Food and provisions

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Food and provisions

Post  Richard on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:09 pm

I just got back from Wal-Mart. I got "Liquid Gold" and biodegradable toilet paper, plates forks, cups and such, canned stews, soups, vegetables, meats and other canned goods, chips, juice, and other food. The bill came out to $253.24. Yikes. But I'll have food that lives in the camper, and will only have to pick up breads and meats for each trip this summer. Needless to say, I plan to do a LOT of eating this summer.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Food and provisions

Post  KralCamper on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40 pm

You go Richard!!! Exclamation

Time to go Camping!
Nights camped in 2013 - Hoping for a lot!
Nights camped in 2012 - 5
Nights camped in 2011 - 33
Nights camped in 2010 - 34
Having adventures and making memories
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Food and Provisions

Post  Crawford on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 am

I remember when camping was cheep now I say I just like camping It's really not cheep any more but its great
to be with other's who enjoy being with others doing there thing outside enjoying nature at it's best chet chat
and telling tall tales like the one about the wopper that got away. Crawford cheers bounce lol!
Crawford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:25 am

Crawford is right, it's not cheap. Well is anything cheap anymore? I like camping with friends, makes for a great trip.

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:43 pm

I always say that the only extra expenses for camping should be the campsite fee and the gas there and back since you gotta eat rather you are camping or at home. However, we always spend a ton when camping. We spend alot more than on a regular weekend at home. I am really hoping to change that.

I have to go shopping tomorrow since we are heading out Friday... I can't wait!

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregg on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm

Each time we camp for a weekend, the provisions come to about $100.Thats 2/3 of our weekly grocery bill !

Gregg
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:01 pm

I have no clue how you do it for $100.00. I would be thrilled to just pay $100.00.
Seriously, its not unusual to spend $300.00 for a weekend! But, that usually means
we ate out atleast once.

Okay, I feel challenged to shop wisely, not eat out, and meet your $100.00 Gregg. If all 5 of us are camping, there is no way I could do it though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:26 pm

Sorry but I do not like spending more then $50.00 when it comes to camping food. I will spend more when it comes to doing things. Like the train ride at Bandy creek, this is $18 a head, with four of us...MAN...

Now that is where I can't resist.

Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:53 pm

I am usually just buying food for one.. So I can get by on a few dollars.. maybe $20 for a weekend camping trip. But I will bring stuff home too.

chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile http://www.eatsleepcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 pm

Dang happycamper, what are you feeding your family? $300 for a weekend!!! I could feed us lobster for breakfast, lunch and supper and not come to that much. LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!! I might just like to try that - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE lobster. I don't know how much it will be to do our staples, but they stay in the TT for the entire season, don't get brought into the house afterwards.

Breakfast for the weekend is roll of sausage, dozen eggs, lb of bacon, 5 lb bag of flour for biscuits, butter, and milk.
Lunches need a loaf of bread and two or three meats, cheese and maybe lettuce/tomato.
Dinners will vary greatly, for example a beer stew with a loaf of bread or crackers (meat, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and can of beer).
OR crockpot curry chicken - chicken pieces, cream of chicken soup, curry powder served over rice with a salad left from lunch lettuce/tomatoes.
OR hobo pockets over the fire (see stew recipe)

We sure eat well, but it's not really expensive.

We can easily do a weekend on $75 for food, extended weekend is about $100.

I'll try to keep track of how much our weekend costs us this time - we have to stock up on all the staples AND we are having my whole family down for dinner on Easter Sunday. It's a 4 night trip, so it might run a little high.

Last edited by merrykalia on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sounded bitchy!!)

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:31 am

Awww Donna, you sounded bitchy? Smile Wish I had seen that Very Happy

I am going to try to do better. Craig tends to bring "plenty to share and plenty to spare" when it comes to beer. And, he buys the microbrewery stuff this is atleast $8.99 a six pack. So, if he brings 2, thats over $20.00 with tax. Then there are drinks for the rest of us. I just kicked my 6 pack of mountain dew a day habit (and feel so much better!) plus drinks for the big kids and juice for Meghan. I am going to start making iced tea for me. Then, we usually eat out atleast once... and that is stopping as well. We usually grill atleast once but he tends to splurge on steaks. And, he likes to cook a big breakfast on Saturday morning. It just all adds up. Add additional stuff into that like charcoal or firewood and it all adds up. Camping smarter is definitely tops on my agenda. The less we spend on each trip, the more trips we can take.

Have a great weekend!

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:15 pm

Sounds like the ideal site would be right between Merrykalia and Happycamper. I'll tell the kids to put on their "pitiful and hungry because Daddy tries to feed us vienna sasauge and spam" faces.

Last edited by Richard on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:37 pm

sounds good Richard.. the more the merrier : )

Actually, I made a MENU this time and a grocery list from that. Still did not do well. However, it was the first trip of the season so we had extra stuff to buy
And... NO eating out this trip!

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:56 pm

But they loved the vienna sausages, esp. after telling them they were little hot dogs Razz

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Coolbreeze1 said: But they loved the vienna sausages, esp. after telling them they were little hot dogs Razz -------------

That's true, but I had to eat the spam by myself. Tim fed me a steak. I fed him half a can of spongebob soup mixed with some stew, and some cheetos on the side.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:10 pm

Kralcamper and I are planning on sharing a can of SPAM on the next trip, perhaps there will be others who will want to join us? By the way, i grill SPAM and put it on toast with lettuce and a big slice of tomato (kinda like a redneck BLT), it's DAM good (oh sorry wrong thread)
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Alan, would be glad to join you for a spam sandwich What a Face

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  merrykalia on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:47 pm

OK, as I said in my last post, I would keep track of exactly how much I spent this weekend - 4 night - camping trip. We left on Thursday afternoon at 4 pm, arrived at Natural Tunnel about 5 pm (Butch had a couple of stops to make). I set up camp while he took the girls on to Kingsport for gymnastics, and then I went to the grocery store.

$72.00 for groceries and picked up dinner for me

Had breakfast for 4, lunch for 4, and dinner for 6 (parents came down) at camp on Friday. We had BEER STEW - that's beef stew, kinda, that is made using beer as the only liquid. Add meat, veggies and a 40 oz bottle of the cheapest beer you can find and it makes the most fabulous, wonderful stew. YUMMY!! Nothing left in that dutch oven except a little bit of a smell. It was ALL eaten!

On Saturday, had breakfast and lunch (for 4) and then the fun began - my brother/sister-in-law came down with their teenage son AND their grown son, his wife, her 2 children and his 2 children - yep, 9 of them, plus our parents, our pastor and his wife and another friend for dinner. BBQ chicken, BBQ pork roast, tortellini, green beans, grilled asparagus, mac-n-cheese, bread. Wonderful food, wonderful friends and family.

Had to go back to the store on Saturday evening to pick up some more drinks - with that crowd, we got wiped out. Spent another $25.00 for snacks/drinks and eggs to boil and color.

On Sunday, our church had breakfast, so that was no costs, but after church, the crowd re-visited the Hutchinson camp for Easter Dinner "on the grounds", so all the above, except pastor/wife and friend came back, but an additional aunt/uncle, niece and 2 other friends came to eat. Ham, scalloped potatoes, deviled eggs (from Easter Eggs), salad, and leftover BBQ chicken/pork.

Today, we ate whatever we had leftover for lunch and breakfast was bacon/eggs - both boiled and fried.

So, for less than $100, we fed a bookoo of people well!!!

Forgot to add that we bought a new dutch oven and I was planning dinners for our next camping trips using that ONLY!! We'll see how that works out.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 am

*sigh* Your quite an inspiration Donna Very Happy Sounds wonderful.

I really need to work on this budget thing.

Glad you had such a great weekend

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:51 am

Oh, I see, Tim's picky about who he eats Spam with. He wouldn't touch the Spam I put out, even though he saw me open the can and plop it on a paper plate. I even heated some of it on the stove. He drove into town to get Burger King instead.
Evil or Very Mad

Donna, I gained 5 Lbs. just reading your menu! Yummy sounding.
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Not picky, just didn't want to take away your enjoyment No

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 pm

I serve my SPAM with a thick slice of tomato, crisp lettuce, and a cold brew! If any of you have never had a Spam sandwich, come over to the Bivens camper and I will hook you up.
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:42 pm

"abivens" said: I serve my SPAM with a thick slice of tomato, crisp lettuce, and a cold brew! If any of you have never had a Spam sandwich, come over to the Bivens camper and I will hook you up.[/quote]-------

Thanks Alan Smile

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fisherpal2k on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 pm

WOW! I got loaded like Richard did on that one! Very Happy
We camped for four days this time and it took a whole $65 for us. That was mostly drinks too. We did have burgers and hotdogs and all the trimmings and we also ate a steak one night with salads and the fixings with baked tater and all.
Hope was playing on the play ground and when she found out we were gonna have shiskabobs she left there and came and helped out with them. She loves making them and helping get everything ready for them. This time we used chicken as the meat and it worked out pretty good.
I usually end up cooking all the meals except if she cooks breakfast. (I am usually out fishing by the time they get up) I do the outside and she does all the inside stuff. Works pretty well and the meal comes together at the same time.
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 pm

I definately do all the cooking on our trips, but I kinda like it. I would like to get better at it so practice makes perfect. I have found a well cooked and seasoned burger can make for as great a camping meal as the more elaborate meals. I did smoke ribs on a trip and it was good, but it was an incredible amount of work. I have been trying to stay with simpler meals and just doing a better job on them.
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next