Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Observation Knob

+2
coolbreeze1
Richard
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Observation Knob Empty Observation Knob

Post  Richard Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:42 am

This is my go-to park when Warrior's Path is full. Last year they were even furnishing free firewood if you split it yourself, and knew where it was piled up. They had some storm damage trees that they cut to length and stacked up for the campers, but not in plain site. (Yes, it really was for whoever wanted to use it.) It's a big park. They have some year-round rental sites, some reservation sites, and some "first come" sites. I usually do reservations. They offer nightly, weekly, and seasonal rates. It's a neat campground with the lake all around it. They have full hookups and plenty of spaces for big rigs. They have spots up on the hill with great views and shade, they have sunny spots, and they have spots right by the water.

If you have a boat, this would be the trip to bring it on. (I'll have my old patched up canoe that is at least as nice as my camper)

Observation Knob Park

Observation Knob Park is home to spectacular views of the area and is a non-alcoholic family campground on South Holston Lake in historic Sullivan County. A prime lakefront camping facility, Observation Knob offers 175 campsites with water and electric, a fishing pier, a boat ramp, hiking trails, playgrounds, and pavilion rentals. The park is located at 553 Knob Park Road, Bristol, only a few miles from NASCAR's "Fastest Half-Mile" Bristol Motor Speedway, and race fans are highly welcome! The camp is open seasonally from late March through October 31 from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., 7 days a week. For further information, call us at 423.878.1881.
http://www.historicsullivan.com/tourism_observationknob.htm (to see picture)

Pictured above: Observation Knob Park at Bristol

Give us a call at 423.323.4660 and let us help you make your visit to Sullivan County one of the most memorable vacation experiences ever!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fishing
South Holston Lake is situated in both Tennessee and Virginia. North of Observation Knob Park is the Virginia State line, while the areas of East and South are located in Tennessee. you are required to obtain proper license for each state.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picnic
Picnic at tables near the picturesque shore of South Holston Lake. Shelters and a small concert stage are available for rent to groups for meetings, parties and reunions.
Camping
Camp along the shore in a shaded campground with a beautiful view of the lake and mountains.
Camp Rules
General Camping Rules
Seasonal Camping Rules
Pet Rules
Golf Cart Rules

Rates
Rates listed below are subject to change, and anyone wishing to use the park is encouraged to call Observation Knob Park at 423.878.1881 for most current rates. The park has 175 camp sites with electricity (30 amp) and water. Most sites can accommodate up to 40 ft. campers. There is a 14-day maximum stay. Holiday and race weekends have special rates, with a 3-day minimum for holiday and race weekends. Reservations are suggested.

Park use only Entrance Fee - $2.00 per vehicle
Campsite with water and electric - $20.00 per day
Campsite weekly rate - $125.00
Campsite (no utilities) - $15.00
Overnight Guest fee - $2.00 per adult
Golf Cart permit - $5.00
Contact information
Dan Helton, Park Supervisor
553 Knob Park Road
Bristol, Tennessee

Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism: 423.323.4660

Here's a link to another group's camping plans for Observation Knob that has more details. http://www.tennclave.com/camping.html

Observation Knob Observationknob Observation Knob ObKnob040108 Observation Knob Campgrounds
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Observation Knob Empty Re: Observation Knob

Post  Guest Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:44 pm

Hey Richard. What area do you like the best? Or which section? What condition are the bathhouses in? I have driven through the campground numerous times. We have just never camped there. We boat there. I have it on my "must camp at" list for next season. I sure hope the lake level is up again next summer.

I would really love to have a house on that lake...

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:04 pm

I'd love to have a house on ANY lake.

The bathhouses are not the best. they are fair at the most. I use them, but they are mostly just kinda old. They clean them every day, though. I've camped down by the lake in the back (easy for the canoe) and I've camped on the hill in the back. I'll try to see if I can be more specific. I liked it up on the hill better because I didn't have people walking through my campsite, and I had a better view, and a better breeze. Both were good, but I'd give the edge to the hill. I was near the big rock that looks like a dog. I'd pick my spot based on the ease of getting to the bathrooms for my little kids. If it's within site, I can watch from my lawn chair. If it's around the corner, I go with them.

