Elkmont Fireflies

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Elkmont Fireflies

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Reservation time is right around the corner for camping at Elkmont (in GSMNP) for the synchronized fireflies. If anyone has thought about going, I want to highly encourage you to make reservations within the next week or so. If you haven't heard about the fireflies, I will post a link to info. It is just such a really cool event! And only one of 2 places in the world that you can go to see synchronized fireflies takes place right outside of the Elkmont campground.

This is our 3rd year attending and it has become one of our favorite trips. At first, my kids were not interested in dry camping. However, it has become one of their favorite places to camp. Especially if you can get a riverfront site. We were able to book a riverfront site this morning at 10am, however, we booked it for a week. We did not get the site we wanted. However, I wont complain since it is riverfront.

I cannot recommend Elkmont nor the fireflies highly enough. The campground books up really quickly for this event.

I am not sure how many days we may end up staying. However, we will for sure be there from Thursday, June 10th thru Sunday, June 13th. I think we may head up to Jellystone for a couple of days after that.

If you have any questions about Elkmont or the fireflies, let me know! Here is the link..

fireflies

Back to top Go down

Re: Elkmont Fireflies

Post  chuck on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:40 pm

what are synchronized fireflies? What do they do?

chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile http://www.hometownsitedesign.com/camping.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:08 pm

Elkmont and somewhere in Asia are the only two places in the world that you will find them. For a period of maybe 2 weeks in June right outside the Elkmont campground, you will find thousands of fireflies that all blink the same pattern at the same time. Hundreds and hundreds of people come each night to see them. People are bused in from the Sugarlands Visitors Center. Campground access is restricted to campers only after around 5pm each night. People camping at Elkmont just walk up a path to view them.
We like to stay in the C-F loop as it has the shortest walk. The river sites in C-F are really nice! Last year we found a quiet section of the trail and were just in awe as we were surrounded on each side of the path by hundreds.. maybe thousands of fireflies all blinking in unison. Everything is pitch black and then they all start blinking.. then they all stop. It is a really neat experience, imho : )

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:55 pm

I checked out the link happycamper. It sounds really awesome.

Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:12 pm

well.. ya sold me on the synchronized fireflies ... unfortunately.. I tried booking. There isn't a campsite avail all week.. None.. nada.. zilch. I even tried booking for just 2 nights in the middle of the week.. but there's nothing available.

chuck
Charter Member - Admin
Charter Member - Admin

View user profile http://www.hometownsitedesign.com/camping.html

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks for the link Shocked

Coolbreeze1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:36 pm

chuck wrote:well.. ya sold me on the synchronized fireflies ... unfortunately.. I tried booking. There isn't a campsite avail all week.. None.. nada.. zilch. I even tried booking for just 2 nights in the middle of the week.. but there's nothing available.

Chuck, since you can't get in to see them, perhaps we can do it with sync flashlights at Smokey Bear. Or maybe plug and unplug our dodads all at the same time.

Richard
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile http://www.classifieddevelopment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Richard wrote:
chuck wrote:well.. ya sold me on the synchronized fireflies ... unfortunately.. I tried booking. There isn't a campsite avail all week.. None.. nada.. zilch. I even tried booking for just 2 nights in the middle of the week.. but there's nothing available.

Chuck, since you can't get in to see them, perhaps we can do it with sync flashlights at Smokey Bear. Or maybe plug and unplug our dodads all at the same time.

Now that would be something to see Shocked

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Hey can we catch these fireflies like we did when we were young?

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abivens on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Diane and I booked for the weekend before, The 4th, 5th etc...Hopefully we can catch some of the fireflies, if not we will just have a good time in a new campground!!

abivens
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Chuck, you have a pm : )

The earliest arrival date you could book for today was a June 6th arrival, and you can book for 7 nights. At 10am tomorrow you can book for June 7th arrival.

Elkmont is such a great campground. It is so peaceful. What site did you get?

I think I might have to get to Smoky Bear for the synchronized flashlights and/or doodads... : ) I think we have about 5 different types of awning lights.. I just might have to bring them all : )

Back to top Go down

Post  coolbreeze1 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:27 pm

happycamper wrote:Chuck, you have a pm : )

The earliest arrival date you could book for today was a June 6th arrival, and you can book for 7 nights. At 10am tomorrow you can book for June 7th arrival.

Elkmont is such a great campground. It is so peaceful. What site did you get?

I think I might have to get to Smoky Bear for the synchronized flashlights and/or doodads... : ) I think we have about 5 different types of awning lights.. I just might have to bring them all : )
Please don't bring all of your do-dads, Richard will try to talk you into putting them on my 5'er.

coolbreeze1
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:39 pm

I thought that was the plan.... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:31 am

abivens wrote:Diane and I booked for the weekend before, The 4th, 5th etc...Hopefully we can catch some of the fireflies, if not we will just have a good time in a new campground!!

It is hard to predict exactly when the fireflies will become active. Normally it is around the 2nd week of June and I believe they continue for about 2 weeks. I hope they have started already when you are there.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregg on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:34 am

Elkmont is a wonderful campground.the firefly show is outstanding.just a note, Elkmont is a dry campround, no power or water. they do have bathrooms there.with the scenery,you wont need hookups

Last edited by Gregg on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Gregg
Charter Member
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top