Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Franklin NC

+3
craigw
abivens
Gawain
7 posters

Go down

Franklin NC Empty Franklin NC

Post  Gawain Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:02 am

Fisherpal,

I believe I about have Happy Camper talked into a camping trip to Franklin. I really want to mine for emeralds. I don't think I told any of you today that my major was geology (University of Kansas, 1981). I love rocks and minerals and I think Meghan would love to mine for emeralds in Franklin as well. And, it is such a beautiful area. Where is a good place to camp near Franklin? When I was there, I rode my motorcycle and camped in a motel.....LOL

I'm posting this to the group so everyone can benefit with your knowledge of the area.. or anyone else for that matter....

Thanks!

Craig
Gawain
Gawain

Back to top Go down

Franklin NC Empty Re: Franklin NC

Post  abivens Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 am

Geology, cool. I minored in Environmental Science and we took some classes out of the geology department. Very interesting subject.
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 pm

I never camped in Franklin since my family has a farm just about 15 miles from there. I do know that there are many Gem shops around the area for such. I would imagine that there would also be places you could go yourself and do your own.

Its a great area.
craigw
craigw
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Franklin NC Empty Franklin, NC

Post  fisherpal2k Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Its a great place up there. There is a lot of the places that will let you mine for gems and stuff and I know the little one will like it. Hope enjoys going out with me when we are gold panning and loves playing in the creek.

I will try to get back with you on the campgrounds. Let me look around and ask some of the folks.
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:03 am

I have a very cool rock that I'd love to know what it is. It is brown and glassy, but opaque, It has limestone attached to it. I'll bring it to a camping trip and hopefully you can give me an idea.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gawain Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:27 am

I'd love to look at it Richard. Sounds like calcite to me. I have a specimen that looks as you describe your rock. Calcite crystals form fairly quickly, so being attached to limestone is not a problem, as apposed to quartz, which takes eons to grow.

Craig

Richard wrote:I have a very cool rock that I'd love to know what it is. It is brown and glassy, but opaque, It has limestone attached to it. I'll bring it to a camping trip and hopefully you can give me an idea.
Gawain
Gawain

Back to top Go down

Franklin NC Empty Camping locator

Post  fisherpal2k Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:47 am

Hey Gawain here is a link to one of the sites that I use to locate a campground that I have never been to.
You can use it for any state, just go to the bottom of the page and click on whatever state you want to look at. There is a couple close to Franklin and some on the way.

http://www.rv-clubs.us/northcarolina_rv_campgrounds.html

There is some pretty intersting reading on there too.
fisherpal2k
fisherpal2k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gawain Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:17 am

Terrific Fisherpal, thank-you. I'll check it out.

Craig

fisherpal2k wrote:Hey Gawain here is a link to one of the sites that I use to locate a campground that I have never been to.
You can use it for any state, just go to the bottom of the page and click on whatever state you want to look at. There is a couple close to Franklin and some on the way.

http://www.rv-clubs.us/northcarolina_rv_campgrounds.html

There is some pretty intersting reading on there too.
Gawain
Gawain

Back to top Go down

Franklin NC Empty RE: FRanklin

Post  merrykalia Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Hey Craig, if and when you and Betty decide to go, let us know. My oldest, Elora, would absolutely LOVE that.

I'll let you do all the "pre-work" and then we'll just tag along!! That's my type of trip planning.

merrykalia
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/merrykalia?vhost=community

Back to top Go down

Post  Gawain Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:37 pm

No wonder you and my wife are friends... Shocked That sounds like her type of trip planning as well.....affraid

just kidding Happy Camper..... you have those business plans ready for Elkmont yet?

Craig

Looking forward to meeting you merrykalia....

merrykalia wrote:Hey Craig, if and when you and Betty decide to go, let us know. My oldest, Elora, would absolutely LOVE that.

I'll let you do all the "pre-work" and then we'll just tag along!! That's my type of trip planning.
x

Last edited by Gawain on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gawain
Gawain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Gawain wrote:No wonder you and my wife are friends... Shocked That sounds like her type of trip planning as well.....affraid

just kidding Happy Camper..... you have those business plans ready for Elkmont yet?

Craig

Looking forward to meeting you merrykalia....

merrykalia wrote:Hey Craig, if and when you and Betty decide to go, let us know. My oldest, Elora, would absolutely LOVE that.

x

That would be great if you came along .. the more the merrier Very Happy

I do not need any "business proposals" for Elkmont.. not unless we add another trip there. I am working on the "Official Meghan's Birthday Trip" proposal. But hey, you said you left all camping decisions up to me, remember? Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  KralCamper Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:10 pm

This sounds like an interesting place to go. I have bookmarked the website for possible camping trips. Geology is just one of many interests the I have that I know little, but love to learn more about.

Thanks for the information.
KralCamper
KralCamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum