Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake Controller

3 posters

Go down

Brake Controller Empty Brake Controller

Post  craigw Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:30 pm

I know that there are about a trillion different models and types out there for brake controllers. I just upgraded mine and I opted for a hydraulic function over an electronic. This setup for those that have never tried it is a must. Simply it ROCKS!! The electronic simply sends a signal to the trailer that the TV has applied brakes. The number or level control on the controller is what controls the amount of pressure is applied to the brakes of the trailer. As most of us know this is a science in itself to get this ratio correct so that you're not pulling the Trailer or being pushed by it. Now enter the Hydraulic arena. As you hit the brakes on your TV you adjust the amount of pressure with your foot. Well , the trailer feels the same pressure and applies its brakes accordingly. A hydraulic brake controller is connected to your brake line of the TV so it knows how much foot pressure you are applying. This is one of most pleasant systems i've encountered when it comes to braking on a trailer. There only a few models out at the moment. The one I purchased was made by Maxbrake (http://www.maxbrake.com/index.php) . At first I was a little concerned about connecting to the brake line. But it was very easy and the wiring could not have been easier. It took me longer to mount the bracket than anything. Oh, also it monitors you're braking system on the trailer and lets you know if there is a problem. How great is that.

cheers cheers
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Brake Controller Empty Re: Brake Controller

Post  coolbreeze1 Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Very nice looking set-up. Where did you order it from and what is the cost?

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:07 pm

from the manufactures website they have several recommended online places to purchase from. I ended getting mine from Plugitright. It ended up being about $350.
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:17 pm

craigw wrote:from the manufactures website they have several recommended online places to purchase from. I ended getting mine from Plugitright. It ended up being about $350.
Hope to get to check it out when you come to Smoky Bear. Would be interested in one myself, but until I get back to work, that will have to wait. $350.00 would be a trailer payment for me, and I'm not going to lose my trailer if I can help it. No

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:
craigw wrote:from the manufactures website they have several recommended online places to purchase from. I ended getting mine from Plugitright. It ended up being about $350.
Hope to get to check it out when you come to Smoky Bear. Would be interested in one myself, but until I get back to work, that will have to wait. $350.00 would be a trailer payment for me, and I'm not going to lose my trailer if I can help it. No

I understand. NP. For me it was time since my current one was coming up on 11 years old. I definitely got my moneys worth out of that one and expect to get that out of this one too. This one will probably outlast the truck. No worries, ill put in in my next D-Max.
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 am

Craig, the hydrolic sure makes a lot more sense, especially for larger rigs like yours and Tim's 5ers. Glad to hear that it was an easy install as well.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 pm

It seems to be a better system than what most of us have. Shocked

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Richard wrote:Craig, the hydrolic sure makes a lot more sense, especially for larger rigs like yours and Tim's 5ers. Glad to hear that it was an easy install as well.

Yes , it does seem a much better setup and very glad I made the purchase.
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Have you pulled your 5'er with the new brake controller yet? I would bet that backing will be alot easier, since you getting the same braking amount as your truck.

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:17 pm

coolbreeze1 wrote:Have you pulled your 5'er with the new brake controller yet? I would bet that backing will be a lot easier, since you getting the same braking amount as your truck.

Yes, and yes definitely a lot better overall .
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down