna fish, chopped pickle and mayonnaise. Place on slice of bread, buttered side down, and add slice of Havarti cheese and a slice of tomato. Cover with remaining side of buttered bread and grill until hot and toasty.

Beef Pie
Place one piece of pie dough loosely in cooker cavity, buttered side down. Add cubed, cooked beef, cooked potato slices, onions and pepper. Cover with remaining piece of pie crust, buttered side up. Close grill and latch handles. Bake for approximately 5 minutes.

Pizza Pie
Place slice of pizza crust in cooker cavity, add tomato puree, green peppers, slivered garlic, oregano, mozzarella cheese and top with pepperoni. Cover with second slice of pizza crust. Grill 3 or 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness is reached. English muffins or sliced bread or pita can be used in place of pizza crust.

Garlic Buns
Spread inside of burger buns with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt and paprika. Turn each bun inside out and place into cooker cavity. Grill until golden brown.

Hot Ham and Cheese
Place slice of bread, buttered side down, into cooker. Place slice of ham and slice of cheese on bread. Add Dijon mustard and cover with remaining slice of bread, buttered side up. Close cooker, latch handles and grill to golden brown.

Sloppy Joes
Use canned, pre-cooked sloppy joe mix or make your own mix with hamburger, barbecue sauce and onion. (Meat must be precooked.) Place mix between buttered bread and cook over low heat until hot and toasty.

Bacon and Tomato Special
Fill whole wheat bread with sliced tomatoes, crisp bacon, lettuce and mayonnaise. Toast sandwich for 3 to 4 minutes in pie iron.

Eggs
Open cooker and use as two skillets, place one egg in each side of cooker. Use cooker in closed position for scrambled eggs; add onion, cheese, pepper, and mushrooms for omelettes.

French Toast
Dip 2 bread slices into egg batter, place both slices into cooker, placing strawberry jam between bread slices. Toast until browned.

Grilled Onions
Place thinly sliced sweet Spanish onions (or Vidalia onions) into cooker cavity. Add a little celery, salt, parsley and a splash of beer. Close cooker and grill until onions are soft..

Entry #1 Reuben Sandwiches

September 30, 2003
Grease warm pie iron with margarine. Lay bread (rye tastes best) on either side of the iron. Use deli sliced corn beef and top with a spoonful of sauerkraut and a slice of swiss cheese. Place in fire, turning occasionally until bread is browned. Delicious!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entry #2 Mountain Chicken BBQ Pie
January 6, 2004
By, "Chuck Clarke"
Sliced Chicken Breast
Sliced Canadian Bacon
Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
Butter
Sliced Italian Bread
Butter 2 slices of bread, and place in iron. Then place the Chicken,BBQ Sauce, Canadian Bacon, and Shredded Cheese, (in that order)on the bread, and close the iron. Place iron on coals, turning every couple of minutes, check occasionally so you do not burn the pie. Then enjoy.
WINNER!!!
Congratulations!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entry #3 Sweet Reuben
January 8, 2004
By, "Jacqueline Green"
Butter 2 slices rye bread, place butter side out in pie iron. Place 1/2 slice Swiss cheese on each slice, add 1-2 oz corned beef and 1-2 Tbls cole slaw. Close and cook until golden brown.

Entry #4 Pizza Pies
January 25, 2004
2 slices bread, buttered one side (or sprayed with cooking spray)
pizza sauce
motzarella cheese
pepperoni
mushroons
any other pizza toppings you like!
Place buttered side bread to outside of pie maker & fill with your favorite pizza toppings.

Entry #5 Campfire Ravioli & Garlic Toast
Apr 8, 2004
Janet Brentzel
1 can ravioli
2 slices frozen garlic texas toast with cheese
butter
Butter outsides of thawed texas toast and put in pie iron. Place 3 or so ravioli's and sauce on inside of one piece. Close iron and let cook on coals for 1-2 minutes and flip. Cook 1 -2 more minutes. Enjoy!!

Entry #6 Low Fat Camp Stew
Apr 30, 2004
Catherine Beydler
1 lb. turkey burger, carrots, sliced potatoes, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, peas, salt and pepper to taste. Brown burger and onions, then add all of the vegetables and simmer until everything is cooked tender.
(Can add any vegetables you like)

Entry #7 Best Grilled Cheese
12 May 2004
Damian Dorsey
Lay two slices of bread in iron, add your favorite cheese and if you like slice of tomato. Close iron turn, frequently until lightly brown.

Entry #8 pudgypie tacos
23 Jun 2004
Bernie Miller
Spray insides of pudgy pie cooker with cooking spray. Take two tortillas and cut off one edge to create a flat side. Put one tortilla in pie maker with flat edge where pie maker is joined. (hinged side) add taco meat, cheese, taco sauce, onions and tomatoes if desired. Top with second tortilla. Cook over fire. When its done, top with sour cream and/or salsa.

Entry #9 Banana Yellow Curry
24 Jun 2004
AN.Ganeshamurthy
Take 500 g raw banana. Peal its skin and cut it into cubes. Soak 100 g chickpea split seeds in water for 4 hours. Grind chickpea seeds with 3 medium size green chilli, 10 g cumin seeds, 1/2 coconut kernal, 25 g green coriander leaf to a paste. Boil banana slice and add the ground paste. Add 250 ml curds and water to get desired consistence. Add salt and little asafotida powder for fragrance. serve with bread or rice.
**Even though this is not a pie iron recipe - it sounds interesting.

Entry #10 Pizza Hobo Pie
11 Jul 2004
Destinie Setera
Butter hobo pie iron, both sides. Use 2 pieces white bread, put pizza sauce on each slice of bread, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, add pepperoni to taste. Close pie iron & cook over fire until lightly browned.

Entry #11 Pizza Hobo Pie
16 Jul 2004
Carol Hopkins
Spread two pieces of bread with butter. Lay one slice of bread with buttered side down, on pie iron. Put about 1/4 cup of pizza sauce, 1/3 cup of mozzerella cheese, and 4 slices of pepperoni top of bread in iron. Top with remaining slice of bread with the buttered side on top. Place top of pie iron down over "pizza" pie. Put directly in camp fire and bake until browned.

Entry #12 Pie Iron Pizza
17 March 2005
Sheena Coyne
We always cook sausage patties for breakfast and always have leftovers. At the end of the evening while we're all sitting around the fire we get out the leftovers and the pie irons. We butter the bread and put the first piece in the pie iron, then we add a teaspoon of pizza sauce and spread it around the bread. Then we sprinkle on some shredded cheese and crumble on some of the leftover sausage. I also like to add chopped onions on mine. Then put the other piece of bread on with butterside up. Close your pie iron and stick it in the fire, 5 minutes on each side. Check the bread for brownness.

Entry #13 Pocket Pastie
1 April 2005
Kay Pratt
4 pop and fresh biscuits dough balls
1/4 cup mixed canned veggies
1/4 cup pre-cooked and seasoned ground beef
Tillimook cheese to taste
Oen pie maker and lightly butter each side, press two P&F dough balls into each side. Fill one side with meat, veggies and cheese clamp shut. Cook until golden brown. YUMMMM!

Entry #14 Hobo Pizza
05 May 2005
Alicia Sipe
1 Tube of refrigerated pizza crust. (the same kind of tube that the biscuits come in)
Jar of favorite Pizza sauce
Pizza Cheese
favorite toppings (pepperoni, green pepper, onion, pre-cooked sausage etc..)

Pre heat hobo pie iron in coals until just hot.Generously spray inside pie iron with Cooking Spray (Pam makes one that's used for grilling that works great) Put a square of Pizza crust on each side.
Spoon on a little pizza sauce and top with cheese and favorite toppings.
Close up pie iron and return to fire for a couple of minutes. Keep checking and turning until pizza crust is light golden brown. Let cool a bit and enjoy! Camping tip: I pre cut onions & peppers and put in ziploc baggies before we leave.

Entry #15 Chicken and Cheese Quesadilla
13 May 2005
Pam Fischer
10" Flour Tortilla's
Shredded Taco Cheese
Tyson Grilled Chicken Strips (Bags found in Freezer section of grocery stores)
Taco Seasoning
Sour Cream
Salsa

Spray both sides of Irons well, with non stick cooking oil. Lay Tortilla in middle of one Pie Iron. Fill with 3 to 4 strips of cooked and thawed chicken, sprinkle 1/8 c of cheese and taco seasoning to taste. Fold the Tortilla in on all sides, close Pie Iron and cook until Tortilla is golden brown on both sides. Serve cut in half with sour cream and salsa.

Entry #16 Easy-Peasy Pockets
27 May 2005
Gwendolyn West
Recipe:
Butter both sides of the pie iron and put a slice of bread on each side. Fill center of one slice of bread with canned beef stew or canned chili. (We use leftover chili or stew that has been frozen. It's thawed by the time we're ready for dinner, and the frozen food helps keep the cooler cold). Add some shredded cheese for an added treat. Fold and fire as usual. Hot, bubbly and delicious every time.
Entry #17 Pizza Mountain Magic
31 May 2005
Judy Henderson
Butter both sides of bread and place in pie iron. place small amount of pizza sauce on bread. Follow up with mozzeralla cheese and your prefered pizza topping (ie. mushrooms, pepperoni, olives, etc.) Heat over hot coals until bread is toasted.
Entry #18 Irenes Hobo Pie
01 Jun 2005
Roy Morris
Pull off bout a 12 square of tin foil. Pull up the sides a bit. Put in one potato diced, one carrot diced, one small onion diced, one quarter pound of burger, the fattier the better, drop in bout 4 pats of butter, add two cloves diced garlic, a smidgin on salt and pepper. Close the tin foil over all and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes in a preheated oven. Bon Appetite....
Entry #19 Pizza Pudgie Pie
07 Jun 2005
Gretchen Duquaine
Before your camping trip brown 1-2 pounds (or as much as desired) of hamburger. Once meat is browned add in 1 can of pizza sauce. Store until needed in tupperware. Spread two pieces of bread with butter on both sides. Lay one piece of bread on pie iron. Place one to three teaspoons of pizza mixture on bread, sprinkle mozerella cheese as much as desired and place remaining slice of bread on top. Close your iron. Place in camp fire and bake until browned.
(If other ingredients are desired, add to mixture)

Entry #20 Hobo pizza
09 Jun 2005
Debbie
Take two pieces of bread and butter the bottoms. Fill with cheese, pepperoni, sausage green pepper, onion, black olives & mushrooms. Close lid and toast over fire for around 10 minutes or until brown, flipping the pie maker over every couple minutes..

.Here's more. The internet is loaded with sandwich maker and pie iron recipes. I'm getting hungry!

RE: Recipes for a Sandwich Maker
By quickcooker (51) Profile Contact

Hope you enjoy these.

The sandwich maker is Great for eggs...you can just cook them like you would a fried egg (without all the grease) or you can mix up like scrambled eggs or with omelet fixin's.

Biscuit Sandwiches

You can put a small biscuit or half of a larger one in the bottom of
one side and flatten it out and put all kinds of toppings on it--mini
pizzas with pizza sauce and cheese and whatever other toppings you
like--sugar and cinnamon--pie filling--

Muffin mixes - They can be used (try plain corn muffin mix with hot dogs-whole or sliced= for a version of corndogs-or pancake batter with breakfast sausages).

Bisquik Batter or pancake mix or muffin mix works too-and you can add
other things with it if you want to make it more of a meal or a dessert
or a snack.

Put a little egg-beater in with maybe some salsa on top. Also use a little baking mix enough for just a couple of biscuits and put them in the snack maker. Have also done it. With the egg on one side and biscuit on the other at the same time.
Fluffer Nutter

Peanut butter
Marshmallow cream
Bread
Butter

Butter the outsides of the 4 slices of bread. Spread peanut butter on the inside side of two slices of bread. Spread the other two slices with marshmallow cream. Place the peanut butter and the marshmallow cream sides together, place the buttered sides down on the sandwich maker. Close lid and cook till toasted. This will make the sandwich maker a little messy, but oh so worth it as it is so tasty. Be careful as the peanut butter and fluff get very hot. May burn your mouth unless it cools.
Fruit Pies

Strawberry, blueberry, cherry or apple pie filling
Bread
Butter
Butter the outside of 4 slices of bread. Place 2 slices of bread, buttered side down on the sandwich maker, then place pie filling on bread, and top with 2 other slices of buttered bread on top of the pie filling. Close pie maker and cook till golden brown. (to make these special, add a small amount of cream cheese on the pie filling)

Fruit pie Topping Drizzle

Powdered sugar (Mix powdered sugar and a little milk to make a drizzle topping for fruit pies. Drizzle over
A little milk hot fruit pie. Enjoy with a glass of cold milk.)

Pancakes
 pancake batter, prepared
 syrup
 powdered sugar (optional)
 margarine
Place a small amount of margarine in each of the sandwich maker wells. Preheat about 5 minutes. Fill the wells with pancake batter. Serve hot with powdered sugar and syrup.
Crispy Burritos
Ingredients:
 2- 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
 shredded, cooked beef or pork, seasoned with taco seasoning (optional)
 heated refried beans
 salsa
 shredded cheese
 sour cream, (optional)
Spray machine with cooking spray. Preheat about 5 minutes. Place one tortilla in the sandwich maker, top with about 1 tablespoon each of meat, beans, salsa, cheese, and sour cream. Top with remaining tortilla. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes.

Cheesy Taco Appetizers For Sandwich Maker

1 lb Cooked ground beef  drained, and - crumbled
1 package Taco seasoning
1/2 cup sour cream
Grated cheddar cheese

Wrappers- tortillas; white bread; pizza dough. (If using tortillas, add
extra filling.)

Cook meat using the taco seasoning and water according to package directions.
Simmer until any excess liquid evaporates. Combine mixture with remaining ingredients
And fill each wrapper with 3-4T of the mix. Brush outside of wrapper with
seasoned olive oil. COOK!

Carrot Cake For Sandwich Maker

1/2 c Grated carrot
1/4 c Vegetable oil
1 Egg
1/2 c Sugar
1/2 t Cinnamon
1/3 t Baking soda
1/2 c Self-rising flour
1/4 c Oats -- regular or quick
2 tb Chopped walnuts-optional

Excellent when one has a cake craving....but don't want the hassle or
the temptation of a BIG cake!! Beat together carrot, oil, and egg. Add
sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, flour, and oats; mix well. Add walnuts. Spoon batter onto grids until full but not overflowing. Bake for approximately 5-7 minutes, checking often for doneness.

Cheesy Taco Appetizers

1 lb Cooked ground beef -- drained - and -- crumbled
1 pk Taco seasoning
1/2 c sour cream
grated - cheddar cheese

Wrappers- tortillas; white bread; pizza dough. If using tortillas,
add extra filling.

Cook meat using the taco seasoning and water [# on package] according
to package directions. Simmer until any excess liquid evaporates.
Combine mixture with remaining ingredients and fill each wrapper with 3-4T of the mix. Brush outside of wrapper with seasoned olive oil. COOK!

Chicken "Pot Pie" Sandwiches

2 cans chicken broth
2 T corn starch
2 C chicken -- diced, cooked
1 can peas
1 can sliced carrots -- chopped
1 small onion -- chopped

Wrapper: Bread
Pour the broths into a heavy pan and bring to boil. Lower heat.
Remove one cup broth and mix with the cornstarch. Pour mixture into broth and simmer until thick. Place chicken, carrots, onions and peas into broth and cook until chicken is heated through. Place about 1-2T spoons into bread and put into sandwich maker.

Brownies

Make your favorite mix or homemade recipe and place in sandwich maker for a quick treat.

Corn Dog Recipe

Jiffy Corn bread mix (8 ounce)
Cut up hot dog coin pieces

Make up mix according to box. Put a couple tablespoon of mix in the sandwich maker. Drop in few hot dog coins, top with some more cornbread mix. Cook till brown.

Curried Salmon Snack

1- 8 oz can salmon (or 1 - 6 oz tuna) --drained and flaked
1 teaspoon curry powdered
1 small onion --finely chopped
4 ounces chopped celery
1 oz grated cheese
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
12 slices bread-- buttered

Combine salmon, curry, onion, celery and cheese. Melt butter, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continually. Gradually stir in milk and cook until sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Place two slices of bread into preheated toaster ( sandwich maker) buttered side down. Place one sixth mixture onto each bread slice. Top with two slices of bread, buttered side uppermost. Lower lid and cook for two minutes. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients.

My Notes: I usually use more cheese, you may want to de-bone the salmon, or else crush them up.

Pizza Fillings

Butter one side of a slice of bread. Spread the unbuttered side with
1 tsp pizza sauce. If desired, sprinkle with a little Italian seasoning. Add your favorite pizza fillings, put on top slice, buttered side up, and toast as usual. Use your imagination... Use some deli ham, a bit of chopped onion, and a little bit of chopped up canned pineapple. Use deli salami, a couple onion rings and a slice of cheddar cheese, epperoni, sausage, mozzarella, or your favorite things.
Note: Cook onions, green or red peppers and mushrooms in a
little butter or margarine before using in a filling. Serve with a
crisp salad!!

Pumpkin Cheese Nut Cake

1 1/4 teaspoons Pumpkin puree or canned
1 1/4 tablespoons softened cream cheese
1 1/4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 dash pumpkin pie spice
1 1/4 teaspoons chopped nuts

Wrapper- puff pastry; any bread with nuts or raisins; pumpkin bread.
Puff will require more filling. Mix ingredients together until well
blended and fill wrapper. Cook!!

Apple Pie:

Wrapper-pie crust, puff pastry, raisin or nut bread--need more filling in
pie crust or puff pastry

1-1 1/2 Tbs. cream
1 1/2 -2 tsp. flour
dash cinnamon
1-1 1/2 tsp. sugar
pinch salt
thin apple slices, about 1/4 apple

Mix first 5 ingredients, and pour over apples. Cook until done.
Can use mangoes, peaches or papaya in place of the apples.

Pineapple Chicken for Sandwich Maker

2 sliced Cooked chicken or Turkey--or-- 2 - 3 T diced
1 - 1 1/2 T crushed pineapple --well drained
3/4 teaspoon Soy sauce
1 1/8 t ground ginger

Wrapper: white or whole wheat bread; pizza dough

Layer chicken on wrapper and cover with crushed pineapple. Mix soy sauce and ginger and pour over layered ingredients. COOK!!

Cake Treats

1 frozen loaf style pound cake, 16 ounces
1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
2 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Prepare Sandwich Maker by brushing cooking surface with vegetable oil. Close and preheat (about 4 minutes).
Cut frozen pound cake in half crosswise. Return 1 half to freezer for future use. Cut remaining half lengthwise into 4 equal slices. Arrange slices on board with upper and lower crusts facing up. Combine cream
cheese and confectioners' sugar. Divide cream cheese mixture in half. Spread the upper crust cake side with half the cream cheese mixture. Repeat with bottom crust cake side. Cover cream cheese layer with remaining cake slices. Transfer to sandwich maker and cook for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes: 4 cake treats.

Cake Pockets/in Sandwich Maker

4 slices Angel food cake; 1" thick
Margarine or butter, softened
Fillings-
2 Tbs. Cherry preserves -or- 2 Tbs. Peach preserves; -or- 1/4 cup Coconut mixed with 1 Tbs. Margarine -or- 16 Miniature marshmallows
16 Chocolate chips; -or- 1 large Marshmallow with 1 tsp. Sugar and 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon

Heat sandwich maker as directed. Brush margarine on top and bottom cooking surfaces of sandwich maker. Assemble cake sandwiches. For the chocolate chips and marshmallows, spread margarine on cake, then sprinkle with marshmallows and chocolate chips.
For the large marshmallow with sugar and cinnamon, cut large marshmallow in half; dip into melted margarine.
Place 1 half on each of two slices cake. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Top with remaining cake. Place cake sandwiches side by side on bottom cooking surface. Close lid; latch. Cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.

Cinnamon Apple Treasures

4 slices cinnamon swirl bread slices
Butter, softened
2 heaping Tbs. apple pie filling, divided
Cinnamon
sugar

Prepare Sandwich Maker, by brushing cooking surfaces with vegetable oil. Close and preheat (about 4 minutes).
Spread 1 side of each bread slice with a thin layer of butter.
Coarsely chop apple slices in pie filling. Add 1 heaping Tablespoon filling to center of unbuttered side of 2 bread slices. Sprinkle apple pie filling with cinnamon. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up. Sprinkle top of each sandwich with sugar. Transfer sandwiches to sandwich maker. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
Allow to cool slightly before eating.
Makes: 2 sandwiches.

Grilled Banana SMores Sandwich

2 slices bread, your choice
Butter
½ half banana, sliced in coins
Marshmallow cream
1-3 ounce chocolate bar
Powdered sugar

Butter the bread as for grilled cheese sandwich. Turn on burner and place a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Place chocolate on the opposite side of the buttered side of bread. Place sliced banana on chocolate and spread marshmallow cream on other slice of bread. Place sandwich in skillet chocolate side down.

Cover skillet and grill like a grilled cheese till lightly toasted on both sides of sandwich and chocolate and marshmallow cream is melted. Turn carefully so the sandwich stays together.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

Sausage-Cheese Pancake Sandwiches

Breakfast on the run? Stack and wrap pancake sandwiches for a
satisfying morning start.

Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:20 min
Makes:4 sandwiches

1 cup Original Bisquick®️ mix
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
2 tablespoons maple-flavored syrup
4 fully cooked pork sausage patties
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
4 slices (2/3 oz each) process American cheese

1. Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F. Grease
griddle with vegetable oil if necessary (or spray with cooking spray
before heating).
2. In small bowl, stir Bisquick mix, 1/2 cup milk, 1 of the eggs and
the syrup with spoon until blended. For each pancake, pour 2
tablespoons batter onto hot griddle (make 8 pancakes total). Cook
until edges are dry. Turn; cook other sides until golden.
3. Meanwhile, heat sausage patties as directed on package. In small
bowl, beat remaining 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon milk. In 8-inch nonstick
skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, stirring
occasionally, until set.
4. For each sandwich, place 1 sausage patty on 1 pancake; top with
one-fourth of the eggs, 1 slice cheese and another pancake.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.

Posted on 02/19/2009 |
RE: Recipes for a Sandwich Maker
By Linda (Guest Post)
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu May 20, 2010 8:27 am

It would seem that everytime pie-iron cooking is mentioned for one of our trips, it rains. Mad Mad Mad
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next