Last edited by Richard on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:17 pm

If they were open, I would go take a look at sites.
Guess I will just do some do-dad shopping online : )

These look kind of classy and appropriate...

awning lights

wow... these are tempting...

more classy lights

(No offense meant if someone here has these lights... just having fun)

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:24 pm

I've camped on the B loop (toward the high 20's, and that's near the old firewood stash), and either e-8 or e-9, and in either h1 or i1 (that area anyway)

Observation Knob Campground_sites
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:27 pm

happycamper wrote:

awning lights

more classy lights

Oh those are way too expensive and classy for what I have in mind. I'm thinking something more along the lines of this
Observation Knob JugLights547x99
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Richard, I think you may have created a do-dad monster. affraid

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:31 pm

I like the shot gun shell do-dads cheers cheers cheers

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Richard wrote:
happycamper wrote:

awning lights

more classy lights

Oh those are way too expensive and classy for what I have in mind. I'm thinking something more along the lines of this
Observation Knob JugLights547x99
Richard, keep your thoughts to yourself. If happycamper wants fancy do-dads, well she can have them

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 pm

With three kids in the house, we go through a lot of milk. It seems a shame not to put colored lights in them and then adorn a friend's camper, all redneck like.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Richard wrote:With three kids in the house, we go through a lot of milk. It seems a shame not to put colored lights in them and then adorn a friend's camper, all redneck like.
No, you should recycle the milk jugs not the Chex-mix Shocked

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:49 pm

seeing as how I am pretty creative.. and have too much time on my hands.. I just might have to "create" a really unique.. one and only.. GROUP of Volunteer Campers do-dads... stick with me here.. I am thinking... awning lights.. lampost.. candle holder...signpost.. flag.. that go together... and each group trip one (un)fortunate member gets the honor of being stuck with.. I mean having the good fortune of using all of the coordinating do-dads Laughing

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:53 pm

happycamper wrote:seeing as how I am pretty creative.. and have too much time on my hands.. I just might have to "create" a really unique.. one and only.. GROUP of Volunteer Campers do-dads... stick with me here.. I am thinking... awning lights.. lampost.. candle holder...signpost.. flag.. that go together... and each group trip one (un)fortunate member gets the honor of being stuck with.. I mean having the good fortune of using all of the coordinating do-dads Laughing

lol!
Happycamper, I kind of like your ideal. Just as long that I am not the (un)fortunate member that gets the do-dads on every trip Razz

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:18 pm

I hereby nominate my good friend CoolBreeze as being worthy of the honor of being the first to be honored with the array of do-dads that happycamper proposes, and that the tradition promptly stop once he is so adorned.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:20 pm

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Richard wrote:I hereby nominate my good friend CoolBreeze as being worthy of the honor of being the first to be honored with the array of do-dads that happycamper proposes, and that the tradition promptly stop once he is so adorned.
Richard you may nominate me for the award and have the tradition stopped, however I shall start a new tradition. It will be the 3 camping trips without a repair award. Laughing

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:13 am

coolbreeze1 wrote:
Richard wrote:I hereby nominate my good friend CoolBreeze as being worthy of the honor of being the first to be honored with the array of do-dads that happycamper proposes, and that the tradition promptly stop once he is so adorned.
Richard you may nominate me for the award and have the tradition stopped, however I shall start a new tradition. It will be the 3 camping trips without a repair award. Laughing

I don't have to worry about ever getting that one. Miss Danger will always be breaking something.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:53 am

Richard wrote:
coolbreeze1 wrote:

I don't have to worry about ever getting that one. Miss Danger will always be breaking something.
Richard, I should have elaborated on how you win. You get a do-dad if Miss Danger breaks before you have completed 3 trips in a row.

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:20 pm

Ohhhhh, then I better buy and attach a few dozen hooks. I'm bound to need them. The thing is, Miss Danger would look right at home with tacky do-dads. That fine 5er will feel embarassed.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Richard wrote:Ohhhhh, then I better buy and attach a few dozen hooks. I'm bound to need them. The thing is, Miss Danger would look right at home with tacky do-dads. That fine 5er will feel embarassed.

Just remember that fine 5'er doesn't need 2x4's to stay open Embarassed

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Every camper looks better with do-dads.
abivens
abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:45 am

abivens wrote:Every camper looks better with do-dads.

I couldnt agree more... life is too short to go do-dadless don't ya know Question

Back to top Go down

Post  Darcamper Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Ya! Cool, we are even getting cool do-dads for our camper for next year.

We want let you look so homely... Rolling Eyes
Darcamper
Darcamper
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Darcamper wrote:Ya! Cool, we are even getting cool do-dads for our camper for next year.

Well, we won't let YOUR 5er look so homely.
Richard
Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Richard wrote:
Darcamper wrote:Ya! Cool, we are even getting cool do-dads for our camper for next year.

Well, we won't let YOUR 5er look so homely.

Thanks for the correction to Dar's post. Then again maybe she does think that I look homely No

coolbreeze1
coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: